sugar in fruit

Options
13»

Replies

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I track fiber in sugars stead. I hit my macro and micros for health. I don't have a medical condition that requires me to monitor it. I stay in my calories for whatever goal I've set for myself and I win. Oh, and Talenti. Don't forget the Talenti.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I just track it all under Carbs.

*shrug*

Works for me.

I track Protein, Fat, Carbs, Fiber, and Sodium.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Google Robert Lustig

► 89:37► 89:37
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
    31 Jul 2009 - Uploaded by University of California Television (UCTV)
    Watch "The Skinny on Obesity" with Dr. Lustig: http://www.uctv.tv/skinny-on- obesity Robert H ...
    Sugar is present in fruit and vegetables, and it is not a problem if you are eating the whole fruit.
    it is the added sugar in foods that causes the problem - when fat is removed from some foods a form of sugar has to be added to give it flavour, it is also found in a multitude of every day foods - from baked beans, tomatoe ketchup, weetabix , flow fat yogurts etc so you need to read the label.
    We ditched all the added sugar, eat only fruit veg and foods with no added sugar weight we both lost weight me I dropped from 85kg to 79kg my partner who eat a lot of low fat yogurt dropped from 95 to 82 kg by just cutting foods out with added sugar , switched to full fat everything - makes you wonder.
    Watch Robert's lecture then you will know how it all hangs together

tl;dr

Call it what you want to call it, but a calorie deficit is the only thing that made you lose weight.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    it all counts.
  • reacher14
    reacher14 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    True, about the calorie deficit , but what I was trying to say that if you ditch the added sugar you would be surprised what and how much you can eat in day, calorie deficit is a conundrum for me though I work as a sales rep, working from home occasional I have a week at the head office, staying in a hotel full English breakfast in the morning steak, or chicken, beer and desert , but I always coming back weighing the same or slightly less but always my body fat % is less thus week I have come back and body fat down 2% and weight down 1kg from my last weigh in. I can not figure it out why a week of eating over 2500 calories a day results in body fat dropping
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    For your tummy stay away from Processed sugar, also white bread, white pasta, white rice. as all these turn to sugar then fat. Natural sugar in fruits are NOT the same.
  • dogpaws4ever
    dogpaws4ever Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    fruit isn't just sugar, it is fibre as well as vitamins and antioxidants. I don't worry about it, as long as I'm within my calorie target for the day.
    Lol. Fruit isn't sugar? You can't be serious.

What do you think happens to carbs at the end of process?

You need to reread the post, the person did NOT say that fruit isn't sugar, they said "Fruit isn't JUST sugar"...understanding what has been written is half the battle for some.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    True, about the calorie deficit , but what I was trying to say that if you ditch the added sugar you would be surprised what and how much you can eat in day, calorie deficit is a conundrum for me though I work as a sales rep, working from home occasional I have a week at the head office, staying in a hotel full English breakfast in the morning steak, or chicken, beer and desert , but I always coming back weighing the same or slightly less but always my body fat % is less thus week I have come back and body fat down 2% and weight down 1kg from my last weigh in. I can not figure it out why a week of eating over 2500 calories a day results in body fat dropping

Stop using so many dang commas. Even if you did have a decent argument (which you don't) it would be lost in the horrible comma jungle that is your post.
  • Life0fbrian
    Life0fbrian Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    The only thing i can say for sure is that fruit sugar is nothing like processed sugar, the body processes them differently.

natural sugar is not bad for you, just dont eat 5 bananas a day and you will be fine. :P
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    If there is no medical reason then sugar is sugar and its tasty.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    There is sugar in fruit?!

What are you going to tell us next?

tumblr_lyprjvejOc1qjtesgo1_500.gif
  • ELEANOR43da
    ELEANOR43da Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    thanks this helps me because I am diabetic
  • reacher14
    Options
    Google Robert Lustig

► 89:37► 89:37
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
    31 Jul 2009 - Uploaded by University of California Television (UCTV)
    Watch "The Skinny on Obesity" with Dr. Lustig: http://www.uctv.tv/skinny-on- obesity Robert H ...
    Sugar is present in fruit and vegetables, and it is not a problem if you are eating the whole fruit.
    it is the added sugar in foods that causes the problem - when fat is removed from some foods a form of sugar has to be added to give it flavour, it is also found in a multitude of every day foods - from baked beans, tomatoe ketchup, weetabix , flow fat yogurts etc so you need to read the label.
    We ditched all the added sugar, eat only fruit veg and foods with no added sugar weight we both lost weight me I dropped from 85kg to 79kg my partner who eat a lot of low fat yogurt dropped from 95 to 82 kg by just cutting foods out with added sugar , switched to full fat everything - makes you wonder.
    Watch Robert's lecture then you will know how it all hangs together

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/
    Alan is boss.
    Lustig is lol.

Having read Alan point of view he does make some good arguments. But for me and my partner we have chosen just to to eat as little as we can, of any commercial bought product with added sugar. In doing so we have both lost a lot of weight so for us it works. If you interested my body fat is down to 15% if done on athletic or 20% in normal range on TANITA scales. You all have to make your own choices about the food you eat. Read both accounts and draw your own conclusions, neither of them are going to be 100% correct.
    We still add sugar to items we cook from scratch but we have control over the quality and how much we use .
  • reacher14
    Options
    True, about the calorie deficit , but what I was trying to say that if you ditch the added sugar you would be surprised what and how much you can eat in day.
    Calorie deficit is a conundrum for me though I work as a sales rep working from home. Occasionally I have a week at the head office, staying in a hotel eating full English breakfast in the morning, steak, or chicken, beer and desert in the evening.
    However I always coming back weighing the same or slightly less but always my body fat % is less.
    This last week I have come back and body fat down 2% to 18% and weight down 1kg from my last weigh in.
    I can not figure it out why a week of eating over 2500 calories a day results in body fat dropping.

There rewritten :-)

Stop using so many dang commas. Even if you did have a decent argument (which you don't) it would be lost in the horrible comma jungle that is your post. -

I said it was a conundrum - but the fact still remains I dropped to 18% body fat (Normal scale on a TANITA body fat scales ) after consumming 2000 -2400 calories a day for 3 days with no excercise.
    Now back home at the gym lifting and cardio etc, eating as MFP recommended my body fat is back to 20% and my weight back up to 77/78 Kg.
    However this has made me think and after reading the other comments now rethinking how much I need to eat.
    So I have upped my calories proportionally a day to 1850 and going to see what happens.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    True, about the calorie deficit , but what I was trying to say that if you ditch the added sugar you would be surprised what and how much you can eat in day.
    Calorie deficit is a conundrum for me though I work as a sales rep working from home. Occasionally I have a week at the head office, staying in a hotel eating full English breakfast in the morning, steak, or chicken, beer and desert in the evening.
    However I always coming back weighing the same or slightly less but always my body fat % is less.
    This last week I have come back and body fat down 2% to 18% and weight down 1kg from my last weigh in.
    I can not figure it out why a week of eating over 2500 calories a day results in body fat dropping.

There rewritten :-)

Stop using so many dang commas. Even if you did have a decent argument (which you don't) it would be lost in the horrible comma jungle that is your post. -

I said it was a conundrum - but the fact still remains I dropped to 18% body fat (Normal scale on a TANITA body fat scales ) after consumming 2000 -2400 calories a day for 3 days with no excercise.
    Now back home at the gym lifting and cardio etc, eating as MFP recommended my body fat is back to 20% and my weight back up to 77/78 Kg.
    However this has made me think and after reading the other comments now rethinking how much I need to eat.
    So I have upped my calories proportionally a day to 1850 and going to see what happens.
    No that's not a fact - it's just that your measurement device is unreliable!
    My scales can tell me I'm 19% BF one day of the week and 13% a couple of days later.

These types of body analysis machines are badly affected by water fluctuations - a change of diet and exercise will do that very easily.
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    This has probably already been stated but unless you have diabetes there is no reason to track sugar. Fruit is nutritious, it's filled with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and other phytochemicals that help prevent hypertension, cancer and heart disease and fiber that helps fill you up and keeps you regular. So be sure to include fruit in your diet and just track calories, fiber, fat, sodium. I track iron and calcium.