Why am I so tired

Options
I am over 300lb.
This week I started getting up at 6:30am and walking this little route around our neighborhood.
It is only a 10min walk tops, but I have to start some where.
Monday walked, was so tired all day, even after taking a 2 hour nap.
Tuesday I didn't walk at all, had energy all day and not tired.
Today I did my 10min walk and when I got home I felt shaky, so tired and nauseated.
I went and took a 2 hour nap again. An I still feel so tired.

Is this because I am so over weight and putting my body into shock
because it doesn't even know what exercise is. lol
Or is there some other reason?
Feeling discouraged as I am really determined to get this weight off, but I can't keep feeling so tired and get nothing done.

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    You might want to talk to a doctor.

Being wiped out and "needing" a 2 hour nap makes me think of one of two things after a 10 minute walk.
    1. Medical issue.
    2. Needing mental fortitude.

You can fix #2, but only if #1 isn't in play. If you're in that type of shape, I'd strongly suggest going to see your doctor, discussing it, and having a stress test done to clear you for physical activity/training.
  • ladycham
    ladycham Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I can't confirm this because your diary is closed... but my guess is that you're not eating enough calories.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,203 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you ahve your calories set very low, it can cause this. Many people come to MFP and try eating the minimum (1200 calories) to lose weight fast. How tall are you and how much do you weigh? This affects how many calories your body needs just to function. If you're eating less than your BMR (basal metabolic rate - google it and find a calculator), then you'll get tired - that's your body's way of dealing with you not giving it enough energy (food) to survive.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    It really could be a mixture of everything and anything.

Your best bed would be to listen to your body. And see a doctor if this tiredness is something that's impacting your life negatively.
  • nowolga
    nowolga Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. But it might also be what you are eating. Eating healthier foods and increasing my calories from below 1200 to 1200-1500 has helped me increase energy. When I was below 1200 all I wanted to do was rest. I found out eating less than 1200 is really bad for you. I also stopped eating out so much.
  • lukewind
    lukewind Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    When you are just starting out you should prepare for some sluggishness at first. All the abuse that it took to get to your weight does not go away quickly and when you start exercising your body is not gonna be happy. I can tell you that it may last a few weeks but once you break the wall by maintaining your routine and upping your time walking you will start to see way more energy.

If you don't see an improvement in energy in a few weeks or you feel severely tired constantly you could have some deficiencies. So look at your diet and make sure you are getting all your nutrients. This can go a long way to making you feel better.

Of course if becomes a constant seek medical help because it could be something else. Hope it all turns out well for you.
  • JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I was having this same problem (I'm 234 lbs) but I would work out and be so tired afterwards and be tired the next day and have to force myself to have the energy to work out. I was eating enough calories too and eating way healthier than I used to.

Turns out it was because I wasn't getting enough air thanks to asthma and freaking mold in our house. I got medicine and I'm a whole lot better. I'd be better without the mold, but that is hopefully changing this next month.
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    you have primary lymphedema in your legs correct? You need to see your Doctor and find out what you should or should not be doing, how best to get started at exercising... with lower calorie intake (I'm guessing you've lowered yours?) and putting any strain at all on your legs you will be very tired. You have a very special condition and the only person who can safely advise you is your Doctor!
  • HarmonyG1182
    HarmonyG1182 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the input and suggestions.
    I am eating 1500+ calories a day.
    Eating all healthy foods. Nothing processed, mostly chicken, some read meat, with veggies and fruits.
    I have talked to my doctor, and walking is what was suggested to me to get started due to my
    lymphedema. If it persists I will go to the doctor. I was thinking it is just because I am so over weight
    and not use to exercising at all.