No Change?

While I haven't been using this site for very long, I have been exercising every day for the past year or so and ensure that I have at least a 500 calorie deficit every day.

I measure my body composition using a Tanita body composition scale at my job and, according to the scale, my body never loses weight. When I started I was 160 and now I'm 188, which has me a bit freaked out.

What am I doing wrong? I count my calories, make sure I exercise appropriately every day. I don't see how I could possibly be gaining and keeping weight.

Very frustrated. Any help would be appreciated.

In case any one is wondering my Tanita readout states that I have a body fat percentage of 18~ and a BMI of 27.8. I am a 5'9" 23 year old male.

Replies

• Ferrous_Female_Dog
    Ferrous_Female_Dog Posts: 221 Member
    If you're gaining then you most certainly have not been ensuring a daily 500 cal deficit.

More info is needed. Open your diary.
  • Please bear in mind that I only have a few days listed in my diary as I only started using this website recently, but what I have been doing for diet and exercise for the past year is essentially what you see in the diary.

• Well, OK, sure I don't weigh my food like a crazy person.

But, I do base my calorie counts off of health/safety labels on the packages. In Canada all food is labeled with how many calories is in a serving and how much a serving is. I then eat the appropriate amount and record the calories.
  • Ferrous_Female_Dog
    Ferrous_Female_Dog Posts: 221 Member
    Um most people on this site who have found success weigh their food, at least when they cook for themselves at home.

How can you possibly know that you are eating one serving if you're not weighing it?

Anyway those links have the answers you seek. If you think it's CRAZY then best of luck to you.
  • Chunkhotep
    Chunkhotep Posts: 16 Member
    I don't see any drinks in your diary. Do you only drink water? Also, many of your meals are just one item with no sides. Is that accurate? I know that for me personally, I was WAY underestimating my quantities until I got a digital food scale (cheap on amazon). I don't use it all the time now, but at first it really helped me visualize sizes of different foods. I saw 1 oz of pie on one day's snack in your diary. 1 oz is an extremely tiny piece. I think you should look into getting a scale ... you may be surprised at what you discover.

Best of luck!
  • pope66682
    pope66682 Posts: 249 Member
    What's crazier? Weighing yourself every day and seeing no change and thinking your counting calories accurately or weighing your food so you are accurate and actually lose weight?
  • botmama
    botmama Posts: 2 Member

Well, OK, sure I don't weigh my food like a crazy person.

!!! Ummmm.....weighing your food is not crazy. You need to keep track of everything that goes into your body. If you're not weighing, then I assume you're also not measuring out portion sizes.

Have you been gaining lots of muscle mass? Certainly if you are body building, you could gain. Or you could have an undiagnosed medical condition, in which case you should see your doctor ASAP. But the most likely case is that you are eating more than you should be. For a week, keep track of every single thing that you put in your mouth. Literally everything. Weigh, measure, and keep careful track, otherwise you really will have no idea.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    I'm going to side with the mob on this one I think...

You aren't accurately counting calories or you wouldn't have gained weight. Everyone has been in the same boat so it's nothing to be embarrassed about. What you are doing now isn't working so just start figuring out how much you are really eating and then eat a little less is all.

Good luck!
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    You're not accurately logging. Your mashed potatoes for example are actually double the calories you logged. Plus what's with all the quick add calories? Are you sure that's accurate? And 6 cookies definitely have more than 212 calories...
  • adamgoleafs87
    adamgoleafs87 Posts: 129 Member
    Also, whats the quick added calories? It would be easier for people to give some advice if we knew what those were as well. The reason I ask is it could be 400 calories, but it could have a ton of fat, sodium, sugar, etc.
  • :sad: