For those with a lot to lose...

Options
When did you SEE a difference in the mirror? How many pounds had you lost?

For me, I see it on the scale, I feel it in my energy level, but I can't see it in the mirror and it's starting to creep into my head that I never will...

Replies

• shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I don't see it in the mirror. They say it takes 12 weeks to notice it yourself.
    I take pictures monthly, and when I compare them, I can tell.
  • zilannoj
    zilannoj Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I lost about fifty pounds before I saw a difference (350-300). When you have a lot to lose, it's definitely more difficult to see the difference. If possible, keep some clothing from your highest weight and maybe once a month, wear them again. It's easier to "see" the difference when you're wearing clothes that are now far too big for you. Measurements/photos also help so much. You see yourself everyday, so it's easy to think nothing has changed when really, you're transforming without seeing all of the little changes that happen to your body :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    The best picture comparisons I've seen focus on the same poses/angles in them, similar clothing - and once huge changes are made, in the initial clothing. However, for me, I tend to mold and reshape my psyche as I lose weight, get healthier, etc., so it is harder for me to recognize the progress, because I'm not the woman in the other pictures. I'm not the woman I once was. So how is it still me making the progress?

regardless, I need pictures, measurements, clothing, and the scale for a comprehensive look at changes. Still waiting for it again... Getting my driver's license renewed helped. My picture from a year and a half ago was way WAY heavier!
  • JennyJiggle
    JennyJiggle Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I struggled with this too, friends and family would compliment me and ask if I felt good/better and I just found it a bit awkward. In many ways yes I did feel better but when you look in the mirror and can't see it physically it's difficult to get on board with.

It did happen around the 50lbs lost mark, changing out of the baggy clothes highlighted it for me. Ill fitting jeans just aren't flattering on anyone - no matter your size. Dig out something that was too tight and try it on again every few weeks.

Don't be disheartened miss, one day it will just click and you'll see it.
  • artelyn
    artelyn Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I still don't see it that often. BUT! I have been taking measurements and pictures all along and when I look at those I can see the difference. I am just now starting to be able to look at older pictures and see a change in my face. But I can't see it when I look in the mirror and try to remember what I looked like a year ago.

It's working. Try to remember that! Keep it up!
  • vbodyme
    vbodyme Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    It is a journey and changes won't happen overnight. Just keep going because your body IS changing. Rely on accountability, support, a group of like-minded people, or anything that keeps you on track. Overtime you will notice something is looser or fits better. The numbers don't dictate who you are and unless you are aiming a number because of a specific reason like a competition or something you should pay attention to it. I am 6'2'' and weight +/- 163 and I wear size 6. 10 years ago, much younger, 6'2'' weight was +/- 165 and size was borderline 13 .. Yep, crazy! ... Keep going!!

If you need a friend and/or accountability, count me in!!
  • lukewind
    lukewind Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I started at 538 so seeing a visible difference took a while, sure I felt better within a few weeks but I really didn't notice any difference until I had lost more then 50lbs. Soon after other people started to notice. Might have taken others longer to notice because all my clothes were baggy.

Just know that you body changes in many ways more then weight. Keep track of your measurements. Sometimes the scale doesn't move as fast but you may see some changes in the tape and those are just as satisfying to see while waiting for the scale to move.

I went a month only losing 2lbs once but I lost over 14inches all over my body in that same time. Our bodies are still a bit of a mystery so just push through and you will get there eventually.
  • luvforever
    luvforever Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I took some "before" pictures today-just to compare them to in a couple of months :happy:
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I actually take progress pictures every month. Sometimes when I look in the mirror, I don't see a difference, but when I compare my pictures, there's a drastic difference, which is motivating.
  • love8383
    love8383 Posts: 169
    Options
    I couldn't see it for the first 50lbs..now i see it in photos, i still see myself as 300+ when i look in the mirror, and i'm always buying clothes way way too big.
  • Sailatsorf
    Sailatsorf Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Take lots of pictures, because despite the fact that I've lost 72lbs, I hardly ever see it in the mirror. I'll look in the mirror and go, "I haven't lost anything at all." It's very disheartening. Then I'll look at a picture of where I am now and a picture of where I was 3 years ago and say, "WOW!"
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    My loss wasn't visible until I had lost about 60 lbs. Even then a friend of mine said she could ::kinda:: see a difference but she was obviously skeptical of it being 60 lbs. Once I hit the 80 lb lost mark, it started getting REALLY obvious though, and from then on every 10 lbs I lose makes a really big difference in my appearance and how I fit my clothes. I'm having to replace clothes a lot more often now.

The thing is, when we're bigger, it's a different geometry problem. We have to lose A LOT more volume to achieve the same difference in diameter (i.e., how wide one is are across) that a smaller person would have.

Focus on how good you feel, and if you're exercising, focus on how much it's getting easier to move, how your strength, range of motion, and endurance are improving, and so on. That kind of progress is more steady and obvious at first.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I noticed at around 30 pounds. It's weird. Didn't notice at all at 28, then all of a sudden I noticed my face looked smaller. I've been told recenly I'm looking a lot younger
  • ronercat
    ronercat Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    For me it is similar. I look in the mirror and it seems like everything is the same, but when I look at the difference between the monthly photos I am taking I can see the change. A lot of it is mental. We perceive that we are the same even when there have been plenty of changes. Just don't lose heart and start taking some of those photos.
  • lissdawn
    lissdawn Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I've lost a little over 40 lbs and I still don't "see" any difference at all. However, my scale tells me I keep losing, my measuring tape shows a fair number of inches lost overall, and my clothes are looser (even though I can still wear all the same stuff right now)...but my endurance and overall feeling of wellness has skyrocketed, I can feel new muscles building/being better defined under my flab, see them in my arms when werkin' it, and my energy levels have really been increasing. Even if I'm not seeing actual results with my eyeballs (at least not enough to be obvious) yet-to myself or others, I know everything is going in the right direction.

They say the more you have to lose, the longer before it's noticeable...seems like most say somewhere between 40-60 lb is the magical mark. I'm still waiting but I know it will come.

If you get caught up in clothing size drops, I've read a few times (though not sure if it's completely accurate but it might be) that in plus size clothing, there is more 'room' between sizes-for example, the difference between a 4x and a 3x is 4", vs 'regular' size clothing which only has 1-2" difference. So even if you're not dropping actual sizes yet, it could be because there's a lot more of a 'shrink' that needs to happen before you go down a size.

Keep on going, your body and eyes WILL catch up to your awesome efforts! :)