Not taking enough calories but not hungry

Options
Ok I have been on MFP for over two years not consistantly but on off here and there. Here my issue I am given 1610 calories per day but I gain about 800-900 additional calories due to working out. I never eat back my calories but I'm not even eating the original number. I'm not hungry and I'm loosing weight. I have been eating just under 1200 which when I complete the diary for the day they say is too littler and I may put my body in starvation mode. I eat three meals and two snacks some times three dialy, my diary is open so you can see what I am eating. Is anyone else having this issue? I know it effects some people and they don't drop the weight so they are told to eat more but I am loosing weight dialy and I am not hungry. Can I have some of you guys thoughts on this? Would you keep doing it the way that I am with great results or would you still eat the additonal calories regardless?

Replies

• AFWXDUDE
    AFWXDUDE Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Your body may already be in starvation mode which is why youre not losing weight. When its in starvation mode, any food you eat gets converted into fats and thrown into your body. I would suggest increasing it by at least 300 calories to get up to 1500. If you burn 8-900 at work you literally have no energy for your body to really take from the food. Just my opinion but i would probably eat close to 1800 if i were you.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Diary isn't open.
    OP is losing weight. The DUDE obviously didn't read the OP. Random recommendation is random without knowing weight and diary.
  • jamieenglish1992
    jamieenglish1992 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Your body may already be in starvation mode which is why youre not losing weight. When its in starvation mode, any food you eat gets converted into fats and thrown into your body. I would suggest increasing it by at least 300 calories to get up to 1500. If you burn 8-900 at work you literally have no energy for your body to really take from the food. Just my opinion but i would probably eat close to 1800 if i were you.

Starvation mode is a myth
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Ok I have been on MFP for over two years not consistantly but on off here and there. Here my issue I am given 1610 calories per day but I gain about 800-900 additional calories due to working out. I never eat back my calories but I'm not even eating the original number. I'm not hungry and I'm loosing weight. I have been eating just under 1200 which when I complete the diary for the day they say is too littler and I may put my body in starvation mode. I eat three meals and two snacks some times three dialy, my diary is open so you can see what I am eating. Is anyone else having this issue? I know it effects some people and they don't drop the weight so they are told to eat more but I am loosing weight dialy and I am not hungry. Can I have some of you guys thoughts on this? Would you keep doing it the way that I am with great results or would you still eat the additonal calories regardless?

sounds like you're eating at a massive deficit which will encourage your body to burn muscle... your heart is a muscle....
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    A couple things:

1. You're probably overestimating your calorie burn. 800-900 would require quite a lengthy and quite intense workout. Not impossible, but highly likely over stated.

2. "Starvation mode", as used among weight loss circles is not a thing. Unless you're trapped for months on a desert island with nothing but sand, don't worry about "starvation mode"

3. If you need more calories, but aren't hungry there are several very calorie dense foods that could help. Eat a tablespoon of peanut butter (~200 calories); A couple ounces of cheese (~200 calories), a handful of almonds, etc. Lots of calories with very little bulk.
  • puddy29
    puddy29 Posts: 77
    Options
    AFWXDUD You misunderstood I am loosing weight on a daily basis even without the calories
  • puddy29
    Options
    CEOVERTURF I'm only going on what MFP tells me. I didn't say I burned 800-900 I said MFP give me an additional 800-900 calories to eat due to the work out that I have done. I thought my page was open I will open it now so you guys can see what I eat and what type of exercise I do what numbers MFP gives me based on that.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    CEOVERTURF I'm only going on what MFP tells me. I didn't say I burned 800-900 I said MFP give me an additional 800-900 calories to eat due to the work out that I have done. I thought my page was open I will open it now so you guys can see what I eat and what type of exercise I do what numbers MFP gives me based on that.

if you were doign what MFP told you you should be eating back exercise calories...
  • puddy29
    Options
    ok guys it's open now
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Yes...MFP "Gives" you 800-900 calories because that's what it assumes you burn off by logging whatever exercise you did.

MFP estimates are also NOTORIOUSLY overstated for calorie burns.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    try making higher calorie choices in the foods you are eating....full fat dairy, peanut butter, nuts, oils. If you're filling up on "low calorie" things and leafy greens, you may not be eating enough just because you're full. Be sure to get enough protein. good luck!
  • going2heaven87
    Options

Try sprinkling chia seeds or ground flax seed on all your food. It is tasteless and adds a few extra calories as well as supports digestive health!
  • 7deadly
    7deadly Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I had a look at your diet for the last few days- looks like you are avoiding complex carbs in many of your meals.
    This will explain both why you aren't getting enough calories and why you are losing weight.

What is likely to be happening is as you are doing a low carb diet you are utilising the glycogen in your muscles and liver.
    For every gram of glycogen you are dumping 4g of water.
    Over a few days you might see a 2-3lb drop but it will mostly be water.

If you were to have a big dose of sugar/carbs/salt you will draw back a load of water and technically 'weight more' even though you won't have put on any fat.

If you want to keep on low carbing then do it but be aware of the metabolic processes involved.
    Otherwise maybe try more complex carbs- I like sweet potato, brown rice, cous cous, quinoa.
  • puddy29
    Options
    meganmom2, octatonic, going2heaven8
    Thank you guys all of you all post are helpfull. I will try some of your suggestions.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

Yes...MFP "Gives" you 800-900 calories because that's what it assumes you burn off by logging whatever exercise you did.

MFP estimates are also NOTORIOUSLY overstated for calorie burns.

This. I wouldn't worry too much about eating back all your exercise calories because you likely aren't burning 800 - 900 calories. You logged some really high calorie burns for just a short amount of exercises.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Drink your calories.
    Cook in oil or butter.
    Peanut butter.
    Use extra dressing on any salads.
    Use extra condiments on anything you put them on.

Basically, just slip in extra calories when you can when you feel like you're not eating enough.

Although, it's likely (as other posters say) that the calorie burn is too high. That would definitely explain why you're not that hungry.
  • puddy29
    Options
    thanks everyone for all the info and imput, these numbers are so crazy and off that i decided that i will not log my exercise and deal with the 1610 calories that are giving to me. i will continue to exercise just not log it. i'm eating good and losing weight and that's the goal. Thanks again
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    or you could log the exercise and manually enter the calorie burn as 1 calorie.. thats what i do because i want to also track my exercise times and distances
  • mikegerber1
    mikegerber1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've had this question for a long time... bottom line is this.... I've been at this for a few months now and always get screamed at that I am not eating enough calories. I haven't seen any negative results yet. I don't have a food scale, I don't really measure my food, I estimate. When I look at my graph for my food intake plus calorie burn allowance, I just take it with a grain of salt. If I'm hungry, I eat, I just keep quantities in check. Keep your macros around nominal and you'll be ok. I'm almost always high on sodium, but all I drink is water so it gets flushed regularly. I've become a little addicted to cardio lately so I just don't let the whole calorie eat back thing bother me too much. I just make sure I log everything and stay around my original allowed calories, but then again if I'm hungry, I know I can still have something.