Slim Fast Protein Shakes

Options
Does anyone use them, and would you recommend them? thanks

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Slimfast isn't a protein shake....

Slimfast is marketed and designed as a meal replacement, supposedly giving you more vitamins etc..., less protein, and more calories.

A protein shake is exactly that..a protein supplement made to help you meet your macros. Some individuals make MRP's out of protein shake powder by adding other good stuff.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Complete crap. It is the non-eating that does the weigh losing, not the magic mushroom milkshake. Still, don't let them stop you charging more than a normal milkshake...
  • jessicameadsstephens
    Options
    Slim Fast has a Protein Shake, one with 10 grams of protein and one with 20 so I was just wondering what people thought of them is all.
  • austinsmom8
    Options
    They have helped me to not feel hungry all the time and I'm losing weight and inches. and the chocolate one ain't that bad. To each his own I guess.
  • Ginahbean81
    Options
    I tried them..there's so much sugar in there. I'm still hungry after I drink one
  • jennybinney1987
    jennybinney1987 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    i asked my dietician about them he said stay away.
  • FatJockSing
    FatJockSing Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    If you are struggling to find the time to make meals, or cant hit specific macros - or just fancy trying them :drinker: (and budget isn't a serious constraint) try them. They are a global brand and you dont get global by selling rubbish (no comment on VALUE for money as I dont know).

Part of this is about finding stuff that HELPS YOU meet your goals. If they work for you stick with them. If not . . . time to experiment. It has taken me about 2 months to find a food plan that 1) meets my Calorie and Macro profile 2) I like enough to stick to for more than a week!!

Good luck!!
  • Kaitou
    Kaitou Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Slim Fast has a Protein Shake, one with 10 grams of protein and one with 20 so I was just wondering what people thought of them is all.

Yeah I've seen them on the pharmacy shelves. They come in bright red cans of powder I think, and there's usually an offbrand version too. Haven't tried them myself though.
  • northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Read the label and use your best judgement. If it fits in your calorie goal, and satiates your hunger for a reasonable amount of time, it might be worth it.

Or it may not. only you can know.

Holy crap! How is that for a "I have no idea, it's worth a shot" non-answer? Hopefully someone can be of actual help.

:-)
  • 68berry67
    68berry67 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Does anyone use them, and would you recommend them? thanks
    [/quote
    I haven't had one of those in about ten years. If it's just the protein you are looking for then look for a good quality protein powder you can mix with milk or whatever you want.. The reason I quit drinking them is because of the fillers they use in them and I have an inflammatory disease that forces me to eat pretty clean to stay feeling my best.
  • sheiscute22
    sheiscute22 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    They are ok for me so far. Although I appreciate all the comments. There is a substantial helping of sugar. But they keep me from getting hungry, and they are helping me with digestive issues at the moment. My body is adjusting to less food, more exercise and I've had some uncomfortable moments, if you know what I mean. So they help settle things down, keep hunger away, until I have time to fix good food.:smile:
  • mrsjas2000
    mrsjas2000 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    before I met my now husband I did slimfast 2x a day and lost 60 lbs and never felt hungry, once I met my husband I stopped it because he didn't like it I also didn't exercise as much I didn't drive I walked everywhere he drove, we also ate out a lot, so I gained it all back and more so I am back on it but only once a day, I have a daycare so for me it is a quick breakfast, I like the taste and it did work for me. I didn't know about one with more protein I will have to look for it.

I just googled the ingredients and I was very surprised by them, I am in Canada, and when I went on holidays I would buy it in the U.S.A. but now I know not to, sugar is the American first ingredient and skim milk powder is in Canada's also all of the amounts, sugars, fat, sodium etc. are all less in the Canadian form, so I guess for me anyway I will keep shopping for this at home
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I have the 10 gram protein one. I blend the powder with a cup of skim or almond milk,a cup of chilled coffee and ice and maybe a packet of truvia. Its 200calories (150 if unsweetened almond milk instead of skim cow milm) and very filling. Tastes like a coolatta.
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Rich Chocolate Royale is my crack. To me they taste better than any other chocolate milk and blended with some ice cubes puts it at par with most milk shakes. To each their own, of course, and I don't like the other flavors because the other flavors taste chalky to me but man the dark chocolate flavor is amazing.

I don't drink them anymore because they're a bit too high in sugar for me but dog gone they're good. That's almost to the level of having a "splurge" or if I need a boost of carbs and protein for some reason and don't have the ability or time to get any real food. I personally have never been able to feel sustained on the slim fast plan at all - I don't find eating candy all day fulfilling (yeah, I know, they're better for you nutritionally than candy but I dare anyone to look me in the eye and tell me that a chocolate peanut butter bar isn't candy) - but as a supplement it's ok --- but there are better nutritional ratios out there for protein shakes.
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I tried Slimfast shakes a few years ago and thought they were kind of meh tasting. I now make my own smoothies and the flavor and nutrition is so much better. I weigh and log everything I put in them so I know exactly what I'm getting. I use plain greek yogurt and protein powder and skim milk plus fresh fruit or chocolate protein powder and PB2 for Reese's type smoothies. The only downside is they require refrigeration or immediate consumption, while cans of Slimfast are good for portability. For me, a smoothie is a great way to get natural fruit and protein in my daily diet. For others, Slimfast may be a better option for convenience though the compromise is you have no control over the ingredients and the higher sugar content.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I once had BOGO free coupons for Slimfast, so I used the 20 gram one for breakfast. Otherwise, they're too expensive and you're better off buying powder and making your own.
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I have used them especially for breakfast if I am in a hurry or on vacation where I want to be sure at least one meal is nutritous.
    Being Diabetic, my dietician said they are ok to use occasionally. I bought a smoothie blender($30) and make my own for alot less. Try stawberries 1tbs oatmeal,sugar free coffee creamer and water for a yummy treat. Also to clean the blender,riinse and fill 1/2 way with water, drop of dishwater detergent and blend for a few seconds.Rinse and ready for next use
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I tried the Slim Fast shakes ONCE and thought they tasted nasty.

I like the Special K breakfast shakes. If I remember correctly, they have 9g of protein. Special K did come out with "protein shakes" but they have the exact same amount of protein as the breakfast shakes do, so I don't really see the difference. (That and I did try one of those due to a coupon I had and didn't care for the flavor of the protein shake ones.) I like the strawberry flavored breakfast shakes the best. The claim to satisfy your hunger, and for at me at least, they do.
  • Phatgirl420
    Phatgirl420 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I drink them. I usually buy a pack or 2 to keep at home for those days where I just do not feel like eating a big breakfast, or not in the mood for breakfast really at all, but still want to get something in me. I love the strawberries and cream. I have no problem with them, and they keep me full until my mid morning snack around 10:30 or so. I usually just have them for breakfast tho.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I second the idea of just getting regular protein powder. It looks like the Slim Fast stuff has 110 calories, 10g protein, and 24g of sugar per serving. I use Sci Mx Ultra Whey Protein, which has 175 calories, 33g protein, and 6.6g sugar. Slim Fast adds some vitamins to theirs, but if you're getting an otherwise balanced diet, you should be getting that stuff anyway.