Putting weight back on?

Options
I'm at the start of my new lifestyle plan. I have around 35lbs to lose and have lost 7lbs already (2 weeks in). I'm happy with this, and anyone who as asked how I'm sticking to it....I've directed them here to MFP.

My problem is this, when I tell anyone that I'm sticking to 1,200 cals a day, they all say the same thing...."oh you're going to put that weight back on as soon as you start eating normally again".

Now basic maths tells me this is not true. If I only eat what my body needs to function (after I have lost the weight), so around 1,800-2,000, then surely I won't pile the weight back on?

They have me worried though.

Reassurance please?

Replies

• ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't eat over what your body maintains at you will not gain.I think what they are saying is if you eat real low cal, lose the weight, and then go right back to your old eating habits (high cal) you will gain it back. Now that's true.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't gain the weight back once you start eating your maintenance amount of calories as long as you're eating the same foods that you're eating now.
  • alisons7598
    alisons7598 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    If you continue with MFP after wards there is a place to adjust your calories for maintaining so you should be good if you stay with that:)
  • KatieM7
    KatieM7 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I made is so that my daily calorie goal was 1600 a day because I did not want to be gaining anything back. I did this by putting the weight I wanted to lose each week to a 1/2 lb. You may lose slower but "slow and steady" wins the race. :wink:
  • mirandam1076
    Options
    Multiply your current weight by 12 and that is what you need to maintain.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options

Not for me. 1750 maintains me, whereas 132 x 12= 1584. I would lose .5 lbs/wk if I did that! And did!
  • LauraSmyth28
    LauraSmyth28 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all replies, just what I needed.
  • LauraSmyth28
    Options

Well I'm glad you posted that as then I will only need 1,620 to maintain. I was going by the old "all women need 2,000 cals per day" motto.
  • ouryear002
    ouryear002 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    2,000 caloeries a day is what put me here! :laugh: Where did that number come from!!!
  • mirandam1076
    Options
    Some might disagree about the X 12 but the number makes sense to me and I think that the 2000 cal thing is based on an average male.:flowerforyou:
  • LauraSmyth28
    Options
    It's supposedly 2,500 for a man.

That's a huge amount of food!!