Which goal did you choose?

Options
This may sound dumb, but I was curious as to what goal you chose when you first signed up here. I chose 2 lbs a week, and after seeing how much I ate in one day decided that wasn't going to work very well. Of course I am having chili and that adds a lot to my calorie intake.

It allotted me 1200 calories per day to reach the 2 lb loss. I changed it to 1 lb a week.

What has everyone else done? And what foods so you eat to help you stay in your caloric boundry?

Replies

• bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I started at 1 lb a week, but since i didnt have much to lose my calories were way to low...the good news is you can change your goals after you find out what will work for you and is in your comfort zone....
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    My goal is to lose 50lbs by 12/31/2011. I chose 1 lb a week. I know that is a long goal but my main accomplishment is to alter my lifestyle to incorporate execise. I lose weight very slowly so I didn't want to set a short term goal of 20 lbs by x date because I didn't want to get discouraged,
  • krissy_pooo
    krissy_pooo Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have also chosen to aim for one pound a week. I have been working at this for 3 weeks now and I've lost 3 pounds. I was also given 1200 calories per day to reach my goal and here's an example of what my day is like... breakfast is usually coffee and special K cereal or an english muffin. lunch is soup or a salad, and dinner is usually whatever I feel like having, but I have seriously cut back my portions and always make sure to fill up on veggies too. I also have snacks throughout the day, fruit, yogurt, granola bars, etc. I drink water throughout the day of course, but I drink tea too, as I find it helps me to not feel hungry. You'd be surprised how far 1200 calories actually goes, and good luck! I love myfitnesspal!!
  • alyssa83202
    Options
    I chose 2lbs a week, but at 1200 calories a day that only puts me at 1.4 so that's where I'm at now. It seems pretty easy to follow, especially when I exercise regularly.
  • queenkala
    Options
    i chose 0.5lb a week, i dont want to lose the weight quickly, its far too easy to put it back on again if you lose it too fast.

also, if i wanted to lose any more than that a week i would starve!!!
  • luvamig
    luvamig Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I chose 1 lb, but since it only lets you go as low as 1200 cal per day, it moved me to 0.8lb per week.

I have lost between 0-2lb per week though, following the limit closely (within 100 cals over, I don't go under hardly ever).
  • marrieandfive
    Options
    It wouldn't let me choose two because 1200 is as low as it goes and for my weight/height I can only lose .9 pounds a week at that amount of calories so I just chose one.
  • luvamig
    luvamig Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't let me choose two because 1200 is as low as it goes and for my weight/height I can only lose .9 pounds a week at that amount of calories so I just chose one.

you and I are in the same boat. How tall are you?
  • Jalfie
    Jalfie Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I chose to lose 1lb a week and it calculated 1680 cals for me. I was thinking that was far too much. I thought it should be 1,200. I'll have to wait and see!
  • Jartexas
    Jartexas Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It's more important that you set up good eating habits and training, so take it slow, as long as you stay with it, it will work,
  • LivingFree
    Options
    I chose 1 lb per week. Usually I'm very close to the set calories range and with exercise have some to spare.
  • alyssa83202
    Options
    I chose 2lbs a week, but at 1200 calories a day that only puts me at 1.4 so that's where I'm at now. It seems pretty easy to follow, especially when I exercise regularly.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I had to back mine down to .5/week, otherwise it just was not nearly enough food. And that level worked great.
  • hope39
    hope39 Posts: 19
    Options
    I would have to agree with Texas man. He said it perfectly :smile:
  • ralevin
    ralevin Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    If you really do want to aim for 2 lbs a week, you may want to give it more than a day or two to try it out.
    My calorie goal is much higher, but that's because I'm starting much bigger. My first few days, I was starving, headachy, lethargic, cranky, etc. Then I started to get used to it.

I also changed my food choices to become more filling.
    Breakfast used to be 2+ servings of cereal, sometimes high fiber, usually not, with skim milk. Now I have a protein shake (1 cup skim milk, 2 scoops chocolate whey protein, some frozen, unsweetened strawberries, and 1 Tbs of natural peanut butter for breakfast. Similar calorie count (slightly higher), but so much more filling.

Lunch used to be PB&J on whole wheat bread, a low fat yogurt or pudding, fruit, and 40% reduced fat chips, or pretzels, or almonds - something savory. Overall, a pretty nutritious lunch, but not so filling, and high in calories (if I remember right, that added up to close to 800 calories.
    Now I have a big salad (something like 4 servings of romaine lettuce), with shredded carrots, sliced hot peppers, 2 hard boiled eggs, and 5 oz. of grilled boneless, skinless chicken breast, with 4 Tbs (2 servings) of a low calorie dressing. Just as filling (if not more), half the calories, and a ton of protein.

This generally leaves me with enough calories to spare to have a "regular" dinner, even a large dinner when I'm able to "earn" 800 calories exercising.

May want to stick with it, but (as you already are), always be willing to make adjustments.
    Keep up the good work!