Want Your Opinions!

Options
So, I have had a pretty uncomfortable and unhealthy relationship with food and my body my entire life. I tend to go to extremes (either super lazy and eat too much OR eat barely anything and work out too much). This time I really want to get a healthy balance and be able to maintain my goal weight.

A little about me: I am 19 years old, 5'5'', and 163 lbs. I have gained about 15 lbs since the end of high school since I started college. BTW, I do not eat dorm food or anything, I buy my own groceries and cook/pack lunches. I was 145 at the end of high school and I was fairly happy with that. Right now it is my goal to get back to that point and then go from there.

Right now MFP has me at a goal of 1380 calories per day. This number is low-ish for me compared to usual but I do not feel I am starving. If it were up to me I would probably eat an entire extra plate of food per day lol, but I don't think I NEED it. Normally I eat anywhere from 1500-2500 depending.

I have been doing exercises on Youtube: 5 minute arms (pilates), 8 minute abs (the old 80s one), and 8 minute legs (also the old 80s one). I plan on doing this 4-5 days per week and have been able to stick to that so far. I also want to incorporate 3 days of cardio (walking, running).. was gonna try to accomplish the couch to 5k app challenge.

Does this sound like a healthy, realistic plan for me?

Also what are the goal weights of women with similar stats if you are reading this?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Somewhat realistic.
    More realistic is to set MFP to a half a pound a week.
  • KLangleydoula
    KLangleydoula Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Your exercise sounds great. I would recommend tracking your food carefully. Nutrition is the hardest thing to get right. Would love to chat more. Feel free to add me!
  • varneramb
    varneramb Posts: 7
    Options
    Am I eating enough?

I am eating below my BMR and well below my TDEE. Should I be eating between that or? I don't really know how all of that works. Also, I am not sure if I am sedentary or lightly active..
  • varneramb
    Options
    My BMR is 1517. My TEEDEE is 2086. MFP has me eat 1380, is that right? If I want to lose weight. Or do I need to eat more? This is confusing.
  • varneramb
    Options
    Does anyone know? TY
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 1517. My TEEDEE is 2086. MFP has me eat 1380, is that right? If I want to lose weight. Or do I need to eat more? This is confusing.
    Mine is similar^. I eat around 1600 to 1700. I figure as long as I'm between BMR and TDEE it's about right. I don't eat back exercise though.

Edited to add, if you haven't found it yet this calculator is awesome. Used it the whole time I was losing weight:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    You sound stressed and confused. Here's a great link with a ton of information:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

It goes through TDEE, exercise, setting your macros, and other measures to recognize success. It's long, but well worth the read.

I hope something in there helps. You can do this! Pay attention to the part about measurements and taking pictures. When I have trouble seeing how far I've come, those pictures are amazing for comparison. :flowerforyou:
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    My suggestion: incorporate more large muscle group exercises.

Arms and abs are small muscles, which means they burn small amounts of calories when you exercise them. To maximize your workout, go after the larger muscle groups: chest, back and legs. Engage your whole body rather than isolated body parts. You'll get multiple times more calorie burn for the same investment of time.

The temptation is to work the body parts where there's flab - which is my guess as to why you chose the arms and abs workouts specifically. The problem is that research has shown it is virtually impossible to "spot reduce" fat. It's going to come off in the reverse order that it went on - no matter where on the body that happens to be. Your arms and abs will fall into line when your overall body fat falls.
  • varneramb
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! Reading through it now. I wouldn't say I am stressed.. more like hungry? Haha. :P
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! Reading through it now. I wouldn't say I am stressed.. more like hungry? Haha. :P

Fair enough :flowerforyou:
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I'm actually in the same boat, except 21 instead of 19. I've struggled my entire life with both Anorexia and Binge Eating Disorder (obviously not both at the same time as that's not possible...but i flip flop over the years, between the two extreme disorders). Right now, i'm trying to find peace with my body, and with food. It's a rather grueling physical and mental process, but i've come to find that it's really worth it! Feel free to add me if you want a recovery buddy/some positive inspiration. I'm always looking for people who can relate to me in one sense or another. :)

Personally, not focusing on calories and merely making sure i'm 'eating enough' has been really helpful for me. That's just me though.

Also, MFP tends to be rather drastic with it's calorie suggestions, so i advise that if you're going to count calories, go to an external site. You can manually enter all of your goals (including calories!), so using the information from another site should be a lot more accurate.