thin hair and ugly nails- ladies help!

Options
My hair on my head grows quickly. The hair on my legs and under arms is VERY slow. I can go weeks in between shaving before i get even a stubble. I like it this way. but my hair (everywhere) is very VERY thin and i am desperate for some umphh and body (again- for my hair. i have enough body on my body :wink: )

ive read that biotin is good for hair growth and to thicken the hair. is this true? Does anyone have any experience with it or anything else that theyd suggest? Please?! My hair is seriously so thin I have to brush it just right when I put it in a pony or it looks like i have a big bald spot!

And yes i know lots of water and a good diet will help too. but its not helping enough!

Replies

• mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    After I had my 2nd daughter I was anemic (low iron) and my hair was falling out around the edges of my hairline. My doc put me on iron pills and suggested Biotin. I got the Biotin at Walmart. The combination helped. Considering what you said about your legs it could also be a hormone issue.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I need to look into Biotin too. Thanks for the suggestion. I asked my hairdresser about this recently and she suggested that I take pre-natal vitamins.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the hair - sorry.
    But, for nails take liquid calcium and magnesium.
    This has helped my nails a ton! My nails are super strong, long and healthy now.
  • goldmay
    goldmay Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I tried biotin for my hair for several months and didn't see any results. :( I've heard getting in more protein can help, so I've started trying that. My protein intake used to make up 10% or fewer of my calories.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I use Biotin daily and it has helped my hair and nails tremendously.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    I use Biotin daily and it has helped my hair and nails tremendously.

THIS! Love my biotin!
  • JoMoMOMx3
    JoMoMOMx3 Posts: 77
    Options
    I don't know about the hair - sorry.
    But, for nails take liquid calcium and magnesium.
    This has helped my nails a ton! My nails are super strong, long and healthy now.
    does it have to be liquid? will the pills work the same way?
  • chezzabelle82
    chezzabelle82 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    If your hair has started falling out go to the dr as it can be a sign for thyriod problems ( I was told before) if it's not that then your dr might be able to suggest a multi vitamin for you to take to help ????
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Biotin does help. Make sure you buy a good quality kind, with no fillers to get the best effect.
  • RamonaFr
    RamonaFr Posts: 112
    Options
    Is this something that happens in your family? If so, it's probably genetic. If not, might not hurt to go to the doctor and have a physical just to make sure all your hormones, chemicals and minerals are OK.

It's genetic in my family. All the women develop thinning hair. However, my sister (she runs a health food store but isn't too over the top on supplements) told me to take kelp every day. Just one capsule. It seems to help both my hair and nails. I agree biotin is probably a good idea, too.

Good luck!
  • foodequalshappy
    foodequalshappy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If your hair is falling out, please see a trichologist. You might need some bloodwork for them to figure out what it is.

I am not a fan of biotin because it makes the hair grow everywhere, so not just where you want it, which I can't deal with.

Easy fixes: Up your water and protein intake.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of biotin because it makes the hair grow everywhere, so not just where you want it, which I can't deal with.

That is why they invented razors and waxing. *shrug* :wink: