After work hunger

Options
Ok...any advice on stopping after work hunger? When I get home from work it seems as though I want go eat everything...

Replies

• __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Depends on when you get home from work. When I get home from work I usually eat dinner and that takes care of my hungersssssssss.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    i have dinner
  • reeves5
    reeves5 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My job is very emotional and the time varies for when I get off. And I have a long drive home. I try to eat a snack of some sort on the drive. Nothing too much, bit just enough to get me to dinner.
  • oinkerjnn
    oinkerjnn Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    My go to afternoon snack has been pistachios lately. A serving is a half cup with shells, for around 160 calories of a very healthy nut.
    I fill a half cup so I know I'm not going overboard or short selling myself.

Its surprisingly filling.

I've read somewhere to eat small, savory, snacks before dinner so you don't fill up. Like olives or nuts.
  • the_kat42
    the_kat42 Posts: 23
    Options
    I know that feeling - I do great all day then blow it in the evening after work.

For me, I find it helps to just stay out of the kitchen, as banal as that may sound. If I'm in or near the kitchen, I'll hit the peanut butter jar or the fridge, but if I stay in another room without "eating triggers", I can keep it under control.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I tried to check your food diary to make some suggestions but the last few days are blank... How is your nutrition during the day? Getting enough protein and healthy fats? Drinking enough water?

Or do you think it's more of an emotional hunger where you're not truly hungry but want to eat to comfort yourself due to being drained from the day or various other reason? Boredom and lonliness can be triggers for me so I can get the same way when I get home. I tend to fill my time with playing games on my tablet, reading or actually getting off my rear end and doing housework or going for a walk.

If you're actually hungry, nuts are a great idea. Or maybe some cut up veggies with a little hummus. Something semi filling and healthy but not too filling that it'll ruin your appetite for supper.
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    go work out instead. Keep you occupied until dinner time
  • lozzat88
    lozzat88 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    always helps to have a big glass of water and reassess your hunger; sometimes when we are thirsty we mistake it for hunger.
  • maiko_91
    maiko_91 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Mostly in line with the other comments, having a snack that will keep you ticking over till dinner is a good idea. You want to be just hungry enough to want dinner but not so full you skip the meal alltogether.

I find Avocados really help with satiety, feeling fuller for longer and they're healthy!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Have dinner?
  • blupanda12
    blupanda12 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I had this problem initially, and discovered for me I was waiting too long between last meal and dinner, thus starving by the time I got home. Now I plan snacks explicitly to be eating within an hour of going home, and I try to always have some form of protein with it (e.g. string chees!), as it helps me feel fuller. On days I know I might not be home until late, I pack a light dinner too, so that I can continue eating on schedule to avoid binging on anything easy to grab as soon as I get home.

Perhaps it would help to re-assess what and when you are eating, and move things around a little. Good luck!
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    go work out instead. Keep you occupied until dinner time

This.

I get home around 4pm after school, if I sit down I crash and want to scoff. So instead I get my butt moving. (When school starts again I plan on joining a gym so I can go there before driving home). That then gives me enough energy to get my marking and prep done for the next day. Then tea, then chilling out for a few hours.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I get off work late, and usually just make dinner right away. If I don't have dinner immediately it's because I'm doing errands or working out.

So that!
  • _Clarana_
    _Clarana_ Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Plain yoghurt. Tasty, healthy, comforting, but not too filling to ruin dinner.
  • EmoJew
    EmoJew Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Yesterday i ate 300g of green beans for this very reason. It worked.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    If that's when you want to eat, I suggest eating smaller portions throughout the day and saving an extra small meal or some snacks for after work. It doesn't matter when you eat, it matters how much you eat. If eating after work will help you to stick to your goals, then do it. Often times I end up with 500 or so calories leftover at the end of the night (11pm) because of my busy schedule and I'm scrambling around my kitchen to meet my calories and macros before heading to bed immediately afterward.
  • klwells08
    klwells08 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. As soon as I walk in the door I'm ravenous. I get off work at 3:30 and home at 5:00. What I do is have a protien bar at 3:00. It keeps me from getting as hungry but the food has settled enough for me to workout when I get home. I can't workout with much in my stomach at all. Once my workout is done, a quick shower, and it is time for dinner.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I am ALWAYS starving after work- or when I get home.

ALWAYS.

so instead of trying to fight being hungry then- I just push all my food back by like 4 or 5 hours. I do not start eating ill about 1 PM.

I have between 600-900 or so calories during the day- and I try to push as much as I can to the evenings. It's just easier than trying to fight it.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I go to work around 9 AM and don't get home till around 11 PM. By then any appetite I had is pretty much gone.