Have finally worked up the nerve to intro myself.

Options
CoachJen71
CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
I'm Jen. I live on the coast of Maine with my husband, 2 teen boys, and 2 kitties. I love to read: sci-fi/fantasy mostly, but also some mysteries and other fiction. I enjoy TV/Films in the same genres. I coach cheerleading in an elementary school, albeit not as well as when I was younger/thinner. I miss being able to keep up with the kids!

I'm almost 43 and I have over 100lbs to lose. Again. Last time I was a nursing mom pushing two kids in a double stroller, with my Mom supporting me with her Weight Watchers know-how. I have none of that this time around to help me, most particularly my parents, who passed away in the last 10 years. :^( I've struggled with binge eating since I was young, bulimia during my teens and early 20s. Tried Overeaters Anonymous as a kid, unofficially did the WW thing, etc etc. It always seems to come back to not maintaining my commitment to logging my food /sticking with the eating plan, and turning into a slug on the couch.

I have been on MFP for about 2 weeks now, and just got a fitbit Flex a couple of days ago. I am not making too many changes right now other than using these tools, plus a little bit of walking and nutrition tweaking. I figure I'll do better in the long run easing my way in than going gung-ho right out of the gate, only to burn out. (Which I tend to do when I am hypomanic. I have bipolar and anxiety which make things a little more difficult that way.)

Anyway, it's great to be here and to meet you all! Feel free to add me if you 'd like another friend. :^D

Replies

• TChester_05
    TChester_05 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I'm the queen of babysteps...every change or step towards being healthier is better than doing nothing. Something to keep in mind while babystepping is that day by day it may not seem like a lot is happening and THAT IS 100% OKAY! As long as each month is better than the last change will come! To sustain your life changes as you pointed out they have work for you :)
  • CoachJen71
    Options
    Thank you! That's what I keep telling myself. A little bit at a time. I get scared when I worry about if I can keep this up forever, but then I remember I only have right now to deal with, and that's not so overwhelming.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    It seems overwhelming if you look at it all at once. I also have about 100 pounds to lose (20 down already)...what I did/do is take the baby steps, exactly like you do. I look at one week at a time, and set goals that are realistic for month out or so. Then it's not so scary. And then all of the sudden you realize that things are different and it's not so hard after all. 21 days makes or breaks a habit after all. Just one foot in front of the other. It gets easier.
  • CoachJen71
    Options
    Yep, that is the plan. :^)
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    great approach! Queen of baby steps also! Started in January doing bare minimum at the gym going only 3 sometimes twice a week. As time passed I saw teeny tiny results which of course prompted me to go a little harder and then my results were even bigger. It excited me and pushed me to keep going. Today I workout 6 days a week and I truly enjoy it. I get very upset if my schedule needs to change, lol. (which hardly happens)
    Good luck on your journey. If you mess up one day, start fresh the very next morning. If you mess up one week, same thing. Key is to keep going. I was horrible my first couple of months, lol. But stay persisent and keep going so that it becomes routine.
  • CoachJen71
    Options
    Ah, the starting fresh thing. An alien concept to the Queen of Guilt, but I am working on it. LOL
  • Eruizjr
    Eruizjr Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey, it's never too late to start this process. I'm 43 and I've also had a lifetime of up and down weight changes while trying ALL of the popular diets. I have a really good friend who basically convinced me that slow and steady would finally be the key to my success and he's right. This will be a long journey (I'm only 21 days into it) and the most important advice I can give you is to finally give up on any "get slim quick" plans and just do what we all know we should be doing: Eat smarter and exercise consistently. Keep doing this and the weight will come off but more important is that you will start feeling healthier by the day. Good luck and maybe we'll be comparing success stories down the road!
  • CoachJen71
    Options
    Thank you, I definitely hope we can share our success stories. :^)