anyone perfected the cauliflower pizza???

Options
elly0001
elly0001 Posts: 191
i made it but it turned out a bit wobbly -it was more like an omlet/fritata than a pizza crust even tho i added a bit of flour to it rather than cheese

Replies

• elly0001
    Options
    how do u make it more like a pizza crust???
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I have not actually made this yet - but is on my list of "to-do's"

http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/clean-eating-tomato-mushroom-pizza-with-a-cauliflower-crust/
  • kgagnon7779
    Options
    My turned out really great. I think the key might be the cheese though - it really binds it all together. But, the most important thing I found was to just squeeze the heck out of the cauliflower. Really - squeeze until you can't squeeze anymore. Did you do that? My crust's consistency was really close to pizza crust.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Mine was yummy, but definitely too soft and not really like pizza. I did not add any cheese. Next time I will add a small amount of whole wheat or almond flour to help bind it.

I hate squeezing vegetables of their water. Isn't there a machine I could buy or invent?
  • elly0001
    Options
    Mine bound together well without The cheese It was a bit too eggy tho. Whatdo u mean squeeze the cauliflower??
  • kgagnon7779
    Options
    Mine bound together well without The cheese It was a bit too eggy tho. Whatdo u mean squeeze the cauliflower??
    You really need to get all the moisture out of it. I used an entire head of fresh cauliflower and steamed it. Then, grated it by hand with a cheese grater and then took handfuls at a time and squeezed all of the water out of it. Did you add some seasonings? I also added frozen spinach (also squeezed all water out). Mine wasn't eggy at all, but again, I used cheese.
  • DeBlue
    DeBlue Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    bump
  • elly0001
    Options
    Well mine might not taste too eggy when I put the topping and stuff on it. Guess I'll have to wait and see :) should be good
  • byukid
    byukid Posts: 55
    Options
    Here's my advice, I've made a dozen or so in the past few months:

Boil the cauliflower
    Mash with a wire masher
    Use a ricer to get as much moisture out as possible, OR place all mashed cauliflower on several sheets of paper towels, roll up and squeeze
    Adjust mozzarella to Parmesan ratio (a little more parm, a little less mozz
    Use one egg and 1/2 c. of egg white
    Bake on a pre-heated and greased pizza stone, flip after 10 minutes, bake on the other side for a couple minutes before adding toppings.

Should be darn near perfect.
  • vxf111
    vxf111 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have not made this recipie, but based on my understanding of how to get water out of vegetables, your best bet is to chop it up, salt it (that is key!), put it on a microwaveable plate lined with paper towels, nuke for a couple of minutes, squeeze, replace towels, repeat (as often as necessary). Once it's cooked until totally mushy/cooked through, transfer to bowl, use ricer/masher, then give is a final squeezing through a strainer with a spoon or cheesecloth if you have that.

I could see, just from reading the recipie, where the key is getting the moisture out. I know people are hesitant to add salt but nuking with salt and intermittent squeezing is they key to de-watering veggies. I know this from FINALLY figuing out the secret to non-mushy and CRISP eggplant parmesan ;)
  • Froggy1976
    Froggy1976 Posts: 472
    Options
    Bake on a pre-heated and greased pizza stone, flip after 10 minutes, bake on the other side for a couple minutes before adding toppings.

Another key is this right here. Bake it first then put toppings and bake a little more. Mine was fantastic!
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Here's my advice, I've made a dozen or so in the past few months:

Boil the cauliflower
    Mash with a wire masher
    Use a ricer to get as much moisture out as possible, OR place all mashed cauliflower on several sheets of paper towels, roll up and squeeze
    Adjust mozzarella to Parmesan ratio (a little more parm, a little less mozz
    Use one egg and 1/2 c. of egg white

Can you tell me what temp you baked this at???
  • elly0001
    Options
    It says to bake at 450/230
  • kristenFit
    kristenFit Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    can't wait to try this
  • elly0001
    Options
    same -having it for my lunch today! lol :)
  • elly0001
    Options
    Omg I didn't use cheese in the crust but it worked perfectly(I added a little hole wheat flour)! Cos the crust was so low in calories I could I've lots of cheese on my pizza and it wa massive! The size of a big dinner plate and only 200 calories! Delicious!:) tastes just like normal pizza
  • goal6130
    goal6130 Posts: 1
    Options
    I've never posted before, but I feel I need to chime in: I have used the cauliflower pizza recipe from the lucky penny blog called "best cauliflower pizza ever" several times. With toppings, this pizza crust is amazingly satisfying. I think the key points are to really wring out the cauliflower, get as much water out as you can, and I have only baked it on a pizza stone. Yes, it's a little bit of work, but for me, totally worth it. Honestly shocked how good it was. My favorite is to use this crust as the base for a french style brunch pizza - using herbs de provence in the crust, baked as directed, rosemary ham topping (usually low in sugar), gruyere/mozz/parmesan cheese blend on top, after 2nd baking, add shaved shallots and a poached egg, and a side of mixed salad greens with a lite dijon mustard dressing. I make the blog recipe and divide it by 3, so 3 individual pizzas out of one head of cauliflower. I don't know the calories, but it's definitely low carb. Also - I make a few pizza bases and freeze them - works great! Hope that this post adds to the conversation. Like I said, I'm new to this.
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Have been wanting to try this one... thanks for the tips on getting as much moisture out of the cauliflower before baking as possible!
  • pltjess
    pltjess Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I've made one, and I never went through this huge process everyone is talking about. It came out FANTASTIC! Crispy on the edges, a little softer in the middle...

Anyway, I found it on youtube from some Dr. Berg.

Here is his recipe:

Ingredients:

CRUST

2 cups of grated Cauliflower
    2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese (organic)
    2 eggs
    (optional: add 1/4th cup of sauteed caramelized onions to the crust)

TOPPINGS (add what you like)

1/4th cup of pizza sauce or pasta sauce (find the one with the least amount of sugar)
    1 cup of mozzarella cheese (sprinkle on top)
    Slice mushrooms (optional)
    Basil leaves (optional)
    Pepperoni slices (optional)
    Sliced tomatoes (optional)
    Olives (optional)

Directions:

Preset oven at 450 degrees.
    Grate 2 cups of cauliflower.
    Add 2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese (organic).
    Mix in 2 eggs.
    OPTIONAL: add 1/4th cup of sauteed onions in the crust. Just chop 1/2 of a small onion and saute until slightly brown - it condenses down to 1/4 cup.

Cut parchment paper to fit pizza tray.
    Mix crust thoroughly and spread out evenly.
    Cook crust for 15 minutes.
    Apply toppings of your choosing.
    Cook for 10 additional minutes.
    Let cool for 5 minutes

Enjoy!
  • Metcalf1690
    Metcalf1690 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Oh this sounds yummy!!!! Making this over the weekend as a treat!! lol :) Thanks for sharing the recipe.