Replies

• lkhaycook
    lkhaycook Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I never use fabric softener on workout clothes. Most of mine are wicking material and it is not good for that type of material. It stops the wicking ability.

WAIT WHAT!?

Everything I have that is UnderArmour brand says not to use fabric softener on it, I never really thought about the reason though.

I don't put anything like UnderArmour in the drier much less use anything aggressive on it- it gets washed and line dried.

No exceptions.

I think a big part is- leaving them to sit- I tend to toss mine on the top of the pile- so they don't get flat out buried but it happens. Don't let them sit balled up and wet.
    Wash them between uses.
    I mostly line dry my clothes too- anything with heavy elastic/spandex in it- no drier- it kills the elastic faster.

I haven't ever really had an issue with it. I use woolite as well.

I would buy a few more outfits to wear so you can rotate them and they aren't getting used as heavily. That might help.
  • Itlngrl
    Itlngrl Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My son played football. Went to camp in August with 21 changes of clothes and towels. As they got used they were thrown in garbage bags and returned home that way a week later. The stank was so bad it made my eyes water.
    The first wash was vinegar to counteract the ammonia.
    Second wash was detergent and bleach.
    Two rinses
    Then line dry in the sun.

I found that synthetics hold on the odor more than cotton.
    I tried oxyclean and that seemed to help also.

OMG!! The stench from my sons football clothes/gear is like NO OTHER!! UGHHHHHH!!! LOL

I use BLEACH when my workout clothes are stanky! Works perfectly fine. Although, I have had to throw a few things away before. Somethings just can't be salvaged :(
  • dottydawn73
    Options
    Bump
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!
    I didn't know where else to put this topic, but I want to know what you guys do to get the stank out of your clothes? I wear the same clothes and I sweat a lot and it seems that some bacteria have decided to make a home in my favorite workout gear. I saw a detergent in the sports equipment store specifically for this, but I'd prefer a home remedy. Yesterday I washed my stuff with clorox 2 and detergent in cold water because I want to keep the colors, and put it out in the sun to disinfect/dry but it still smells.

I wash them. I use a sports wash we pick up at REI. Never had a problem with smelly gym clothes, and I'm a heavy sweater. I do have a problem with not being able to clean out my five fingers and get the stank out though.