Destined to be overweight forever???

Options
124»

Replies

• catcalledjinx
    Options
    No, you are not destined to be overweight forever. First of all, you need to change that mindset. You can do it and you will succeed if it is what you really want.

I have looked at your Food Diary and the sad reality is that you cannot have undereaten your calorie allowance for the last 2 weeks without losing any weight at all. You are not recording honestly. What you eat does not make any difference to your weight, only how many calories you consume in a day/over a week. You need to weigh and measure everything that you eat and drink with 100% honesty, if you cheat, you are only cheating yourself.

Don't give up hope, just start afresh. I have slowly and gradually lost 24lb over the last 18 months without doing any exercise (other than normal activity - fairly busy) and without giving up the foods that I love.....but if I want pizza and a glass or two of wine, then that's pretty much it for that day!

You can do this and you can do it right now. Good luck.

Please do not say I am being dishonest. I will admit I am not always 100% of weighing the food but I swear that I log everything baring sugar free gum and sugar free cordial. I use the barcode scanner on my phone and the only thing I do not weight accurately is veg and fruit.
    Even that teaspoon of nutella that shovel in whilst watching tv at night goes in my diary!
    This is why I am so frustrated :(

You can't always trust MFP database. I just typed in a search for buttered toast and came up with an entry for 2 slices at around 150cals. However, my lovely homemade white bread weighs in at 100 cals a slice and even if I only scrape 10g of butter on that would add up to 350 for 2 slices of my delicious toast. (Although, frankly, I would never put as little as 10g butter on - that would be a waste of my lovely bread.) Maybe you have been relying on MFP data, maybe that is an explanation. Also, please do weigh fruit and veg - you may surprise yourself with the outcome! And finally, one teaspoon is about 5g whilst a tablespoon is 15g. See how easy it is to make mistakes - although obvs better when it is in your favour! Keep at it, you will succeed.
  • catcalledjinx
    Options
    I've come to accept the fact that I pretty much cannot reach my goal... forever bulk then

Not true. Give it another shot - you are worth it!
  • Bex_2584
    Bex_2584 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hold on a second. Maybe I went too far with saying starvation mode. What I meant to say was her metabolism may be slowing. We have already established that she is eating more than she is logging and her exercise is way up. It could just be a dip in metabolism that could be the reason she isn't losing consistently. OR she isn't working out as much as she thinks.

What I do know from experience is that when I am super strict on my caloric in take and go consistently lower than 1400 cals I lose less.

In any event, everything I have said is based on my own experiences over the last 4 months and 1 week. Hopefully that experience can help. Obviously my body and physiological makeup are different from yours. You have to find out what makes your body burn the best.

Mark

A reduction in metabolism would correspond to about 10-15% maximum change in metabolism. It's called Adaptive Thermogenesis and while it might be a factor in some weight loss - it isn't the thing to look for until one has truly locked in the other issues related to logging, weighing calories consumed.

Here is the thread on that...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1077746-starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss

Edit: if the OP is still just getting the basics of macros then she's not yet tracking properly.

Thank you for sharing this! Will have a read!
  • Bex_2584
    Options
    No, you are not destined to be overweight forever. First of all, you need to change that mindset. You can do it and you will succeed if it is what you really want.

I have looked at your Food Diary and the sad reality is that you cannot have undereaten your calorie allowance for the last 2 weeks without losing any weight at all. You are not recording honestly. What you eat does not make any difference to your weight, only how many calories you consume in a day/over a week. You need to weigh and measure everything that you eat and drink with 100% honesty, if you cheat, you are only cheating yourself.

Don't give up hope, just start afresh. I have slowly and gradually lost 24lb over the last 18 months without doing any exercise (other than normal activity - fairly busy) and without giving up the foods that I love.....but if I want pizza and a glass or two of wine, then that's pretty much it for that day!

Please do not say I am being dishonest. I will admit I am not always 100% of weighing the food but I swear that I log everything baring sugar free gum and sugar free cordial. I use the barcode scanner on my phone and the only thing I do not weight accurately is veg and fruit.
    Even that teaspoon of nutella that shovel in whilst watching tv at night goes in my diary!

You can't always trust MFP database. I just typed in a search for buttered toast and came up with an entry for 2 slices at around 150cals. However, my lovely homemade white bread weighs in at 100 cals a slice and even if I only scrape 10g of butter on that would add up to 350 for 2 slices of my delicious toast. (Although, frankly, I would never put as little as 10g butter on - that would be a waste of my lovely bread.) Maybe you have been relying on MFP data, maybe that is an explanation. Also, please do weigh fruit and veg - you may surprise yourself with the outcome! And finally, one teaspoon is about 5g whilst a tablespoon is 15g. See how easy it is to make mistakes - although obvs better when it is in your favour! Keep at it, you will succeed.

Thank you I fear I have relied too much on the database and inaccurate logging of calories in.

So glad I posted now otherwise I would have just be plodding along!
  • LotusAsh
    LotusAsh Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I've come to accept the fact that I pretty much cannot reach my goal... forever bulk then

Not true. Give it another shot - you are worth it!

i'll have to disagree with you on that one, but thanks for the positive words.
  • giardano
    giardano Posts: 13
    Options
    Have a look at couch to 5k program.
    It worked for me.
    NHS.co.uk C25k
    It literally starts with walk a minute run a minute
    I am now up to 28mins running.
    It is a healthy and steady way to learn how to run.
  • Bex_2584
    Options
    Have a look at couch to 5k program.
    It worked for me.
    NHS.co.uk C25k
    It literally starts with walk a minute run a minute
    I am now up to 28mins running.
    It is a healthy and steady way to learn how to run.

I have the app thanks and have skipped through to week 3 as weeks one and 2 didn't push me enough but not quite ready for week 4 yet!
    Hoping it will help me run the tough mudder course rather than hobble!
  • giardano
    giardano Posts: 13
    Options
    I have a feeling 1350 is a great amount.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options

Thank you I fear I have relied too much on the database and inaccurate logging of calories in.

As much as I love the scanner feature, it doesn't always mean that the calories that come up are accurate. I usually will double check the nutritional information listed on the label to make sure that it matches what MFP says. Sometimes the ingredients change and it will change the calories.
  • Bex_2584
    Options

As much as I love the scanner feature, it doesn't always mean that the calories that come up are accurate. I usually will double check the nutritional information listed on the label to make sure that it matches what MFP says. Sometimes the ingredients change and it will change the calories.

I always double check against the pack but from the advice given I should be weighing the product aswell??
    For example; Aldi Applebys cooked ham scans at 27 cals per slice like it states on the pack but I should be weighing the slice also right??
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options

I always double check against the pack but from the advice given I should be weighing the product aswell??
    For example; Aldi Applebys cooked ham scans at 27 cals per slice like it states on the pack but I should be weighing the slice also right??

Yes, you still need to weigh it.
  • LotusAsh
    LotusAsh Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    lets all just get fat
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    lets all just get fat

I hope that's Deadpool in your ticker. And Skyrim pp.

Also, pass. Been there done that, bought the sticker
  • brocej
    brocej Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I only joined this site today, but have experience of losing fat in the past. Based on what I see in your diary, these would be my points:

1. I agree that if you are in a calorie deficit you should be losing weight (notice I said weight, not fat).

2. You started logging food about a month ago. 4 weeks is not a long time. A couple of bad meals here and there per week and you can undo your progress for the week.

3. Most people on this site seem to be into weighing everything 100% accurately using scales. I don't have anything against this, but I don't believe it is necessary for everyone. For some, it works mentally and makes a diet easier to comply with, for others it doesn't. Also bear in mind that a) nutritional information on packaging is not 100% correct b) if they are, they are based on burning foods in a lab, not a human body. My point is, even if you weight things, chances are you will still be off. Again, I'm not bashing those who do. It can be a useful exercise, but always expect a variance.

4. Your protein intake is extremely low. If you are engaging in HIIT for 45 minutes 4x per week (sounds like BMF?) AND you are only eating 1200 calories per day, chances are your body is cannibalising muscle (although I can't explain why your weight is not decreasing). This will lower your BMR and eventually you will have to lower your calories even more to continue losing weight. I STRONGLY recommend you eat as many grams of carbs as you do protein to prevent as much muscle loss as you can.

5. I don't see any drinks in your logs. Do you drink anything else apart from water?

6. Whilst it is not essential to 'eat clean' to lose fat I do recommend it. Why? Because the human body is a complex thing. The nutrients found in vegetables play an active part in allowing amino acids (proteins), glucose (carbs), and fatty acids (fats) in and out of your fat and muscle cells. When you eat, a complex set of chemical reactions have to happen to turn break it down into the smallest molecules your body runs on (ATP - Adenosine triphosphate. It's what powers your cells, being non technical about it). If you have a vitamin or mineral deficiency you are making it more difficult for the chemical reactions that break down fat and build up muscle to occur. It short - eat more vegetables and take a good multivitamin daily.

7. Are you sure you are not losing fat? Again, notice I said FAT and not WEIGHT. Do you clothes fit any better? Do you look better in the mirror?

8. Personally, and I have no evidence to back this up, 1,200 calories seems too low. I don't know your height or weight, but I WOULD NOT GO LOWER in the hope that it will jump start your fat loss. If you are accurately recording your calorie intake, then it would seem there is another issue at play here.

What ever you do though - stick with it :) You will find a way through.
  • Bex_2584
    Options
    I only joined this site today, but have experience of losing fat in the past. Based on what I see in your diary, these would be my points:

1. I agree that if you are in a calorie deficit you should be losing weight (notice I said weight, not fat).

2. You started logging food about a month ago. 4 weeks is not a long time. A couple of bad meals here and there per week and you can undo your progress for the week.

3. Most people on this site seem to be into weighing everything 100% accurately using scales. I don't have anything against this, but I don't believe it is necessary for everyone. For some, it works mentally and makes a diet easier to comply with, for others it doesn't. Also bear in mind that a) nutritional information on packaging is not 100% correct b) if they are, they are based on burning foods in a lab, not a human body. My point is, even if you weight things, chances are you will still be off. Again, I'm not bashing those who do. It can be a useful exercise, but always expect a variance.

4. Your protein intake is extremely low. If you are engaging in HIIT for 45 minutes 4x per week (sounds like BMF?) AND you are only eating 1200 calories per day, chances are your body is cannibalising muscle (although I can't explain why your weight is not decreasing). This will lower your BMR and eventually you will have to lower your calories even more to continue losing weight. I STRONGLY recommend you eat as many grams of carbs as you do protein to prevent as much muscle loss as you can.

5. I don't see any drinks in your logs. Do you drink anything else apart from water?

6. Whilst it is not essential to 'eat clean' to lose fat I do recommend it. Why? Because the human body is a complex thing. The nutrients found in vegetables play an active part in allowing amino acids (proteins), glucose (carbs), and fatty acids (fats) in and out of your fat and muscle cells. When you eat, a complex set of chemical reactions have to happen to turn break it down into the smallest molecules your body runs on (ATP - Adenosine triphosphate. It's what powers your cells, being non technical about it). If you have a vitamin or mineral deficiency you are making it more difficult for the chemical reactions that break down fat and build up muscle to occur. It short - eat more vegetables and take a good multivitamin daily.

7. Are you sure you are not losing fat? Again, notice I said FAT and not WEIGHT. Do you clothes fit any better? Do you look better in the mirror?

8. Personally, and I have no evidence to back this up, 1,200 calories seems too low. I don't know your height or weight, but I WOULD NOT GO LOWER in the hope that it will jump start your fat loss. If you are accurately recording your calorie intake, then it would seem there is another issue at play here.

What ever you do though - stick with it :) You will find a way through.

Thank you so much for your reply.

The past couple of days I have been logging as accurately as I can. Yesterday however was an awful day of driving ridiculous miles so wasn't the best day for food - definitely slipped up but tried to claw it back by going for a run.

I have upped my calories slightly and found that a) I am not as cranky b) had more energy to run c) sleeping better

I am v.almost 30 at 5ft6.5 weighing 12st2

The classes I due are very much like BMF classes! Not exactly HIIT but very intense and high paced non stop 45 mins. I do that twice a week then mix in walking 6k and running 2k...some weeks I can't get to classes due to my husbands shifts. These weeks I do 2 rounds of Tabata a couple of nights mixed in with yoga done at home.

I am hoping taking on board everyones tips I will start to see some real progress!

I measure on Sunday so will keep you all posted!
  • Bex_2584
    Options
    lets all just get fat

Haha Errr no thanks!!
  • pigelet
    pigelet Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hiya - get a food scale (if you don't already have one) and
    for a solid month weigh everything that goes pass your lips.
    Don't assume but weigh and you will be able to determine if
    the culprit was indeed inaccurate logging.

Cheers,