To join a gym or not to join a gym

Options
I am thinking about joining a local gym - I have been training at home for about 2 weeks now - every day and really enjoying it - but I am limited to what I can do - I would love to have access to some different exercises etc even if it is the ability to go in to the gym on a wet night and walk for a couple of hours on a treadmill

but ....

I am worried that they will take one look at me and fear for the machines getting broken,

However

I know that I could do with some professional advice on exercises to strength my body in some places - my lower back is weaker than I would like and i also dont have access to weights for my legs etc which I would like to strengthen.

Any advice ?

Replies

• darknight0dc
    Options
    If you want to join a gym & you will actually go on a regular basis then do it!
    I was considering joining the Anytime Fitness in my town, but I'm concerned about how much it's going to cost :(
    I love stationary bikes & treadmills & I'd like somewhere to lift weights, but I can't decide if it's worth the money right now when I can easily just walk/ jog outside.
  • HW2Hottie
    HW2Hottie Posts: 100
    Options
    I am thinking about joining a local gym - I have been training at home for about 2 weeks now - every day and really enjoying it - but I am limited to what I can do - I would love to have access to some different exercises etc even if it is the ability to go in to the gym on a wet night and walk for a couple of hours on a treadmill

but ....

I am worried that they will take one look at me and fear for the machines getting broken,

However

I know that I could do with some professional advice on exercises to strength my body in some places - my lower back is weaker than I would like and i also dont have access to weights for my legs etc which I would like to strengthen.

Any advice ?

First you have to be comfortable to go or else it will be a waste of money. :) Go! Go! Go! You should not give a crap what they think because they do not have to live in your skin and if they did they too would be at the gym trying to loose weight. Hold your head up high and walk in the door. Do this for you and don't care what anyone else thinks or has to say. The trainers can really help you alot and you will need to train and keep your muscles strong so that you can keep building up. I say go for it.
  • kbubp
    kbubp Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    If you're gonna join, now is the time. January is when all the gym noobies come out to play. The staff will help you learn how to use the machines, so don't sweat that. Furthermore, it's commendable that you are in the gym in the first place.

Go for it.
  • Fliegenschwein
    Fliegenschwein Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    There are all sorts of shapes and sizes at my gym and no-one takes any notice of anyone else.

I'd say go for it. I know some people prefer to work out at at home, but for me there are too many distractions and I know I`'ll get a far better work out at the gym becuase thats the only reason to be there and I tend to be far more focused. I guess you wont know which you prefer till you've tried both :bigsmile:

Good luck
  • sopper6175
    Options
    My advice is to tour as many gyms as possible to get a feel for each before you commit. Spend a week on it: go during the times you are most likely to visit - and ask lots of questions. This was vital to my choice. Of course the location, cost, and range of equipment/staff/sports/classes are important, but you have to be comfortable wherever you go.
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Go for it!
    While I can understand your fear of going, in reality everyone is there for the same reason, to improve their health. And there are all shapes and sizes. Also, trainers can be a great resource, especially when you get "stuck" at a plateau and more importantly, teach you how to work out the correct way.

I recommend checking out several gyms. I used to belong to NY Sports Club but ended up cancelling because I just wasn't using all the features that they had (and that I was paying for). I basically was only doing weights and the treadmill and found a local small name gym for about half the price. Most have trial memberships available for either a small fee or completely free which is a great way to find one that your most comfortable with before signing up.

Also, being the beginning of the new year, lots of gyms are probably still running membership specials.

Good luck!
  • hannahncakes
    Options
    If you think it will benifit you then go for it deffinately. Nobody really judges each other at the gym (unless you go to a really horrid one!) it's just the preconceptions we all have.