Getting started, already doubtful

Options
So I'm about 10 weeks post partum and determined to kick the remaining 20 pounds of baby weight, and then the 40 pounds on top of that that need to go. I've heard such great things about mfp, bit after filling out my details I feel like there is no way this can work! Mainly because I'm currently consuming about 700-1000 calories per day and doing 45 - 60 minutes of target heart rate cardiovascular per day.... and still gaining.

I've made an appointment with a weight loss center to see if there is something I'm missing.... but I just feel so darn broken by the whole prospect of dieting.

Encouragement?

Replies

• BlackPup
    BlackPup Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Hormones do funny things post partum so that might not be helping.
    If you are breast feeding you should be eating more than 1000 cal.

Are you weighing and logging every bite that you eat. Cos otherwise you may be eating more than you realise.
  • blupanda12
    blupanda12 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Read this link below. It was immensely helpful for me when I was getting started! Most people starting out (me included!) tend to make one or more of the following errors:

1) Set their weekly weight loss goal too high, which forces too low of a calorie goal for sustainable progress.
    2) Fail to weigh their food with an appropriate food scale (measuring cups for liquids), thus underestimate how much they are eating.
    3) Trust the calorie numbers given for exercises (which are usually overestimated here), thus overestimating how much they are burning off.

My suggestion is to tighten up these three areas before diving into the more complicated realm of potential medical conditions. Also, if you are breastfeeding, please add calories accordingly. I apologize, but I don't know how many calories to add for breastfeeding, nor have I saved a link that explains it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Good luck and we are rooting for your success and happiness! :flowerforyou:
  • mommamandyloo
    mommamandyloo Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. I am not breastfeeding.

Believe me, I track intake with a fine tooth comb. I usually only eat things that are easily tracked (have nutrition facts with serving size easily available). I keep a second diary apart from mfp by these numbers and find that mfp usually estimates calories more conservative than my diary.

I guess I'm just whining... I just feel hopeless over this weight. I miss cheese, lol. And bread, and dipping sauces. This raw vegetables thing is only acceptable if it works. And it isnt.
  • alyssamaryw
    Options
    Wait, so are you limiting yourself to raw vegetables? Because you can eat whatever you want, as long as it fits within your calorie goals. I consistently eat cheese, dipping sauces, and bread and still continue to lose weight. Variety keeps you from diving off the deep end because you can't stand one more carrot. It's a sustainable lifestyle change that you should be going for, not a crash diet.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    When you restrict your diet that much, you may not lose weight because your body is trying to hold on to the little you are giving it. I would suggest upping your calories slowly (100-200 calories at a time, adding on every week or two) and see where that gets you. Especially if you are avoiding fats, your body may be angry at you. You need fat and carbs to survive and have enough energy to care for you new baby.

I would also suggest trying other activities other than just cardio. I can run for 3 hours on the treadmill and it hardly does a thing for my figure (even while eating low calories). Strength training (weights) are much more effective. Start slow by doing a body weight strength training circuit - push-ups, squats, squat jumps, lunges, etc., then start adding in some weight as you get comfortable.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Starting up exercise after some down time often means weight gain due to muscle healing (water retention). With such a restrictive diet are you getting enough protein and fat? MPF also recommends eating back workout calories because you need energy to fuel your workouts.
  • mimieon
    mimieon Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    'Definitely read the guide to sexypants that was posted earlier. It may help you a lot.
  • mommy22alyns
    mommy22alyns Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    So I'm about 10 weeks post partum and determined to kick the remaining 20 pounds of baby weight, and then the 40 pounds on top of that that need to go. I've heard such great things about mfp, bit after filling out my details I feel like there is no way this can work! Mainly because I'm currently consuming about 700-1000 calories per day and doing 45 - 60 minutes of target heart rate cardiovascular per day.... and still gaining.

I've made an appointment with a weight loss center to see if there is something I'm missing.... but I just feel so darn broken by the whole prospect of dieting.

Encouragement?

Be gentle with yourself, you just had a baby!

Eating 700-1000 calories per day is restrictive to the point that it would drive me nuts. There's no reason to NOT have cheese, or bread, or dipping sauces. It's all in the quantities. I have cheese quite often; I can eat 6 cubes of sharp cheddar for 110 calories. I've found sweet treats I can fit in my diet. And I've lost 40 lbs this year. Give yourself a few hundred more calories.
  • dramagirl1
    dramagirl1 Posts: 27
    Options
    Wait, so are you limiting yourself to raw vegetables? Because you can eat whatever you want, as long as it fits within your calorie goals. I consistently eat cheese, dipping sauces, and bread and still continue to lose weight. Variety keeps you from diving off the deep end because you can't stand one more carrot. It's a sustainable lifestyle change that you should be going for, not a crash diet.
    This for sure!