What helps you make it through the day on 1200

Options
Hello! Just wondering, if you do a pretty low calorie diet like 1200-1300 what tips/tricks help you make it through the day?

Replies

• mikevandewetering
    mikevandewetering Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    i would say IF (intermediate fasting)
  • jeancuffe
    jeancuffe Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I eat protein to fill me up - eggs for example
  • ElkeKNJ
    ElkeKNJ Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I started last week on 1200, and it made me feel hungry throughout the day.
    I am now the third day on which I have bulked up my breakfast, and lunch, and less kcal for diner. This helps me feeling less hungry.
    I preplan, and for the last two days, it seemed my diners had more kcal's than my lunches, so I switched them. Feel free to look at my diary.
    This morning, I baked a banana, with light cream and walnuts. Really tasty. And I had a mango for midmorning snack.
  • Flyingfree83
    Flyingfree83 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I try to space my meals throughout the day, if I feel hungry in between I drink water. High protein fills me up and I try to eat whole wheat and not white, breads, pasta etc
  • lolliopopsnrainbows
    lolliopopsnrainbows Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Drinking water! I'm terrible at drinking enough water, but on the days I do try and make a real effort to drink more, I find I think about food much much less throughout the day and always come in under target (my target is higher than yours, at 1650, and I still struggle to stick to it most days!). I try to drink 2 litres on these days. The rest of the time my water intake is abysmal!

I know lots of people also say that protein and fat keeps the hunger at bay far better than carbs so you could try that too?
  • jenny24012014
    jenny24012014 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Drinking masses of water
  • JamesLeeAllen
    Options
    I'm trying to stay around 1250 for a few weeks to drop a few lbs but I burn between 800-2000 calories through exercise each day (cyclist) so I can pretty much still eat what ever I want.

Doing a bit of exercise to allow yourself to eat a bit more can be helpful.
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    I'm doing 1200 for 5 weeks while it's the summer holidays. Exercise helps me through, that way I can eat more :)
  • snoringcat
    snoringcat Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 a day. High protein snacks like cheese. I've hardly felt hungry at all. I do try to do at least a 200-300 kcal exercise every day though!
  • lallypip
    lallypip Posts: 6
    Options
    I have to agree with everyone who has said to exercise, that way you earn some extra cals. Although in saying that I'm on 1200 a day too, am having a rest day so no extra cals earned and I haven't been hungry...
  • JamesLeeAllen
    Options
    Big problem for me is on the odd rest day I have (of which I've only had 2 this month) - I get so bored that I end up eating way too much.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Hello! Just wondering, if you do a pretty low calorie diet like 1200-1300 what tips/tricks help you make it through the day?
    I would say if your struggling that much your likely to be eating too little. The majority of people can eat far more and still lose weight. Maybe have a look at the link and adjust your goals. You do not need to suffer to lose weight

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexypants&page=1#posts-18361594
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Generally lean meats and lots of veggies will do, but the bigger question is, do you exercise? If you do, you can probably eat a lot more calories. Heck, there is a good chance you can eat more than that now since you have very little weight to use. And looking at your weight, i suspect you are tall too, which would help too.

BTW OP, do you use a food scale? And can you open your food diary?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I'm trying to stay around 1250 for a few weeks to drop a few lbs but I burn between 800-2000 calories through exercise each day (cyclist) so I can pretty much still eat what ever I want.

Doing a bit of exercise to allow yourself to eat a bit more can be helpful.

For a man, that is excruciatingly low, especially for an active man. You should really reconsider, otherwise, you will probably lose a lot of lean body mass.
  • Cati321
    Cati321 Posts: 35
    Options
    Generally lean meats and lots of veggies will do, but the bigger question is, do you exercise? If you do, you can probably eat a lot more calories. Heck, there is a good chance you can eat more than that now since you have very little weight to use. And looking at your weight, i suspect you are tall too, which would help too.

Ok I opened my diary now, I thought it was - oops! Yeah so 70kg is my first milestone, but I feel better around 67kg. Just getting quite frustrated so considering lowering my calories from 1500 to 1200-300 and exercising (walk/running/pilates) like I already do.
  • rachelilly
    rachelilly Posts: 62
    Options
    Protein shakes, or other high protein food items. Sometimes I'll just thaw a serving of frozen pre-cooked shrimp and that's enough for a snack. Greek yogurt too!
  • psuLemon
    Options

Ok I opened my diary now, I thought it was - oops! Yeah so 70kg is my first milestone, but I feel better around 67kg. Just getting quite frustrated so considering lowering my calories from 1500 to 1200-300 and exercising (walk/running/pilates) like I already do.

Do you use a food scale? And what is your exercise routine?
  • Blair2374
    Blair2374 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Exercise so I can eat more :)

Tonight i'll go spinning and I know I can eat an extra 300-350 calories :)

Also, when out exercising you can't eat a huge normal dinner. I tend to have eggs (sometimes toast with it) at 5.30pm, then go spinning 8-9pm. I'll have another snack when home.
  • jaynerebecca1
    jaynerebecca1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I plan a lot of snacks. String cheese is a favorite, I can't make it from breakfast to lunch normally without something in betwee. And most are only 50-90 calories. Bring a piece of fruit to work for in between meals. I usually have a small breakfast, snack, small lunch, snack, larger dinner, and still have room for snack or healthy dessert. My diary is open!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't generally do 1200 any more, other than for a day or two on occasion, but when I did I felt satisfied so long as I ate a good bit of protein at each meal (I eat three, usually no snacks) and lots of vegetables.

Also, like others have said, exercise.

For me the challenge with 1200 is not being hungry (if I'm not exercising particularly hard, anyway)--I tend to be full if I eat a good volume of food, and you can eat a LOT on 1200 if you focus on vegetables and lean meats. It's that to meet it I'd end up eating very same-y, and it would be hard for me to sustain that consistently over a long period of time without getting tired of it. So exercise (and understanding the reasons to eat back exercise calories) has allowed me to create a diet I can see enjoying forever and which has a lot more flexibility (although obviously I don't plan to eat at a deficit forever).