Help! Hernia!

Options
I really want to reach my weight loss goal but this stupid hernia has caused me to stop working out. I haven't worked out since mid-June. Here's my story: I had surgery for an umbilical hernia while overseas. The doctors concluded that I received the hernia from my last pregnancy. Before and during the first trimester of my pregnancy I had a personal trainer which I loved but then in the second trimester I took a turn for that worst and was in so much pain I could barely walk at times. After surgery and the recovery period I was cleared to go back to normal activities including working out. I started with mild exercising and started Insanity. After the second month something didn't seem right. I made repeated trips to the doctor that I had a hernia and they would continuously say no you're fine, you're just whining and you need to work through the pain. I kept telling them it was bulging out when I do certain activities and it starting popping out randomly(while driving, sneezing, coughing, putting on lotion, standing after sitting, sitting after standing,etc.) I told them the defect was in my upper right abdomen under my breast. Doing sit-ups and crunches were out. There was no way I could and I became very depressed because I love to work out and keep in shape. Upon returning to the US a year later with the problem I visited a doctor who referred me to a surgeon. The surgeon said he couldn't feel anything but would schedule surgery to take a look. He said he believed I was telling the truth that something was wrong. Well I had surgery again and the doctor informed me that he thinks he fixed what was wrong. My stomach muscles were separated about 6 inches apart and the defect was protruding through there. So his solution was to pull the stomach muscles as right as he could and stitch them back which I really appreciate. He also used mesh to cover the area so now I have 2 pieces of mesh in my body....1 from the 1st surgery and 1 from the 2nd surgery. I love my children but I'm done....no more after what my body has gone through and I'm still going through. The last surgery put me down for about 6 months due to the fact I needed to give the stomach muscles time to heal completely.

Well, while still recovering 2 months after surgery I was driving my children to school and the hernia pops out. All I could do was cry. I thought things were really going to get better. It's the same hernia in my upper right abdomen. I'm guessing the doctor saw the defect with the stomach muscles and assumed that was the issue. He did enter my abdomen from the left side so he could see the right side but he stumbled across the stomach muscles before he could get to the right. It has been almost a year since surgery and I am hesitant about another surgery. This hernia popping out is becoming more frequent and I feel like crap because I can't work out like I want to. I get going good then I'm down a month because the area where the hernia pops out at gets so irritated and sensitive after it pops out. Has anyone had multiple hernia repairs? Is it worth letting them operate again? Has again just lost weight and it helped your hernia without you having to have surgery? Will a strict diet to lose weight help a hernia? Any suggestions? I eat healthy every day except for my cheat day every week in which I may eat my favorite candy, eat out, etc. This is all so frustrating. I feel like I'm on a roller coaster ride. I was doing so good before this last hernia episode. My doctor asked what I was doing because she saw that I had lost weight when I went in for a check up. I just want to feel comfortable in my skin. Thanks for all input given.

Replies

• lightmouse
    lightmouse Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I feel for you. I have a epigastral hernia in the centre of my upper abdomen below my ribcage. It has been there for about six months and all I have been doing is pushing it back in because I am scared that if I have the surgery, I will be unable to exercise while I recover and it will probably come back anyway :cry: I have no idea what caused it, I am 29, fit and healthy and have never had any children. I have been doing P90X and running while having this hernia and it doesn't cause me too many problems. I think that is also probably why I am leaving it there, despite my boyfriend and family constantly nagging me to go to the doctor and get it fixed. I am also interested in other people's experiences of this because I really don't know what to do - it doesn't cause me any pain as such so I don't want to be operated on in case it ends up causing more problems.
  • mikevandewetering
    mikevandewetering Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    my dad had a hernia surgery it took him a while before he could go back to excersising but he did. That was 10 years ago, he is now going to the gym and lifting heavy. Within 3 weeks after the surgery he did most of the things he could do before (even tho it was not recommend). The only advice i can give you is take it slow and try to strech little by little. Also instead of excersising go out for a long walk or so, it is a strech and an activity in one.

I read alot about dieting combining with illness/recovery and most recommend that you eat at maintaince to help with your recovery. But remember that your TDEE/TEE will be lower because of your activitylevels will drop.
  • Thanks for the input....it has been really helpful. I agree that if the hernia is not causing any problems to just leave it alone. The first hernia I had surgery for did not give any problems but because the doctors couldn't figure out what really was going on with me. They insisted it was the hernia and the area where it was did not cause any problems or issues. After that surgery, then came 2 more hernias....smh!
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I had a hernia in my groin area about 10 years ago. Never really hurt, but looked kind of like a big lump or bump at the end of the day down there. I figured I should get it taken care of before it got any worse, so I had surgery done on it. The surgery was simple, an outpatient deal. I was sore for about a week, but after that it wasn't very bad at all. I had to take it easy for a while, but after a while I was back to lifting weights and going about my life. It's been 10 years now and I've no issues.

Maybe you can get another opinion or something? Have another doctor look at it?

I know they put a plug in mine, then a patch in the area that would stay there and become intertwined with all my ab muscles to keep it all together. No pain and no issues. Maybe they could do something similar for you. Someone has to be able to fix it right for you, just have to find the right doctor.