Running Advice

Hi I have started running a few weeks ago. Is it best to run everyday or to have a break in between runs. Thank you :-)

Replies

• thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Hi I have started running a few weeks ago. Is it best to run everyday or to have a break in between runs. Thank you :-)
    As a beginner, I would sugges going every other day if you can. Once that really gets into a routine and you want to amp it up then run two days, off a day. REPEAT.

Biggest thing you dont want to do is rush it though at the beginning. You can get injuries and mental burnout if you try too much, too soon.

Check out the c25k program. Even if you dont have plans to do one it is a good starting point.
  • teenie_71
    teenie_71 Posts: 44
    i try to run every other day but some weeks i'll switch it up and only run on the weekends. I love running and its def my go to exercise but i also do yoga and pilates and strength training. Best thing is to listen to your body, if you can run everyday, go for it, if you feel you need a break, take a day off! Happy running!
  • my_2_cents
    my_2_cents Posts: 109 Member
    If your body hurts, then it isn't ready for more. You have to really pay attention to injuries early on, and only do as much as your body can handle. Know the difference between aches and true pain. One easy one I read somewhere was that if your first few steps in the morning hurt, then you are not ready to run that day.
  • rachface1234
    rachface1234 Posts: 227 Member
    For a while a rest day in between is super helpful. Even after you've been running a while: you will learn to pay attention to your body. When I "restart" running back from a break, I always download a couch to 5k type program on my phone and use it to pace myself to get back up to running 3-5 miles again. It suggests you do three times per week with a rest day between, which helps your muscles recover and your body to get used to it ;). Right now I run anywhere from 2-5 days per week, but my best runs are still when I'm doing about 3x per week with a little rest in between!
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Couch-to-5K for beginners is designed (by seasoned runners) to be no more than three times a week. Your body is going through huge changes when running and you need to give it time to adjust slowly enough.