Is it better to eat more and exercise more or the opposite?

Options
Basically I am struggling to exercise more on this recommended intake from mfp 's calc. I lose weight, but I cannot exercise as much as I could when I ate whatever I liked, so I actually feel less fit and healthy now than I did when I ate more of what I wanted. Also, when I eat what I want, I gain weight which is what I'm fighting to stop. I'm just not sure what to do about this. It's difficult to choose for me if I should feel healthier and gain weight or the opposite! It's just not possible for me to exercise as much as I like at mfp's recommendation, I just feel so tired I can't do it.

Is there anyone else with this dilemma? I could really use some help and support on ways to improve my health and fitness without the constant fear of weight gain.

Replies

• ajax041813
    ajax041813 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if you are following a specific diet or just eating within your calories each day. I would recommend trying to find a diet plan that is in line with your goals so you can set your macronutrient levels accordingly.

Off the top of my head, I would say maybe you need more protein, to help with your energy level. Perhaps more healthy carbs, maybe after you work out or just before to give you the energy to get down to it! And always healthy fats are going to keep you full and satiated so you don't crave bad things. Just my opinion.

I am doing the ketogenic diet which is pretty extreme for some people. That is where some of my knowledge comes from, before this I was paleo for a few months and really liked that but fell off the wagon and now I'm starting over again. I hope some of this helps and feel free to message me if you would like more information!

Oh, and just another thought, have you had a check up with your dr recently? I noticed your weightloss has been amazing so far so talking to your dr could shed some light on your energy level as well.
  • ajax041813
    ajax041813 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    To actually answer your question, I think it's better to eat a little more and exercise. Just my non medical opinion. I have over eaten almost everyday in the past 10 days and lost 4lbs, maybe water weight but it has happened. Just my experience.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Well basically yeah if you eat what you want all the time. Then yes you will have a lot of energy. I am sorry to say that there is really no way around the fact that for someone close to healthy weight like you maintaining a deficit is going to have some effect on your exercise performance. if it is simply too much then consider upping your calorie limit without simply going back to eating everything you want. It could be very possible for you to find a good balance where you can still maintain a deficit and lose at a moderate rate. But remember in the end your body has limits. And losing fat is an exercise in controlled starvation.

What I would do is slowly raise your calorie limit by about 1 or 2 hundred a week. And look for your comfort point. Keep up the weigh ins to make sure you don't go into a surplus. When you find a point you are happy with stick to it.

I have a lot of sympathy for you because tbh I have the same problem. My sense of impatience for results has me picking the brains of the community here for ways to get there faster pretty regularly. And the common consensus from anyone in the know seems to be eat healthy and push as hard as you can exercise wise.

eating more and exercising more will help you to get fitter but as long as you keep them in balance they won't necessarily help you to lose weight. Might make you burn fat though.
  • audrast
    audrast Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Exercise doesn't just help with burning calories, it strengthens muscles and helps to improve mood and concentration and a host of other pluses. I say exercise and enjoy the extra calorie cushion it allows you. You'll burn fat more quickly when you keep those muscles tip top.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    depends on your goals i guess.

i'm finding that i can't strength train 3 days a week and eat at enough deficit to lose 2 pounds a week.

i could eat more but at the moment i'm more interested in losing the fat. what i can do though is 1 day a week of actual strength training ( so i can at least retain my strength) and the other 2 days that i would have devoted to strength training are being used for circuit style resistance workouts and those where i'm working at like 50-60% of my strength max.
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough fats? That could make you feel awful really fast.
  • zman1313
    zman1313 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Need more healthy fats and protein!! Almonds, eggs, fish, whey protein are your friends!