weight a minute

Options
How often do most people weigh themselves.

My plan is to keep weighing once myself every 5 weeks (made easier because I don't own a set of scales) because I'm hoping that the less I weigh myself, then the less chance I have of looking at something that can disappoint me.

I'm looking for peoples view point on this. Whether or not you think I have the right idea or whether you think looking more could achieve better goals? Or does it even matter how often I look at the scales.:happy:

Replies

• sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I weigh once every week or two when I feel like I have lost weight. Daily weighing used to stress me out. I would suggest taking measurements once a week to monitor your progress then just weigh when you can.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    everyone is different. I weigh every day. works for me, doesn't depress me, it helps me be accountable.
  • The_Hungry_Atheist
    Options
    Weigh In Wednesday for me.
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I weight myself every time I go to the gym - usually 4 times a week. I know my weight fluctuates by about a pound day by day (is this the case for everyone else or am I weird??) so this allows me to take an average for the week.

Hope that helps!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Daily followed by taking a rolling 7 day average and using that data to make decisions about activity/intake.

That being said if the scale causes you emotional distress then weekly may be a better option.
  • thyme4
    thyme4 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, but more for accountability. I don't log unless the weekly average changes more than a pound. Within a week I tend to fluctuate within a 3 - 4 pound window, based on workouts, carbs, sodium, etc. so I don't worry about it unless the trend triggers an alarm. It was useful for me to recognize how much fluctuation was "normal" for my eating and exercise habits.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    It depends on the individual and how it affects you mentally. I weigh myself several times a day because I love to see how different aspects of my day (food, activity...) affect me. I find it fascinating for some reason. However, my fitness goals are not based on a goal weight. I want to be strong, healthy and attractive, whatever that weight may be.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Daily followed by taking a rolling 7 day average and using that data to make decisions about activity/intake.

That being said if the scale causes you emotional distress then weekly may be a better option.
    ^This
  • HannahLynn91
    HannahLynn91 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    This is largely based on personal preference. I like to weigh myself first thing in the morning Monday through Saturday. I don't weigh myself on Sundays nor do I log food.

I like to see the fluctuations my body does. From weighing myself everyday, I know that I'm lightest on Thursdays. I feel like I see a cycle that my body goes through throughout the week. It doesn't depress me, if anything it motivates me more. I only take my measurements once a month and pics once a month...which I just started doing.

Some people don't weigh themselves at all and just go by how their clothes fit and the mirror looks. To each their own. As I get more to my goal weight I'll probably only weigh myself once a week.
  • HannahLynn91
    HannahLynn91 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, but more for accountability. I don't log unless the weekly average changes more than a pound. Within a week I tend to fluctuate within a 3 - 4 pound window, based on workouts, carbs, sodium, etc. so I don't worry about it unless the trend triggers an alarm. It was useful for me to recognize how much fluctuation was "normal" for my eating and exercise habits.

^^ This exactly. ^^
  • ohaston
    ohaston Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    It depends on the individual and how it affects you mentally. I weigh myself several times a day because I love to see how different aspects of my day (food, activity...) affect me. I find it fascinating for some reason. However, my fitness goals are not based on a goal weight. I want to be strong, healthy and attractive, whatever that weight may be.

Thats me! I weigh sometimes before and after using the bathroom , taking a shower, etc. Its amazing how much we DONT dry off bc every time I weigh AFTER the shower, Im a few OZs higher .. (this is AFTER I dry off) WTH?
    But Yes, I do like the fact that I have become so in tune with my body that I can say, "I feel heavier" and get on the scale and its a LB or 2 higher. Its crazy but its the truth. But please do whats best for you.
    I have a friend that Rarely gets on the scale .. Every week she tries on the same pair of pants (that she use to not be able to button and are now getting too loose) ... Weird but thats her method!.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    everyone is different. I weigh every day. works for me, doesn't depress me, it helps me be accountable.

Me too :blushing: I hop on there & figure I'm just 'checking' :laugh:
    My husband on the other hand doesn't weigh any where near as often.
    He uses his belt to gauge how he's doing.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I don't own a scale either. Therefore, I only weigh myself every month or two. I'm just looking to stay within my maintenance range so, for me, that's often enough.
    When I was losing, I weighed weekly.
  • lhippen
    lhippen Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I too weigh everyday just to help me be accountable. It works well for me.
  • hdtoolgirl
    hdtoolgirl Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Monday mornings to keep myself in check over the weekend.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I used to only weigh myself when I had a session with my personal trainer, he moved to a different city, but still writes workouts for me and helps me when I get down on myself about anything, but I only weigh myself once or twice a month. Scale has hardly moved for the last 3-4 months.
  • fitnessgyal913
    Options
    Once a week, if I did it more than that, I would drive myself crazy
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and pay more attention to the TREND than to the actual weight.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    How often do most people weigh themselves.

My plan is to keep weighing once myself every 5 weeks (made easier because I don't own a set of scales) because I'm hoping that the less I weigh myself, then the less chance I have of looking at something that can disappoint me.

I'm looking for peoples view point on this. Whether or not you think I have the right idea or whether you think looking more could achieve better goals? Or does it even matter how often I look at the scales.:happy:

I weight daily when at home. The choice how often to weigh is entirely a personal one unless you have been advised otherwise by your health care provider.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily in the mornings and use the data to calculate a moving average to determine my TDEE.