Fitness watches with HRM and GPS

Options
Is there anyone that uses a HRM to tailor your workout? I have been researching some of the watches and it makes sense to me to monitor your heart rate so you can tailor your workout to what is best for you. Does anyone have any opinions or advice?

Replies

• altorose
    altorose Posts: 2
    Options
    I bought a Polar FT4 heart rate monitor about a month ago and I absolutely love it. It helps me make sure I'm staying in my target zone. Plus it syncs automatically to a lot of the equipment in my gym, so I don't have to worry about keeping my hands on the heart rate sensors or anything. I've found that it helps me get a better workout, and it's really nice to get an accurate calorie burn to log on MFP after exercising.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Most Polars do not have GPS capability.

I have a Garmin. I haven't gotten into HR training yet but plan to when get back to it. I am a huge Garmin can and overall very pleased with their products (I've had more than one) and customer service.
    My next purchase will be the Garmin 910xt for triathlon training.

This site does excellent reviews. It should help you figure out what brand and model has what you are looking for

http://www.dcrainmaker.com
  • dsimmons107
    dsimmons107 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your budget and goals. I use the Polar V800. It is fantastic but it is not cheap.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Make sure you get what you think you're getting.

I bought a garmin, and it only tracks movement. I was pissed when I learned that it wont track my heart rate on a treadmill. I wound up with a Polar 7. I realized that I don't need a GPS.

Yeah, the link above has a chart that breaks down all the features, like indoor use etc. Some Garmin models would work for the treadmill, but I also wouldn't recommend getting a GPS unit if you are just looking to use it for treadmill.
  • buzybev
    buzybev Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have a polar ft4 which get the job done. I just use Runkeeper on my phone to track my runs.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options

This site does excellent reviews. It should help you figure out what brand and model has what you are looking for

Another thumbs up for that site - he does an excellent job of reviewing products. Very thorough and informative.
  • yycsean
    yycsean Posts: 3 Member
    Options

If you want to save money, I'd recommend the Garmin 310XT. It doesn't have the same swim tracking (in terms of stroke type, it still tracks swimming and has multi-sport mode), but most of the other features are comparable. I've been very happy with mine.

I'll third this. Ray's reviews are the most thorough I've seen anywhere.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Is there anyone that uses a HRM to tailor your workout? I have been researching some of the watches and it makes sense to me to monitor your heart rate so you can tailor your workout to what is best for you. Does anyone have any opinions or advice?

I use the Garmin Forerunner 220. This is a fantastic device and you can get it with a heart rate monitor. I reference the heart rate all the time. It's a good indicator of the effort you're putting out during a workout. It comes in two snappy colors.

Garmin-Forerunner-220-GPS-Running-Watch-With-Heart-Rate-Monitor-C.jpg
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar Ft60 and I love it. I feel like I am getting a much more accurate calorie burn number, as the MFP estimates were way off for me.
    the Polar website has some handy tools to compare models and different functions, and I price shopped from there and found the best deal for the one I wanted on Amazon.com at the time.
  • Babyzoom
    Babyzoom Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've been using my Nike + Sportwatch GPS for 2 years now. I had to buy a Polar wearlink heart rate strap to utilize the HRM feature but it was the least expensive watch I could afford, roughly $100-150 and the Polar Wearlink was about $30. It works pretty well and I haven't had any issues since I've bought it.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Timex Run Trainer 2.0
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

If you want to save money, I'd recommend the Garmin 310XT. It doesn't have the same swim tracking (in terms of stroke type, it still tracks swimming and has multi-sport mode), but most of the other features are comparable. I've been very happy with mine.

I'll third this. Ray's reviews are the most thorough I've seen anywhere.

Thanks.

It's the swim/stoke tracking feature that I want. Unfortunately.

I've got a rebate offer and am stalking sales. Lol.
  • WickedddMelon
    WickedddMelon Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    TomTom has a pretty awesome new fitness watch I've been looking at... it's got gps and hr built into it. http://www.tomtom.com/en_us/products/your-sports/tomtom-multi-sport-cardio-gps-watch/white/

I've been looking at that, but I've also been checking out the Garmin VivoFit and thinking of pairing that with a Wahoo TICKR which is both Ant+ and Bluetooth capable so it can sync with the VivoFit and my phone. The Scosche Rhythm+ is an arm band HRM that's also Ant+ and Bluetooth capable.

Hope you find something that works for you!
  • e5412
    e5412 Posts: 17 Member
    Options

I use the Garmin Forerunner 220. This is a fantastic device and you can get it with a heart rate monitor. I reference the heart rate all the time. It's a good indicator of the effort you're putting out during a workout. It comes in two snappy colors.

Garmin-Forerunner-220-GPS-Running-Watch-With-Heart-Rate-Monitor-C.jpg

I have the red one and there are 3 things that I like about it.
    1.) The ability to send a live track of my run to someone so they can keep tabs on me (that is if I take my phone with me)
    2.) That it connects to my phone via bluetooth and it uploads the run to Garmin Connect so I don't have to manually do it myself
    3.) It also connects with MFPal and puts my exercise data.
  • RunninGran
    RunninGran Posts: 38
    Options
    Thank you all for the helpful information. I was leaning toward a garmin because I want the HRM for working out but I wanted the garmin for hiking. Looking at some of the reviews (even at the suggested link on the womens list) Garmin after some useage has some issues not aquiring satelites for the GPS. Some of the amizon reviews said that the customer support wasn't any help with the problem. Has any one that has a Garmin seen that issues or had a Garmin for over a year and not had any problems? I really like the features of the Garmins but if it is going to stop aquireing satelites in 6 months that is half the purpose I was getting it for.

Second question:
    Once I get something that gives me my heart rate while I am working out what do you do with the information? I know there is a range and I know how to calculate thoses ranges for myself. Is it as simple as staying in that range during your work out or is there something else that you are trying to do, like some of the schools of thought now say vary the intensity levels to your body doesn't learn and adapt and become more efficient thus making the workout less effective?
  • FatJockSing
    FatJockSing Posts: 164 Member
    Options

Second question:
    Once I get something that gives me my heart rate while I am working out what do you do with the information? I know there is a range and I know how to calculate thoses ranges for myself. Is it as simple as staying in that range during your work out or is there something else that you are trying to do, like some of the schools of thought now say vary the intensity levels to your body doesn't learn and adapt and become more efficient thus making the workout less effective?

Some watches (I use a Polar FT40) let you set ranges with alarms that help keep you in a "ZONE" - I do a lot of HIIT so I use that alarm facility then to ensure I am pushing for the alloted time. Other times I just use it "as is" so I have a "constant" tool for Calorie burn effort (I am not a fan of the numebrs MFP gives - personal opinion). Sure there are countles othe ways to utiise them!

Good Luck
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I've had 3 Garmins over 10 years (one lost to puppy teeth, one lost at a race and the current second hand one I have) and have no had an issue.

For heart rate zones
    Heybales has put together a spreadsheet with a bunch of information on establishing your Hr zones

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/750920-spreadsheet-for-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones

I would take fhe time time established my own HR zones since the online ones tend to be pretty inaccurate.
    Also consider, if you are using them for "fat burning" I wouldn't bother. HR training is useful for performance but pretty much pointless from a fat burning perspective.
  • trochanter
    trochanter Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    If you have a smart phone then you can purchase a compatible HR chest strap and use you phone for both GPS and HR.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wahoo-Heart-Monitor-iPhone-Android/dp/B006NZH0TU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406818255&sr=8-1&keywords=android+hr+strap
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get what you think you're getting.

I bought a garmin, and it only tracks movement. I was pissed when I learned that it wont track my heart rate on a treadmill. I wound up with a Polar 7. I realized that I don't need a GPS.

I have the Garmin Forerunner 110 and it has the option to use it indoors so it tracks my HR on the treadmill without needing to use the GPS feature.