HM Running/Training

Options
kshadows
kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
Now that I've finished 3 5K's and have a 10K planned, my main focus is really to run a HM. I'm not looking to break any records or win any prizes, I'd just like to do it and know that I could. There is one near enough to me that I could do it, but it's November 1st, which is 12/13 weeks away.

I'm currently running about 8-10 miles per week and would use a gradually increasing training plan like the Hal Higdon Novice 1 plan.

My question is, is this realistic? I LOVE fall, so I'd love my first HM to be in the fall but I also don't want to set myself up to fail. I'd like to be able to finish (without walking), but like I said, speed isn't that important.

Replies

• thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Now that I've finished 3 5K's and have a 10K planned, my main focus is really to run a HM. I'm not looking to break any records or win any prizes, I'd just like to do it and know that I could. There is one near enough to me that I could do it, but it's November 1st, which is 12/13 weeks away.

I'm currently running about 8-10 miles per week and would use a gradually increasing training plan like the Hal Higdon Novice 1 plan.

My question is, is this realistic? I LOVE fall, so I'd love my first HM to be in the fall but I also don't want to set myself up to fail. I'd like to be able to finish (without walking), but like I said, speed isn't that important.
    Sure it is realistic.
    Google HM plans. Most are around 12 weeks and start you off at 3 mile runs. Biggest thing to be true to on those plans is the weekly long run increaing the mileage. The other stuff is OK too, but make sure you get that LR in each week.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Absolutely realistic. Jump into it and have fun with your training and enjoy the journey.