Good protein sources that are low in fat and sodium??

Options
CoachJen71
CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
Particularly used as a snack food to add on when my meals don't give me enough protein for the day? My calories are coming out a little low, and fruits and veg just aren't filling the gap. I don't want to slow my metabolism down because of a lack of calories.

I do have a supply of lightly salted nuts and peanut butter, but I can only use them sparingly because of the sodium and fat. I like hummus, but tend to want it on bread. I like cheese, but again it has its limitations. Not wild about beans and lentils, but will eat them when I have to. Also, I don't really think of them as a snack food.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Replies

• TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Boiled eggs, raw vegetables, roasted chikpeas, homemade jerky, peanut butter, oopsie bread. Lots of good protein out there.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,566 Member
    Options
    Beef (or turkey) jerkey. Low fat, sodium so so. Tuna (one pouch is 70 cal and 1g fat, 17g protein and 280mg sodium). Fat free or 2% greek yogurt (I eat 6oz daily with half a scoop protein powder). Mini babybel light cheese. Hard-boiled eggs. I routinely break 100g protein on 1200-1300 cal. Today was 125.
  • CoachJen71
    Options
    Roasted chickpeas sounds really cool. I bet they would be nice in my salad. Thanks!
  • CoachJen71
    Options
    Babybel cheese. I love those. Haven't had them in ages. Will definitely put those on my shopping list. thanks!
  • VitaminAmy
    VitaminAmy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Seitan, if you don't mind gluten.
  • oinkerjnn
    oinkerjnn Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Babybel cheese. I love those. Haven't had them in ages. Will definitely put those on my shopping list. thanks!
    Probably one of the best foods ever invented. I'm doing the same thing now.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,566 Member
    Options
    I eat 4 or 5 of them a week! Wheee
  • CoachJen71
    Options
    Don't mind gluten. That's a great idea. :^)
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    what's a snack to me may not be a snack to you.

egg whites (from actual eggs or cartons) or egg beaters have 25 mg of sodium and 5 grams protein per serving and no fat. i love 'em. i put them on a small paper plate and cook for about 55 seconds in the microwave. they're good with a tsp of parmesan and pepper if you don't want 'em plain, and are also tasty with red or yellow bell pepper pieces on them.

sargento reduced fat swiss. like 40 mg sodium, 9 grams protein per serving. i grab a slice sometimes :)

fage 0% greek yogurt (or other non-fat greek yogurt, but fage tastes best to me). you can put something in it or eat it plain. i really like it, and it's a great protein source.

a wide variety of protein drinks taste good. pure protein canned shakes are good, and low in cholesterol, sodium and fat. you can also mix any protein drink you like with some corn starch, slowly heat till it thickens some and refrigerate and voila! pudding. i might add a little unsweetened cocoa powder and stevia.
  • DSFfit
    DSFfit Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I like to snack on diced chicken for protein.
    Jerkey is salty but there are some lower sodium varieties.
    Protein bars are good.
  • love8383
    love8383 Posts: 169
    Options
    non fat greek yogurt
  • 1seb1
    1seb1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Nobody mentionned protein shake...
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Fat doesn't make you fat. Don't avoid it!

Lentils
    Black beans
    Chick peas
    White beans
    Navy beans
    Kidney beans
    99% lean ground turkey
    Chicken
    Salmon
    Greek yogurt
    Beef jerky
    Protein shake
    Protein bar
    Eggs
    'Light' cheese sticks
  • CoachJen71
    Options
    I'm not avoiding fat per se, but I keep going too high in my daily totals already, so need to be careful there. I like the cheese sticks idea. Something I can just carry in my bag for the day when I get tired of nuts.
  • SaintTawny
    SaintTawny Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I like to have a tuna melt for a low-calorie, high protein snack/small meal. A couple slices of your preferred bread, Nature's Harvest varieties have around 5g of protein and 1g of fat per serving, which is 2 slices (some breads list a serving size as 1 slice... wtf?) half a can of tuna, which is 11g of protein and 0g of fat, plus a little cheese on top for some extra protein. You could use a lower-fat cheese if you preferred, I like my cheese whole. Pop the whole thing in the microwave just long enough to melt the cheese and enjoy. If you looked, you could probably find all three ingredients in a low-sodium format. I'm not as worried about sodium, but the "heart-healthy" trend has companies rolling out loads of low-sodium food items.

I had one for dinner-ish and the whole thing was 219 calories, 4g fat, 22g protein, and 509 sodium.