In search of Lower carb/sugar sweet suggestions

Options
farmers_daughter
farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
I'm looking for something sweet, my sweet tooth is telling me Mt. Dew, milk chocolate and whatever those birthday treats are in the cube down from me. LOL

What I don't need is people telling me everything in moderation...I know that already, I'm looking for new Lower carb/sugar recipes for something that is not savory.

Thank you!

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Clementines are a great sweet. And right now it's cherry season and those are wonderfully sweet. For more of a dairy-type sweet -- a glass of milk with a capful of vanilla extract is good. A couple tablespoons of honey stirred into some plain Greek yogurt.

I found diet drinks with artificial sweeteners drove almost insurmountable sweet cravings. When I quit my Diet Coke addiction and stopped putting Sweet'n'Low in my tea and coffee, those desperate sweet cravings calmed down -- not immediately but within a week. This isn't true for everyone but it is for some of us and there's some research showing it's a true effect of artificial sweeteners for some.

Back to sweet treats: those little single serving cups of pineapple in its own juice, applesauce ...

Need to bake something sweet to serve for dessert? Try a clafouti -- very little flour and relatively little sugar for a tasty, easy dessert. It's basically a very thin batter poured over sweetened fruit and baked. There are lots of recipes online.

Ooh -- a fruit smoothie -- milk + fruit + a little honey in the blender. Freeze a banana or some blueberries and whir those with milk or milk and yogurt to get something really wonderful.

I'm sure others have lots of good ideas. No chocolate on my list because it gives me a headache. Sigh. I miss chocolate.
  • farmers_daughter
    Options
    Oh Heidi! I love you!
  • bane0317
    bane0317 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I agree with the artificial sweetener advice. While I still have diet soda at night I have decreased my usage a good deal. If I want iced tea I get ~80% unsweet and ~20% sweet - it gives it just enough to make it sweet but not as much as normal. I also use real sugar instead of Splenda in my coffee now. I don't feel like I am constantly wanting something sweet! I understand the "moderation" comments!

I figure I am better off with a few extra calories from real sugar and not having the cravings than eating a lot of artificially sweetened items that make me overeat even more.
  • rockstrong
    rockstrong Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Heidi's Clafouti recipe works for me! And my family likes it too. It's great for my sweet tooth or a hunger spell without adding loads of calories.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    I actually swear by artificially sweetened everything. Splenda is actually made from sugar, out of which the makers took everything bad. Therefore, it might not offer so many adverse effects.

Sugar-free candy is my vice!

If you really need to add a bit of sugar to your day, adjust the rest of your day so you can "afford" it.
  • runmama262
    Options
    If there are birthday treats in the cube down from you, I suppose you don't have a blender handy. But I'll share anyway... Just made these yesterday and they're amazing! Both my 9 and 14 year old sugar addicts loved it too.

1 frozen banana
    1 cup almond milk (we used regular unsweetened)
    1/4 teaspoon almond or vanilla extract
    1/2 tablespoon cocoa powder

Blend it up... it's like a milkshake :)
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,934 Member
    Options
    Haha I always seem to get the impression that those "moderation" comments are just thrown in at the end of a response telling you to cut loose. The responders never know how often you've "allowed yourself a treat" so its not too useful to hear.

I usually opt for an herbal tea (peach or raspberry flavour) when I'm truly not hungry or for Mio in water.

Maybe you could consider buying those little halloween sized Smartie (M&M) packs and eat that... or buy some bulk chocolate and separate it into little packets before eating it. And then have only one with you at a time.

Fruit is always a good option :) And if you have to prep it, maybe dip just the tips into some melted dark chocolate it would feel like a real treat when you go to eat them later.

MMM or dip the fruit in yogurt and FREEZE them! AH that would be yummy.
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I am stuck on iced coffee with sugar free French Vanilla creamer. i never like dcoffe until I tried it iced. I am also in love with the French Vanilla creamer, it is sweet and creamy and flavorful. I also comes in premeasure containers so I don't go overboard. I put it in oatmeal with crush walnuts,YUM! Smash a bannana add a little whipped peanut butter, throw an the creamer and freeze for about an hour. Try over fresh fruit,think strawberries and cream. The creamer comes in alot of other flavors, but I stuck on French Vanila, LOL, Hope this helps!!
  • mrbyte
    mrbyte Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I like my diet snapple. and sugar free jello and whipped cream for the ultra low carb treat.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Diet mountaint dew. Zero calories I think!
  • sparkerxoxo
    Options
    Protein shakes made with unsweetened almond milk work well for me! or a very small package of the darkest chocolate you can find (the darker the chocolate the less sugar is in it...typically)
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    If I want a little sweet thing, I eat a couple of marshmallows with a cup of coffee, or suck on one boiled sweet. I have also had a fun size Milky Way or Crunchie bar when I have a few more calories to play with.

Heidi has lots of good ideas.

I also suggest making sure you drink lots of water and eat a fair amount of low fat protein to keep cravings at bay.
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy the Dole chocolate covered banana slices - 4 chunks for 100 calories. I hear they also have strawberries. It is not low carb per se (bananas with dark chocolate) but it is portion controlled and low calories and very satisfying.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Iced coffee,
    8 ounces coffee two equal, 2tbsp fat free half and half. Place in a large glass with lots of ice.

Cold, sweet. Does the trick for me.
  • Sarasari
    Sarasari Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    My weakness is Peanut Butter, so when I found this I was in heaven: Core an apple slice into rings, spread lightly with low fat peanut butter. Sprinkle lightly with coconut flakes, chocolate chips, and chopped pecans. You don't need a lot of any of the toppings. It is very filling. My daughter loves it too, so it's a great treat to share.
  • boolz
    boolz Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I do this when I want a sweet breakfast, but it would be good for dessert, too:

- frozen flax or high protein waffle, toasted
    - top with .5 C low fat ricotta, optionally sweetened with a little truvia
    - top that with: three or four strawberries, sliced

The ricotta is a good protein boost, so it's filling without being heavy.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I do NOT have a sweet tooth, but there's still once in awhile where I do need something a little bit sweet that's not fruit. (For example, I'd MUCH MUCH rather have a blueberry muffin or scone than a cupcake, you know?) One of my recent faves - toast with peanut butter and honey. I do a slice of whatever sort of toast fits my day (I vary between that 35 calorie/slice bread (that's mostly air, lol) when I'm short on calories and/or need some fiber, and Trader Joe's sprouted wheat bread when I have a few more calories and/or want a bit more protein), with a tablespoon of peanut or almond butter (I like the Trader Joe's stuff because it's a little thinner, so it's easier to spread around and feel like you're getting more bang for your buck, so to speak) and tiny bit of honey (I put my toast on the food scale and weigh out 4 grams....it doesn't seem like a lot, but it's JUST enough sweetness).
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,934 Member
    Options
    How does fat free half and half even exist? It doesn't make sense. The more fat you take out the more "skimmy" it becomes. Like... half and half means 10%. So if it doesn't have 10% it's not half and half anymore?
  • farmers_daughter
    Options
    Diet mountaint dew. Zero calories I think!
    Diet Mt Dew tastes like ick. LOL!
  • farmers_daughter
    Options
    Haha I always seem to get the impression that those "moderation" comments are just thrown in at the end of a response telling you to cut loose. The responders never know how often you've "allowed yourself a treat" so its not too useful to hear.

I usually opt for an herbal tea (peach or raspberry flavour) when I'm truly not hungry or for Mio in water.

Maybe you could consider buying those little halloween sized Smartie (M&M) packs and eat that... or buy some bulk chocolate and separate it into little packets before eating it. And then have only one with you at a time.

Fruit is always a good option :) And if you have to prep it, maybe dip just the tips into some melted dark chocolate it would feel like a real treat when you go to eat them later.

MMM or dip the fruit in yogurt and FREEZE them! AH that would be yummy.

Tis true, but I want recipes that I can make at home with my kids too, I didn't want just a bunch of premade store items. Which are good for ideas, but I was digging for recipes.
    Today I splurged and got some almond butter and apples at the grocery store, and so far I'm pretty content with that.