Can I count this as exercise?

Options
My coworker and I spend our lunch hour walking up and down our two-story work building. It's 1/8 of a mile long, we walk down one end, up the stairs, down the hall, then down the stairs and so on for 60 minutes. We usually work up a mild sweat, my heart rate goes up on the stairs and we end up doing maybe 16 sets of stairs.

For the calories burned calculator, I input walking at 2.5mph (just a guess) and it says about 224 calories burned... but I always feel really guilty eating those back because they don't feel earned.

What do y'all think?

Replies

• merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    It's exercise, and a decent amount at that. Add it!
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I would say to count it. Add it in and good job!
  • AbbyLu
    AbbyLu Posts: 29
    Options
    You earned them, that's awesome!
  • fixpc
    fixpc Posts: 21
    Options
    YES YES YES a good one too i would think 500 Calories or more burned .30 min on the stair master would be 418 cal so that's only counting the climbing part
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Definitely count it!
  • 623Hernandez
    Options
    Hells yeah!! ;) great job!
  • ladiluvbug83
    ladiluvbug83 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I hope this helps you. When I first started out on my exercise journey I started with walking around our building at work. It was .3 of a mile and I would walk as many times as I could in 25 minutes (because I only get 30 min for lunch) instead of eating lunch.
    Don't get me wrong I had lunch but it was normally a protien shake so I could drink while I walked. Well I kept it up for about 10 months. I of course added walking at home to my exercise regimen and now I can walk on the treadmill for an hour at a time without stopping. So I say yes definitely add it as your exercise. You have to get your exercise in any way, at any time you can. If you would like a new friend to help you with your journey you may add me to your list. By, the way thank you I think I am going to start my walking at lunch again.

SARAH
  • KatalynasMommy
    KatalynasMommy Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I agree it counts, you could always try using a heart rate monitor or heart rate watch if you want to be more accurate.