Need suggestions - weight training program for 17yo son

Options
Calliope610
Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
My son is visiting me this week and has been going to the gym with me. He is "track-star" build, 5'9", and lean. He wants to gain muscle in for his upcoming lacrosse season. When he is in the gym, he drifts from machine to machine, from bench to dumbbells to barbells - with no real direction or purpose. I recognize as not having a good program or training routine. I explained my StrongLifts 5x5 program, but that doesn't appeal to him - not "sexy" enough, I suppose.

Can y'all suggest any other programs that might appeal to a young novice lifter. I think he would like a program that works one muscle group/day, maybe 3-4 workouts/week.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    well unfortunately lifting isnt sexy or glamorous.

so not quite sure what to suggest. if he wants to gain muscle and build strength he's going to have to do the grunt work
  • stephinator92
    stephinator92 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of Body Beast?
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    He could maybe do 5/3/1 but honestly, if he really wants to make strength gains as a new lifter he should be doing fully body compound lifts three times a week, not split routines. He needs to build a base and perfect his form first. Tell him to do what works, not what looks cool. I know I know, difficult concept for teenage boys.

I would say have him talk to a football coach, but that may or may not be helpful.
  • bree827642
    Options
    It might be worth getting him a session with a personal trainer to get him set up with a routine that appeals to him and, more importantly, get him to learn the right technique. Young people just starting out (okay, anyone just starting out) can be overeager and hurt themselves if they're not sure what they're doing, especially on lifting.

Also if that safety message comes from someone other than a parent sometimes it can have more of an impact - something I'm still learning after all these years ;)
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Layne Nortons Power/Hypertrophy routine. Should be all over google.

it's 5 days a week, but you could stretch it out and it'd be fine since it's a pretty intense routine and more recovery wont hurt. Combines the bodybuilding style program with basic compound movements. Lots of guys do it with great success and it's more enjoyable for most younger lifters than a 5x5 strength routine I think
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Never mind. Poor reading comprehension on my part.
  • nlcs_nickyv32
    Options
    It sounds like he wants to train his "beach"/"Bro" muscles. 5x5 is one of the best programs at building muscle & strength. Compound movements are the best like people have said before, he needs to understand that. I'm still trying to get a friend to stop with "Bro" style workouts and go full on 5x5.