Protein Powder

Options
blue696
blue696 Posts: 94 Member
What type of protein powder is the best?

I am a 20 year old college student trying to loose a few pounds to feel better about myself, though I have never been overweight. I am very active, and drink protein shakes because I like them and they are tasty. I am looking to expand my horizons and try new powders so I would love your opinions!

Thanks!

Replies

• VitaminAmy
    VitaminAmy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Spiru-tein banana flavor is my favorite! It mixes really well, no blender needed. Yum.
  • JonnyQwest
    JonnyQwest Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Gold Standard Whey IMHO is the best tasting and easiest to mix.
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Designer Whey french vanilla and double chocolate are my go-to's for 20g of protein every day.

Though not a protein powder per se, I like PB2 mixed in with chocolate protein powder for a Reese's shake every so often. Those babies are good!
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    There is no right or wrong answer, it really comes down to your own taste buds really. I've tried many different flavors, with many different combinations to see which ones I enjoyed the most. Some were good, some were right down nasty.

You'll get many different answers from everyone on here, but they all typically have the same ratios for protein and calories, give or take a couple.

trial and error.
  • tjphelps73
    tjphelps73 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I like the Designer Whey for Chocolate, Body Tech (Vitamin Shoppe Brand) for French Vanilla.
    Big Train - Fit Frappe - LOVE THE Mocha FIt
    I have not tried strawberry, plain, banana, etc. so no suggestions there.

I tried LOTS of different brands when I first started drinking protein shakes - they are different. It will be trial and error to your taste.
  • chauntellebrewer
    chauntellebrewer Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Combat Cookies N Cream protein powder is delicious! It tastes just like a milkshake!
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    This is one of those age old questions......like the chicken or egg, which came first? Lol.....cause there is no right answer :X You're best bet is to try them all, see what you like best......note: they all taste bad for the most part! LOL. I like to switch my protein up......every time I need a refill, I'll try another brand.....so far my favorite personally, is Muscle Milk, the powder, comes in a 3 or 5 lb bag from Sams Club and it's pretty reasonable (compared to other retailers.....)

I just can't be arsed to buy supps online.....I've heard bodybuilding.com runs deals every so often though and are good.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    protein shakes won't make you lose weight. a calorie deficit does.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    For extra protein, when it fits my calories and macros, I go for syntha6- their shakes taste like melted ice cream, no joke. I work out sometimes just to have one of those shakes. I make it with milk instead of water, but water tastes just fine too.
  • sparkerxoxo
    Options
    Gold Standard Whey IMHO is the best tasting and easiest to mix.

^^ I second this one. Quality protein with few carbs and tastes pretty good with milk. I find that its cheapest at bodybuilding.com and they have taste ratings on there to help you pick one out. I like extreme chocolate milk, French vanilla, strawberry banana, mocha capp and I've got cookies & cream on its way to me now!

Also, the vanilla is wonderful in smoothies :smile:
  • hobbeskastiel
    hobbeskastiel Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    In my opinion Syntha 6 tastes the best out of the ones I've tried. I get the chocolate one, but it's 200 calories a scoop, 22 grams of protein. I also get Species Isolyze. It is only 110 calories, 27 grams of protein. Usually I will use these half and half with almond milk and maybe add some oatmeal.
  • blue696
    blue696 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you which ones you DON'T want:

Shakeology
    Herbalife
    Body By Vi
    Anything sold by an MLM salesperson.

Well done.....
  • rachelilly
    rachelilly Posts: 62
    Options
    NOT Muscle Milk Light Cake Batter. Bleh. Just got it the other day and I can barely choke it down. Can I return protein powder if I don't like it? There's no way I can stomach 1.65 lbs of this crap.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    For extra protein, when it fits my calories and macros, I go for syntha6- their shakes taste like melted ice cream, no joke. I work out sometimes just to have one of those shakes. I make it with milk instead of water, but water tastes just fine too.

This. I have also worked out just to create a deficit enough to have some milk (dairy, soy, almond, whatever) and Syntha Six Vanilla Ice Cream. For days when I don't have enough calories but need protein, I go with Trutein. I have Cinnabun which is really good. Hoping to try Chocolate Peanut Butter too.