Drinking Tea Really Helps

Options
Recently, I've been eating and drinking healthier to help maintain my weight. I've been drinking lots of green tea as they boost your metabolism and such, and I really can feel a difference. Or maybe it's just my obsession speaking lo. Also, I've recently been introduced to tartary buckwheat tea and love it. It has a bunch of health benefits, while helping to prevent accumulation of body fat (read that from multiple sources). I think that was pretty amazing and I do really feel that it's helped me maintain my weight. I don't know where you can buy it online, but the person I've been buying it from plans on distributing it online soon if anyone is interested in that.

There are tons of beneficial teas that are amazing for boosting your metabolism and helping with maintaining your weight. Not to mention, sipping on tea throughout the day really curbs your appetite so you end up consuming less. Just an idea for you all! Hope this helps some people! I just wanted to share my love of teas and the wonders it's done for my body and skin (suffered from acne).

Replies

• kwatson28
    kwatson28 Posts: 31
    Options
    I love tea! Especially green tea. But I'm a big fan of all sorts of tea. Green tea with jasmine and some honey? yum!
  • ardysedwardsmcgrath
    ardysedwardsmcgrath Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I like green tea.. kind of pricey here.. ive been drinking sweet tea.. I need to switch to no sugar tea.. can u count that as a water? thanks.. good luck with your journey
  • AmandaLY17
    AmandaLY17 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Personally I dont give a thought to the health benefits of tea, but I do adore all sorts of tea. I cant stand plain still water, and dont really like to drink much pop or juice (too sweet) and too much coffee makes me anxious, SO, I drink a lot of tea! Especially at night
  • ingeborgv
    ingeborgv Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have a terrible habit of snacking late in the evening, even if I'm not really hungry. Eating because I'm bored, more likely. I find that peppermint, ginger or liquorice tea work as a great substitute for eating.
  • hilarylin05
    hilarylin05 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do enjoy the tastes of teas myself, green tea being one my fav. The only downside is that most teas I like have caffeine and I really cannot deal with caffeine. I also really enjoy drinking brown rice green tea for the roasted flavor, and spearmint tea in the winter is really refreshing. If anyone knows of any good caffeine-free teas that taste good, let me know! I'll be sure to take your recommendation.
  • hl05
    hl05 Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! I do love drinking tea, more so for the taste than the health benefits, although they are an added bonus!
    I like green tea.. kind of pricey here.. ive been drinking sweet tea.. I need to switch to no sugar tea.. can u count that as a water? thanks.. good luck with your journey

Sweet tea is essentially black tea with bags of sugar added. And black tea is a tea that contains caffeine. Caffeinated teas are diuretic meaning that you empty your bladder more often, which can be dehydrating even though water is hydrating. As such, you'll need to drink water separately to rehydrate yourself. I'm not too sure about the technicalities about counting water and such when drinking tea to balance it out however! Hope that helps.
    If anyone knows of any good caffeine-free teas that taste good, let me know! I'll be sure to take your recommendation.

The tartary buckwheat tea that I mentioned is caffeine free, and it also has a similar taste to brown rice green tea (nutty, roasted flavour). Herbal teas are usually caffeine free, although I'm not too sure about the tastes. There's always the option of purchasing decafed tea leaves as well. I have decafed green tea. However, I've heard that the health benefits of decafed teas are lessened, so if you're into that you may want to forgo that option.
  • AJett40
    AJett40 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Started drinking hot green tea first thing in the morning followed by fresh squeezed lemon water throughout the day. I am just starting my weight loss journey today, so trying to get it right! 75 lbs to goal.
  • hl05
    Options
    Good luck with your journey! Oh, if you ever find yourself craving something sweet to drink, just add a bit of lemon juice, some honey and hot water. Curbs that craving for sweets! It taste amazing once you figure out the right ratio of the lemon, honey, and water.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Recently, I've been eating and drinking healthier to help maintain my weight. I've been drinking lots of green tea as they boost your metabolism and such, and I really can feel a difference. Or maybe it's just my obsession speaking lo. Also, I've recently been introduced to tartary buckwheat tea and love it. It has a bunch of health benefits, while helping to prevent accumulation of body fat (read that from multiple sources). I think that was pretty amazing and I do really feel that it's helped me maintain my weight. I don't know where you can buy it online, but the person I've been buying it from plans on distributing it online soon if anyone is interested in that.

There are tons of beneficial teas that are amazing for boosting your metabolism and helping with maintaining your weight. Not to mention, sipping on tea throughout the day really curbs your appetite so you end up consuming less. Just an idea for you all! Hope this helps some people! I just wanted to share my love of teas and the wonders it's done for my body and skin (suffered from acne).
    Please link to any of these multiple sources regarding these many benefits.

Good luck on your journey.
  • swaye78
    swaye78 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    yeah I am at 203 right now my goal weight is 160. seems soooooooooooooooo far away
  • ALSweetie84
    Options
    Hey Ya'll
    I'm brand spankin' new here, but I've drank tea all my life and it never caused me to go to the bathroom more. Now let me clarify a bit. There are times where I have drank soda and it made me go lots! When u switched back to tea I didn't go as often. Caffeine affects different people different ways. So don't get your cart before the horse! Just like one poster said coffee makes them jittery but doesn't make me that way. Just because tea makes some go more than others doesn't make it true for all. But isn't that true with everything? It is if you think about it.????
  • swaye78
    swaye78 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    someone told me saffron tea is suppose to be very good for you. and your skin
  • AAForsyte
    AAForsyte Posts: 7
    Options
    Tea is powerful stuff! I used it to quit smoking. I went out for a cup of tea when I wanted a smoke. It really helped. It was still hard but it was a nice substitute without the calories. I didn't sweeten it.
  • hl05
    Options

Saw it first up on here http://www.mappingwords.com/2012/05/22/staying-healthy-abroad-tea/ and followed that link under buckwheat tea. There's also this http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=11 (sorry not sure how to embed links). Tartary buckwheat tea is essentially buckwheat kernels, and buckwheat is a superfood with multiple benefits http://www.oprah.com/health/Buckwheat-Dr-Perricones-No-5-Superfood. There's lots of articles on it, but you made me realize that perhaps that I did believe the benefits too fast and jumped the gun. Sorry, I get that way when I obsess over something and I'm told I can be too believing sometimes!
    Caffeine affects different people different ways. So don't get your cart before the horse!

That is true, it does effect everyone differently. Sorry again for jumping the gun! Now I just feel silly with the advice I gave lol.

And yay AAForsyte for quitting, that's amazing! It must've been really hard, but you still did it!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    No idea if they do anything to my metabolism, but tea has no calories and tastes good hot and cold. Although darjeeling with sugar and lemon - worth all 15 calories.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

Saw it first up on here http://www.mappingwords.com/2012/05/22/staying-healthy-abroad-tea/ and followed that link under buckwheat tea. There's also this http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=11 (sorry not sure how to embed links). Tartary buckwheat tea is essentially buckwheat kernels, and buckwheat is a superfood with multiple benefits http://www.oprah.com/health/Buckwheat-Dr-Perricones-No-5-Superfood. There's lots of articles on it, but you made me realize that perhaps that I did believe the benefits too fast and jumped the gun. Sorry, I get that way when I obsess over something and I'm told I can be too believing sometimes!
    Caffeine affects different people different ways. So don't get your cart before the horse!

That is true, it does effect everyone differently. Sorry again for jumping the gun! Now I just feel silly with the advice I gave lol.

And yay AAForsyte for quitting, that's amazing! It must've been really hard, but you still did it!
    The first link appears to be one promoting a specific whole-food diet; there's nothing wrong with a whole-food diet, but it's almost certainly not the only valid approach to eating with an eye on healthy weight maintenance. The second link is. . . Oprah, who has a history of jumping on the bandwagon of this, that or the other fad diet (though to my knowledge she has not followed a particular 'diet' for several years now).

EDIT:
    And black tea is a tea that contains caffeine. Caffeinated teas are diuretic meaning that you empty your bladder more often, which can be dehydrating even though water is hydrating.
    http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

"Regular coffee and tea drinkers become accustomed to caffeine and lose little, if any, fluid. In a study published in the October issue of the Journal of the American College of Nutrition, researchers at the Center for Human Nutrition in Omaha measured how different combinations of water, coffee and caffeinated sodas affected the hydration status of 18 healthy adults who drink caffeinated beverages routinely.

"We found no significant differences at all," says nutritionist Ann Grandjean, the study's lead author. "The purpose of the study was to find out if caffeine is dehydrating in healthy people who are drinking normal amounts of it. It is not."
  • cblack8
    cblack8 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I do enjoy the tastes of teas myself, green tea being one my fav. The only downside is that most teas I like have caffeine and I really cannot deal with caffeine. I also really enjoy drinking brown rice green tea for the roasted flavor, and spearmint tea in the winter is really refreshing. If anyone knows of any good caffeine-free teas that taste good, let me know! I'll be sure to take your recommendation.

I'm right there with you on the caffeine. I have caffeine sometimes to help get rid of headaches and I'll be shaking after a cup of regular tea or a couple of ounces of coke. On the bright side, it's really effective at battling headaches for me! I've always loved tea though and my favorite caffeine free ones are the Orange Spice tea from Bigelow or Stash's Lemon Ginger tea. I also like a lot of Celestial Seasonings fruit teas (Black Cherry Berry especially) but Orange Spice is definitely my favorite.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I love all sorts of teas as well, but don't fool yourself into thinking they do something that they do not.
  • vmlabute
    vmlabute Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I LOVE TEA!!
  • Cardio4Cupcakes
    Cardio4Cupcakes Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I want to like tea so bad, but it's just so unflavorful for me. Like hot water. Ick.