Losing 100+ lbs with low impact workouts; Is it possible?

Options
So I found out Tuesday I have Plantars Fasciitis. It is killing my heels so bad! I bought some arch support shoes as recommended by my doctor. I have to stretch my feet before and after any form of resting off my feet, working out, or when I wake up in the morning because if not it hurts so bad! She also recommended I quit trying to run on the treadmill and doing classes. She said elliptical, weight machines, and biking are probably my best bet. My question is has anyone who has 100 plus lbs to lose done it with low impact workouts. Im hoping this isnt a forever type of deal but she said it could never go away. Anyone ever had plantars fasciitis and what do you recommend? It sucks, but I dont want to give up!

Replies

• acain87
    acain87 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have rheumatoid arthritis so joint pain is something I deal with a lot. Running especially on the treadmill can be hard on your body. Low impact that I like are elliptical and biking. I particularly like spin classes at my gym. Swimming if you have the option is very low impact and a great workout.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Yes. "Low impact" is not the same as "low intensity." Low impact just refers to the pounding on your joints from jumping or in the case of many larger people even walking. There's lots of exercise you can do that doesn't pound your heels, and a lot of it can be really high intensity. I swim 2X a week. I also do kettlebell workouts 2x a week; they are great cardio exercise and both feet remain on the ground at all times.

PS I had plantar fasciitis 100+ pounds ago and the problems -- for me, anyway -- have diminished to practically nothing with weight loss, stretching, and just cheap-o orthotic inserts. Also, I had to learn to STOP GOING BAREFOOT around the house. Things like standing on my bare (or stocking) feet while cooking, for instance, were really causing problems for me. Going barefoot really exacerbates PF. Wear your shoes.

Your doctor was right, not everyone recovers from PF, but you're really young so my money's on a quick and full recovery for you once the weight is off.
  • lcunningham12
    Options
    Thank you guys for the advise!
    I have started working out 4x a week. I do the elliptical for 20 minutes, treadmill at like 5 incline for 10 minutes, weights (somedays arms and somedays legs), and the bike for 20 minutes! It has seem to help a lot but still have pain. Im sure it is for walking around the house barefoot, but I can not bring myself to weight shoes! I hate having my feet covered with socks or shoes. Im definitely a flip flop kind of girl. I may try to buy some slippers and see if that will help, but I cant wear tennis shoes around the house. Thank you guys again for the advice!
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    A good buddy of mine lost (and is now maintaining said loss) 100 lbs just by walking more and eating less. No running, etc. So: yes.
  • KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I have 4 herniated disk in my lower back, degenerative disk disease in both my lower back and neck and arthritis in my left hip and knee... all car accident related from 13 years ago... sucks getting old! I am WAYYYYY over weight and the only thing i can do is swim. I do laps, I use a kick board and I tread water... when i first started swimming I lost 23lbs in 90 days (in addition to clean diet of course) so yes it can be done... I am in pain just walking up the stairs, getting up from my chair and even laying in bed. Cleaning the house puts me in traction... The swimming is pain free and actually keeps my heart rate going and is toning all areas.... Swim Swim Swim.... best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Kelly2300
    Kelly2300 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Working on my weight loss with plantar fasciitis as well. Add me as a friend if you would like. Get a brace to wear at night, it is the thing that helped me the most and stretch, stretch and then stretch again. If you don't like tennis shoes find a pair of shoes that are comfortable and you do like. I ahve a pair of sketchers flip flops that work great. Good luck.
  • captmiddy
    captmiddy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Not what you are looking for but it isn't always about intensity either.

I lost the weight I did by walking on a treadmill desk each day. Now this isn't exactly low impact but lower than say running. I started out at 1.5MPH over a couple hours at my desk. I now walk at 2.5mph for a few hours a day during the week. I haven't really done much else for the last 1.5 years although I keep meaning to. So a stationary bike or an elliptical are good even if you do them slowly just do it for a long enough time.

As many (although not all) will tell you weight loss is about calorie deficit, you can create an easier deficit through activity.
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, I've had plantar fascitis! When just starting out on this journey. Bought full sole pads for a big pair of slippers - wore them when I woke up. Bought gell heel pads for my walking boots and sneakers. And I walked!!! Almost every day. After a few months, it no longer hurt, and I could run and jog. Still wear those heel pads just because they feel good. For me, the tightening of the tendon never went away, but the hurt has been gone for 2 years. Take care of it when it hurts, stretch it as much as possible. Eventually it won't be a problem.
  • ZakiJaye
    ZakiJaye Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I had plantars fasciitis It is mostly all better after wearing foot supports. I am also a flip flop bare foot person and am still bare foot around the house and I just have the supports in my work shoes and trainers. Use the supports when wearing shoes/trainers and keep it low imapact for a while and hopefully they will get better like mine.
  • cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    You can lose 100lbs without exercising at all but its not the best idea. Lose weight by what you put in your mouth. Build your body/cardio by exercising.
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    fastfoodietofitcutie Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Birkenstocks saved me! I wore them ALL the time. If I had to get up in the middle of the night I would slip on the shoes. It took a few months but I have completely recovered.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for the advise!
    I have started working out 4x a week. I do the elliptical for 20 minutes, treadmill at like 5 incline for 10 minutes, weights (somedays arms and somedays legs), and the bike for 20 minutes! It has seem to help a lot but still have pain. Im sure it is for walking around the house barefoot, but I can not bring myself to weight shoes! I hate having my feet covered with socks or shoes. Im definitely a flip flop kind of girl. I may try to buy some slippers and see if that will help, but I cant wear tennis shoes around the house. Thank you guys again for the advice!

That's great, those are all great low impact options to get started moving more!!!

The pain will, frankly, not go away overnight, it will take some time ... months even.

I'll make another plug for wearing shoes though: it really does make a HUGE difference. Which do you hate more: pain or wearing shoes? I mean, I always hated wearing shoes and socks too, but that's why I had PF. It doesn't have to be tennis shoes, though it should be shoes with firm arch and heel support so slippers almost certainly won't help. You might want to look at Keens or Ahnus if you don't like tennis shoes: they're kind of like tennis shoes ON THE INSIDE but sort of like casual / workplace casual shoes on the outside, and they typically are slip ons (no lacing up!). You can wear trouser socks or knee high type nylons with them, or even those little nylon footie protectors they use in shoe stores to keep your nasty feet from touching the inside of the shoe LOL. I love them. I even worked out in them at first.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I had PF.

I changed my running gait, did a little physical therapy and got on with my running. That was at easily 80# heavier than I should be.

Most doctors say things like that because they expect their patients won't be active and will continue to allow their bodies to degrade, so taking a conservative position is "safe".
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is directly related to calorie deficit.
    On any given calorie deficit, if you do more exercise you get to eat more food, which some find makes it easier to sustain that calorie deficit.

It can also have various health benefits and so on, but it's the deficit that will affect weight loss more significantly than anything else.
  • Leggylass
    Leggylass Posts: 215
    Options
    i lost half 50lbs and im trying to loose another 50lbs on 1200 calories with no exercise at all.. i have medicals problems that prevented me from exercising and working against the odds with other medical probs inc. underactive thyroid.

There are steroid injections you can have for your problem and physio.
  • Icemanbn
    Icemanbn Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The bike is very good to lose the weight. I lost 200 pounds, the first 100 using diet and bike alone. I then switched to triathlon and started running and swimming too. The PF is harsh. Hurts like hell. They have socks or splints to wear to bed that help, Check your local running store. Stick with the low-impact stuff until that is taken care of. Good luck.
  • lcunningham12
    Options
    I dont mind wearing tennis shoes when I exercise. I actually have a pair of shoes that are low arch supprt and then the arch support pad in them as well since finding out I had PF. Around the house I dont wear shoes, so I am going to suffer there but hopefully I can find somethign that will help. I do try to maintain a calorie deficit. Which everyone has told me that MFP puts you at a deficiet already but I always try to stay at least 100 calories under that and I try not to eat back my calories. I also give my self two MEALS a week to eat what I want. I havr noticed the more I get into this working out and beign healthy thing I do not seem to engorge myself on those cheat meals, which is awesome! Im just one of those people that wants instant results and it kills me not to see that scale move every week I weigh in or to not see me lose an inch one week in any areas. It sucks but I am not giving up!
  • snapdragon1231
    snapdragon1231 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    So glad to hear this! I have severe PF. It really hurts. Going to a foot doctor and hoping to get inserts.
  • lcunningham12
    Options
    So glad to hear this! I have severe PF. It really hurts. Going to a foot doctor and hoping to get inserts.

Im ready for the pain to stop! I took a week off when i first found out I had it and it was so severe, I would barely be able to walk until the muscle stretched enough. Then I worked out for 4 days out of the week and it wasnt as severe! It is killing me today but I also ran errands and was on my feet for about 4 hours straight! I just want it to go away
  • lcantrell65
    lcantrell65 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    From a PF sufferer...WEAR SOME SHOES AT HOME!!! If you really love being barefoot, you can find flip flops now that offer arch support. There are several brands. Right off the top of my head Vionics comes to mind, and some of theirs are actually really cute. Birkenstock makes some sandals that aren't hideous too.

I have multiple heel spurs in each foot. My first episode was years ago with my left foot. I remember waking up each morning and being filled with dread because of the pain I knew I was about to experience when my feet hit the floor. After MONTHS of stretching, ice, and anti-inflammatory medication, the pain went away. I have never had another flare up with it.

I thought I would begin running for weight loss. In less than a week, I had a flare up with my right foot. I tried stretching, ice, inserts for my shoes, prescription strength anti-inflammatory medication, a night time brace (imagine what it feels like to sleep in cowboy boots!), dry needle therapy, and cortisone shots. Ultimately, I had to have surgery. Even after surgery, it was still several months before the pain went away.

Moral of the story...1) if high impact aggravates your feet, don't do it. There are plenty of low impact/ no impact activities that will allow you to burn extra calories. 2) Until you are completely symptom free, WEAR SHOES!!!