women on birth control pills

Options
rAc_hEl
rAc_hEl Posts: 246 Member
I'm trying to pick a bc pill that won't have crazy water retention side effects or any other bad effects. I just had a baby so i need to decide soon as I'm not trying to have more kids any time soon. Also open to any other exceptions EXCLUDING DEPO! i hate depo! Thanks!

Replies

• Cardio4Cupcakes
    Cardio4Cupcakes Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I was on tri-sprintec for YEARS. it was only $9 at Target/ Walmart without insurance. I'm now on Junel FE, which is also working well. Continued to lose weight, no acne issues, etc. I am a bit more depressed than usual, but I doubt that's a BC thing and more of a life thing :flowerforyou:
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I've been very happy with generic versions of Seasonique (Amethia, Daysee, I've got something else now) because I really like the not getting my period every month. Saves a lot of money. They are pricey if you don't have health insurance because you are getting three months at a time. You will experience breakthrough bleeding intitially from switching but that can happen with any pill. I've found my periods to be very miniscule while taking the three month pills.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    What about an IUD? I had Paraguard, which worked with no side effects. Mine fell out (which is not common)...but that did not go unnoticed.

Edited to add that I was on the generic Alesse for 7 years (no problems with that either).
  • vismundcygnus27
    vismundcygnus27 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Can I use this thread as a way to pickup women? ...

No. Eww.

Also, this is a tough question to answer! I've been on Lutera for two years now, and it never caused any noticeable weight gain or water retention. And if anything, it's made my periods more manageable - they are much more regular, and I get 10 times less moody than I used to get. But that's going to vary from person to person. I found this link, which might be helpful - http://www.wdxcyber.com/ncontr11.htm

It basically says that if you're worried about water retention, you should opt for the pills which use the least amount of estrogen. Good luck, dear!
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I was on Marvelon for years with no effects at all.
  • rebeccalee1986
    Options
    Copper IUD
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I have NuvaRing..LOVE IT. Doesn't affect me negatively, at all.
  • LesliemarieAZ
    LesliemarieAZ Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I used Nuvaring too and didn't notice any side effects. But depending on your insurance, it's expensive which is ultimately why I stopped using it.
  • rAc_hEl
    rAc_hEl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I've used alesse on and off and haven't had any negative effects.
  • SamLD88
    SamLD88 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a child, can't attest to anything post-childbirth, but I've been on generic Yaz for 7 years and take it continuously (no sugar pills) and essentially only have spotting every few months.
  • BarbieFromHellx
    BarbieFromHellx Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I've been on Yasmin for over 4 years and my mom has also been on it too for like triple that amount of time haha - and we have both never experienced any problems with it at all. I'm aware some people have said some bad things about it but I find it is the perfect pill for me. No weight gain, headaches, acne, nausea, depression and other horrid side effects people face when taking a certain BCP.
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I have been on BC for 12+ years straight. I take Seasonique which gives me my period once every 3 months and it's usually just 1 to 2 days of spotting. Occasionally I go 6+ months without one because my uterus has nothing to shed. I don't seem to have any weight gain with it. I did have weight gain with Ortho-Tri-Cyclen and Yasmin though.
  • lois4468
    lois4468 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have twins from an IUD. At time of birth Doc said it fell out, but 2 years later showed up in X-ray for back issue. Had to have it removed. Was wandering around aimlessly. Birth control pills gave my DVT, blood clot, and I almost died. Weigh all your options, no one tells you all the possible consequences especially doctors. Do your research.
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    just dropping in to say I've been on Yasmin for about 9 years and I have never had a problem with it. It really helped me when my period was all screwed up and it's been doing it's job ever since. A lot of people don't like it or are scared cause of the side effects people have with it. But people react differently to different pills. They're a higher hormone dosage pill so naturally they're more temperamental but that doesn't mean you'll suffer the same symptoms as everyone else who takes it. Talk to your doctor about your needs and what you want it for and then the only way to see if it suits you is to try it out for a few months.
  • DiamondRubyMom
    DiamondRubyMom Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    All hormonal birth control has very high correlation to stroke and cancer. Even if you notice no side effects please be aware to these.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I've been very happy with generic versions of Seasonique (Amethia, Daysee, I've got something else now) because I really like the not getting my period every month. Saves a lot of money. They are pricey if you don't have health insurance because you are getting three months at a time. You will experience breakthrough bleeding intitially from switching but that can happen with any pill. I've found my periods to be very miniscule while taking the three month pills.

I use seasonique (generics don't help my PMDD symptoms). I am looking into the arm implant though because I have nothing but trouble getting my prescription.
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I have bad reaction to estradiol to where I avoid soy. There are other methods that are just as effective. I don't know about how much hormone will leech into breast milk, but if you're breastfeeding, you may want to consult your gyn and pediatrician. I would, however, suggest you go non-hormone until after breastfeeding, so condoms and maybe a diaphragm. Two forms should be standard.
  • Edwardshar
    Edwardshar Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Two methods I heard work well, the "pull and pray" method and the "rhythm" method. You should try them, I only have 2 kids using those. ;)
  • l_ashley
    l_ashley Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I am on Viorele and I love it. It doesn't cause water retention and I barely have periods (super light for only one day--isn't an annoyance, but also confirms I dodged the baby bullet for another month), which is fantastic.

However, you might need to go through multiple forms of birth control before you find one that works well with your body. I think I tried 4 or 5 different pills before I found Viorele.