When things are sent to test us: fight is the only option.

Options
When things are sent to test us. Fight is the only option.

Hi. Let me introduce myself. I'm Gina. Live in Ireland and yes it is always wet with the odd bit of sunshine lol. For years I always had a slight weakness on my left hand side. Never thought anything of it. You are always told "there is always a leg strong or a hand stronger a boob larger than the other one and so it goes on". Unfortunately I never took no heed to it. I never went to see about it, I went to see about the migraines and was passed off with some weird and wonderful name for a specific migraine. When I was 36 I finally found the sport for me after going through quite a few of them thought my life. I fell in love with powerlifting. Aww nothing can really explain the feeling it was such a passion. For over 4 years I slept, ate, trained and only thought about powerlifting. When was the next competition, what was my opponents lifting how much more did I need to beat them. Was my technique perfect, was my weight ok or did I have to lose some to make the weight in the lifting category . Things like that. I also helped out, became a referee, web master fought to try and get drug tests brought in to the sport and before I took I'll was running the whole federation as well as working, family training and competing.
So on a lovely sunny day I hit the gym again, already qualified for a federation for the worlds and was trying to qualify for another federation worlds competition. Anyways I knew what I had to do. Squat suit on, check. Knee wraps on, check. Wrist wraps on, check. Do my reps and sets and am now on 175 kilos on the bar. Lift out was perfect, foot position perfect. Head bar and everything else, perfect. Squat down past parallel then on my way up half way there, NOTHING............. I blanked out for a few seconds. My spotter got his collar bone broken and tore muscles in his back to save me from getting crushed under the weight. I came round and thought. Huh, something isn't right here. I couldn't move for a minute or two and I felt a bit weird. Hubby wasn't impressed, said we should go and get me looked at. I said no! I'm finishing off my training you know I need to do it or it's going to set me back. So off I go and do the rest of the training. At home, things weren't too great. I noticed that my left arm had pins and needles in it was very painful, couldn't feel anything with it. Thought god, this is a bit weird, maybe I pinched a nerve after the incident. Carried on with family life and went down that evening to do more training with my kids. Sore head, felt sick was hard to focu, found it difficult to remember how many reps had been done. So every was pointing that something was very wrong. Put it down to over training and called it a night. Went to bed and was out cold, hubby came in to waken me and found it hard to get me awake. Said I should go and see a doctor and fool me thought, no it will be ok, I will take a rest day haven't had one in a few months so guess I'm due one. Went to a shop and tried to buy something, still to this day can't remember what it was. My words were all jumbled, I was getting annoyed as it sounded fine to me. Hubby's stepped in and got things sorted and asked me what was wrong with me, unfortunately I left it 6months before this day happened.
In a friends house and I was hungry, tried as for some ceral with little milk but again all jumbled up, then I felt my whole left hand side of my face go weird, like mud slide. I droped the spoon couldn't hold it, next thing bowl dropped and that's all I remember. Apparently I started a seizure, I had never had these before so was a terrible shock for everyone. Last for 45 minutes. Paramedics were called. My oxygen level had fallen dangerously low and they had to get me stableised before carting me off to hospital with protesting that I didn't have time for this nonsense, on the way to hospital full blown gran maul seizure stopped breathing and off course more panic for people around me. Well that's how it all started. I was so into my body, working it, feeding it making sure it was in tip top shape. Why oh why hadn't I listened to what my body was telling me. The mind is a powerful thing. The docs couldn't understand why I let myself go that far before coming to hospital. How had I managed it. All I could put it down to was sheer determinitation that I was going to make my goals and nothing but nothing was going to stop that.
just over. 4 years now since I had my stroke and anuresym . I use a wheelchair as I can't walk any distance so many changes and not for the good either. I've been fighting my way back, use the knowledge that I learnt throughout doing my powerlifting to help me along. Hubby invents things for me to try and use for arm and leg. In all of this I realised that I did the one thing I said I would never do, let something become me and my family. I was too committed, living a bit of family life then it was all gym life. I didn't go out with my friends as they liked to party, I didn't visit my other family members as I never had time...... TIME what a strange thing. We think we have loads of it but one never knows what is around the corner. The one thing I did learn is that I had somewhere along the line lost touch with the world. Anyways 4+ years now. I can move my leg a bit, if I concentrate real had can walk on the leg a bit, arm moves now, just have to concentrated when I'm holding objects. Have a bit of brain damage. So folks that's my long long very long story lol.
NOW my question to you who reads this, what exercise doesn't increase swelling of the blood vessels/brain, only need one strong arm and leg and that is physical? Yes I am being serious, unfortunately sports is in my blood and I need something, and I mean REALLY need something to help me mentally. I'm a fighter, I'm 93% of the time positive person. What is out there that I can't seem to find.
If you have made it all the way to the bottom, thank you for taking the time to read it. For my last note, to everyone, listen to your body, it is sometimes smarter than your brain. No harm in getting checks up. Do as I say not what I did. Don't leave it too long before going to seek help or advice.

Replies

• xLexa
    xLexa Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Gina your story is truly touching. I know you have always been into your sports in one way or another. Jees I remember as a child my goal was to beat you in the sprints LOL Never ever achieved that! You were wayyyy too fast for me! Reading your story again has brought it home to me the importance of listening to what my body tells me. I thank you for that, because sometimes I don't. As for sports, I am not sure what is out there but I hope that you can get some great ideas from the folks here on MFP. They have always been a great support to me. Love yah girlie xoxoxxo
  • 12skipafew100
    Options
    Thanks, I'm hoping that is what it is going to do. Some times we think we are doing so much good for our body that we do tend to neglect things.. Lol I was just lucky, held the record in primary school for the 100 or was it a 60 meter sprint, anyways won from p1 right up until p7. Then in secondary school won all the races from 1st year up to 5th year. You did however pip me to the post in 3rd year and won the cup I was aiming for if I remember correctly. Wasn't too happy about that lol.

I'm trying to get involved in bowls, can't say it's exactly what I saw myself doing in regards to sports. Times change and things have to be looked at honestly instead of what was a while ago. Once you get over that hurdle things do start improving mentally.

Glad to see your doing a great job, keep up the good work. Xx
  • PoseysMama
    Options
    Amazing story. My mother was a stubborn person and by the time she had herself checked out, it was too late for her. She was 59 years old and my daughter (only grandchild) was only 5 months old. We absolutely must listen to our bodies. It is so important. And time? You are so right. There is only so much of it and it's how we use it that matters. Taking the time to tell your story in order to possibly help others is a WONDERFUL way to use it. Thank you for sharing such a personal experience with us.
  • 12skipafew100
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that :( thoughts are with you and your beautiful family. It my post even saves one persons life and helps their family I will be glad that I shared it.
    Thank you for your kind words.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Thank-you for sharing your story. It is one of survivorship and triumph in the making. I am not certain what is available to you Ireland. I assume that you have been working with a physical therapist for rehabilitation to get back as much as you can. Are they able to help you determine what sports you can successfully be involved in? Can you continue to promote powerlifting and safety within it? Or would that be too painful for you to be so close to something you love so dearly and may not be able to pursue again? From reading your story, I have no doubt that you will excel at whatever you are passionate about.
  • 12skipafew100
    Options
    No therapist I'm afraid. They couldn't help me due to health and safety believe it or not. I was lucky though told hubby what needed to be done and he did it with me. They told me to do what I could do as long as no pressure on the brain. I tried to help with the powerlifting but it mentally killed me so have just recently said I can't do it. They have been great. Told me if I ever was able to help out my place would always be there for me.
    Thank you for your kind comments
  • 12skipafew100
    Options
    I think the hardest challenge at the moment is trying to get my head sorted. Yes I am strong yes I am determined yet these don't seem to help when the big LOWS come and emotions go haywire. Did anyone else experience this?