One day severely under calorie goal?

Options
Last night, I had 900 calories left in my day for dinner/a snack. I leave work at 12:30PM (swingshift) and usually go to bed at 4.

However, last night, there were car troubles, I ended up walking home (6.5 miles uphill). Got home a little before 3:00, ate 700 calories (putting me at 1300 overall for the day when I usually aim for 1500. During my walk I used the Runtastic app, and it told me I burned nearly 700 calories on my walk, I try to eat back at least 50-75% of my exercise calories, so now I was at least 550 calories under my goal (which in my mind is too much), but then it was 330, I had to go to bed, ran out of time to digest and eat more.

Should I eat a little more today to make up for it, or just call it an extra deficit and let it go?

Replies

• caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I always have about 700 cals plus left over but I'm not hungry. Its because I have a high activity level. If you are hungry eat more but don't eat just to eat..
  • cassique
    cassique Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Not at all. I use more of a weekly average guideline. Some days I'm over, sometimes under, sometimes right on target but I keep track and check my daily average. I think prolonged low calorie days could mess with your metabolism and health but I low day here and there is not an issue.

Eta I am talking about gross calories not net. I don't pay too much attention to the fitness calories.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Put the day behind and ago to the next day or look at the weekly average. Either way will work.
  • poohbah4
    poohbah4 Posts: 127
    Options
    Let it go. One day isn't going to destroy your metabolism. :wink:
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Put the day behind and ago to the next day or look at the weekly average. Either way will work.

It's really easy to take in an extra 550kcal on the weekend. Just get a good night's sleep and move on. Next time you catch yourself a couple hundred kcal over, you will know it all evens out. Good luck with the car.
  • love8383
    love8383 Posts: 169
    Options
    i don't think you should eat more calories to make up for it, or force yourself to eat just to reach a certain calorie goal if your not hungry. I think there's too much focus put on these numbers, just listen to your body if its hungry eat if not don't.