Goals - many little ones or a few biggies?

Options
amybyrd73
amybyrd73 Posts: 15 Member
Hi everyone! I'm quite new to MFP and just trying to navigate my way around all it has to offer, figured out that there is this fun little message board! I currently have about 100 or so pounds to lose to get to my final goal weight, 100 pounds seems sooooo out of reach. Wondering about goal setting. Do most of you who have a ton of weight (over 50 pounds) to lose set your goals high or do you set multiple mini goals? I am trying to set multiple mini goals, because I think that's easier for me to handle, and I won't get frustrated as quickly or as easily. For some reason, I think doing this in 10 pounds increments is psychologically easier on my mental state lol! I have chronic pain due to psoriatic arthritis and fibromyalgia so I can't "go for the gold" all at once, lots of little incremental steps seems obtainable. Anyway, I'm curious how you all do it, what type of goal setting helps you stick with it?

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I've lost 130 over the past 5-6 years and for me the way to go was small goals. I set mine like "my usual weight" (when I was at a heavier weight), increments of 20 lb, and then amounts like my previous lowest adult weight, my 9th, 8th, 6th grade weights, etc. Obviously that wouldn't be a good idea for everyone but I was already an overweight adult size by middle school so it works for me ;-)

Everyone's different though...I know a woman who started at 277 lb and her goal was 135 and she reached it...but for me that would have been incredibly daunting & overwhelming and I probably wouldn't have even begun.

Good luck!
  • amybyrd73
    Options
    Wow, 130 gone! Congrats that's awesome!!
    This definitely inspires and motivates me that such a huge loss can be attainable with little mini goals.
  • josephsgoddess
    josephsgoddess Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    well i just started a few weeks ago and i'm just happy it's going down at all lol. I could stand to lose 100 but as you say, that's rather a daunting thought. I decided that instead of a goal weight i would just try doing the best i can every day, if i slip up oh well tomorrow is another fresh start. I have lost 7lbs so far and my weight has fluctuated a bit but has never gone back up to the original number and thats good enough for me. I'm counting my calories and figure that i will probably have to do so for the rest of my life. I use the treadmill 5 days a week at min. and use it for as long as i can. sometimes half an hour, today an hour and a half. I also have arthritis and fibromyalgia so some days are better than others. Good luck, or should i say, "never give up, never surrender!" because good luck implies failure is an option
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    a million micro goals, so i feel i am constantly progressing and succeeding
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Technically you have a goal, which is split up into projects, and those in turn have milestones and deadlines.

When it comes to lifestyle change, I'd be weary of plotting concrete weight-loss milestones into a calendar because you just can't control it directly. Amount of sleep, calories, exercise etc. however can be measured and hence are suitable to be outlined in detail if you wish.

Your goal is golden if you follow the SMART criteria: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=SMART_criteria
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I have a long term goal but, in between, I have 5 pound goals.
  • atkinsshake
    atkinsshake Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I
  • atkinsshake
    atkinsshake Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am with you...I do 5 lbs at a time. I too have lots of lbs to lose but I can pychologically look at that, I love your ticker. Good idea to set it at 10!:smile:
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I have my ticker set to my main goal. In my head, I have a series of goals. For example, hitting the Normal BMI weight was one goal. Another is to be a different BMI in about a month and a little (my wedding anniversary). Little goals help keep me focused on small, steady progress. My tickers helps me see the big picture.
  • strassenkoenigin
    Options
    I never had to lose 50 pounds or more. But I struggled with 30 pounds once and I found that the pounds come off easily when you have a lot to lose. Once you get close to your ideal weight, it gets harder and harder. So I would set big goals first and then go with smaller goals. I was watching Extreme Weight loss the other day and this seems to be what the experts recommend.
  • spideywebb77
    spideywebb77 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have both small goals and large. When I started I needed to lose 147 lbs. I am now 1/2 way there. If I think about it too much another 72 lbs seems a great distance to go.. and it is, but I look at the small 10lbs as a victory. So my upcoming goals are at 220 (10 lbs loss). At 209 I move from Obese to overweight, 199 in onederland, 173 I move from overweight to normal so i will plug one in at 186 so Its not so far to go between the 2. Once I get to 173 I will only have 23 lbs to go! So yeah on the face of it there is a long way to go but the reality is you can break it up into small bites for those little victories that keep you motivated.
  • enzosmama
    enzosmama Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is 125 lbs less than my starting weight. That is my main goal, but I have set up small goals/rewards along the way to keep me motivated and help celebrate even the small successes. This is what I have on my profile:

Goals:

For Every 5 lb loss- A new song for my workout playlist!

Lose 15 lbs by 8/16:
    Reward: A new Sweaty Band headband to use during workouts

Lose 20 lbs
    Reward: A digital food scale

Lose 25 lbs- Less than 100 to go!
    Reward: Bluetooth earbuds for my workouts

Lose 35 lbs
    Reward: A massage and a new blender bottle

Lose 40 lbs (this is where I was in December 2012 when I was doing MFP!):
    Reward: Fitbit One

Lose 50 lbs
    Reward: New bras and a new bathing suit for swim workouts

Lose 65 lbs
    Reward: New pants and jeans

Lose 76 lbs- Back in the 100's! Only 50 lbs to go!
    Reward: A manicure/pedicure and new workout clothes

Lose 90 lbs
    Reward: Tattoo on my back

Lose 100 lbs
    Reward: A Spa day including body wrap, massage, facial, manicure, and pedicure.

Lost 115 lbs- Book a boudoir photo session for when I hit my goal weight

Lose 125 lbs by 12/31/15: - Goal Weight!
    Reward: Shopping trip for a pair of designer jeans and other new clothes- I am sure I will have to replace most of my wardrobe by this point, including bras and underwear!
  • spideywebb77
    spideywebb77 Posts: 126 Member
    Options

Lose 20 lbs
    Reward: A digital food scale

Do you already have one of these? If you find yourself having any issues you may want to go ahead and get it. Quite instrumental in my success.

Lost 115 lbs- Book a boudoir photo session for when I hit my goal weight

Heck yeah!! :happy:
  • MeganAnne89
    MeganAnne89 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I always recommend breaking everything into smaller increments. Focus on the little goals because they seem much more attainable. If you say to yourself, "god, I need to lose 100 pounds, how am I going to succeed?" it sounds incredibly daunting. But if you shake it up and say, "I'm going to lose 10 pounds in the next six weeks" that sounds much more doable, right? Find a small goal for yourself, reach it, pat yourself on the back, and then set another.
  • vmlabute
    vmlabute Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    You should try to set one big long term goal and a few small ones in between. It seems to work for me well!
  • amybyrd73
    Options
    Wow love all your responses - it looks like I'm not too crazy for setting these mini goals because that's what I see most of you doing too! I Love the reward system after meeting each goal set! I really want a fitbit (i have a step tracker on my phone but it's inconvenient to carry with me at all times) so I think that may be my first reward when I meet my first goal.

I do have a digital food scale and I use it daily, and in the morning when I am prepping my breakfast and lunch for work it helps me stay on track and I know exactly what I am taking to work and what I have available to eat, is the appropriate portion sizes.

I am so glad I found MFP - there seems to be a lot of support, and lots of great ideas and input from members. Thanks everyone!!!
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I've taken my overall goal and broken it down into stages. That way it doesn't seem as overwhelming to me.
  • toolhead87
    toolhead87 Posts: 10
    Options
    I've only started using MFP a while ago myself, I've lost 70lbs. since early 2013 (down from 300lbs.)
    My final goal is 200, right I'm shooting for 209 to get in to the LASD Academy if all goes well I'll lose those last 10 pounds while I'm in the Academy.
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    I have lots of goals to help me break it down. I started with 165 to lose.

I have 10 pound goals, and for reaching those I get a new book (I love to read, and would be buying new books anyway, this just gives me a little motivation).

I have a few bigger mini goals... Changes in classification on the BMI scale, passing my lowest weight in recent memory, getting below 200lbs, etc. Those rewards are TBD (to be discussed heh) with the husband, and finances, but will probably be crafting gadgets and supplies since I love to learn new crafting skills.

I also have fitness goals, but those are pretty nebulous at the moment until I can figure out what my regular workouts will be (Pending a move, and access to fitness equipment)

Every little bit of motivation helps me. :) Good luck!
  • KnickersInATwist
    KnickersInATwist Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I break my goals into 5lb chunks too, keeping the big goal in mind! Completely overwhelming if you just look at the big picture, a journey of 1000 miles and all that jazz...