Gluten & Dairy Free, Will I lose Weight??

Options
13»

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of the other posters-- if you eat less calories you'll lose weight. But it's completely unnecessary.

Personally I found it easy to eat more calories without gluten, because the flourless recipes tend to make up for lack of flour with additional fat and sugar.

As for Wheat Belly:
    http://www.aaccnet.org/publications/plexus/cfw/pastissues/2012/OpenDocuments/CFW-57-4-0177.pdf
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Only a calorie deficit is going to aid you in weight loss. Give those things up if you have a medical reason to or if you really want to but don't think that they going without them will automatically mean a difference on the scale.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,023 Member
    Options
    In what universe are "blue cheese crumbles" not dairy????

I just don't get the gluten/dairy thing for people who don't have an actual medically-necessary reason to avoid them.

You have misunderstood her post - she said she took the wheat roll and the blue cheese crumbles (ie the gluten and dairy) OUT of her meal - ie so she is now eating a gluten and dairy free meal.

OP all you have done is reduce the calories of the meal - like some one else said, you could remove the avocado and probably acheive same thing.

Your information about sugar spikes from wheat foods is very inaccurate too.
    There is no way the GI of multi grain bread is more than that of a Mars bar - and that's if you eat the bread by itself - presuming you are eating it with other foods, you know, like in a chicken and avocado sandwich - then the GI of the meal is even lower.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    When I first cut out gluten from my diet, I got less migraines and started absorbing nutrients better. I gained weight because I wasn't feeling like a someone was driving an ice pick through my eye most days of the week, nor was I constantly puking. I put on a good 20 pounds. As for dairy free - I've been dairy free since I used to projectile vomit after eating dairy as a kid. So I'd say I put on weight since then too. ;)

OP - "going" gluten and dairy free for weight loss is not great tactic. If you have an allergy or intolerance, then by all means. But don't replace gluten products with gluten-free processed alternatives (same with dairy - some of those soy-based dairy alternatives are just nasty). Eat at a deficit.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I'm cool with people doing what they want. More power to you, OP. :drinker:
    There are people who cut out gluten for legit health reasons and there are people who just want to try the latest diet fad. It's all fine with me because it's not my business what other people do.

But personally, if I didn't have to cut out wheat and milk, I wouldn't. It's totally inconvenient, since that crap is in most processed food. I did it because I was tired of puking out both ends for over a decade. (Many thanks to the doctor who FINALLY freed me from that nightmare of being nauseated and anxious almost constantly. My family and friends thank you, too.) I was already at goal weight, a little under goal from being sick all the time actually. I lost zero pounds going gluten free, but I did lose a pant size when the bloating went away.

I don't buy many of those processed replacement products. Too expensive for my taste. The only thing I do buy is almond milk and bulk brown rice pasta (it's only about 4 cents an ounce more expensive than regular pasta where I buy it.) I just make most of my own food at home from scratch. I've been doing this for a few years now and it's a pain, but it's well worth the effort to feel normal again.
  • ponyvillalobos
    ponyvillalobos Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes I am doing a calorie deficit. I am choosing to do this by not eating dairy and wheat! Also, I am not replacing with crappy processed gluten free and dairy free products! I have lost 5 pounds slowly...in 2 1/2 weeks and gone down a notch on my belt.

I have to say there are quite a few of you on here that seem a little edgy from your diets!! :-)

Thanks everybody else for your input!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes I am doing a calorie deficit. I am choosing to do this by not eating dairy and wheat! Also, I am not replacing with crappy processed gluten free and dairy free products! I have lost 5 pounds slowly...in 2 1/2 weeks and gone down a notch on my belt.

I have to say there are quite a few of you on here that seem a little edgy from your diets!! :-)

glad you're now saying bread and wheat at least, rather than "gluten"
    Good luck with your diet.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    DUPE
  • paperpudding
    Options

I think it is more that people are edgy about misinformation - like wheat causing sugar spikes.

If you want to cut out wheat and dairy , go for it.
    But do it from a position of informed choice, not misinformation.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I think it is more that people are edgy about misinformation - like wheat causing sugar spikes.

If you want to cut out wheat and dairy , go for it.
    But do it from a position of informed choice, not misinformation.
    Actually, as SHE put it, GLUTEN causing sugar spikes.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    In OP the words were "the severe sugar spike you get after eating wheat"

But I agree - neither wheat nor gluten are responsible for severe sugar spikes.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    In OP the words were "the severe sugar spike you get after eating wheat"

But I agree - neither wheat nor gluten are responsible for severe sugar spikes.
    Her OP TOPIC and several subsequent posts were about gluten.

As for wheat... I'll leave the insulin spike discussions to folks with diabetes.

I won't debate the whole GI/GL thing.

That said: I watch my intake of enriched, bleached flours because, FOR ME, yes, they DO tend to lead to issues controlling my energy level and appetite (and they lead to digestive issues).

But yes, PERHAPS, OP, part of the reason folks are cranky is because you're using words rather imprecisely and interchanging words that are not synonymous.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Hey, thanks for your input.
    All I am doing is taking the bread and dairy out of my diet. As a result I am consuming less calories.

for example, If I have a salad for dinner with grilled chicken, avo, tomato and blue cheese crumbles and a wheat roll it totals a certain amount of calories.
    If I take that same meal and take the cheese and what roll away the caloric total will be less.
    I am not replacing the dairy and wheat with anything else. Make sense?

I am consuming about 1200 to 1500 calories a day. I should have stated this is my original post.

I think this particular strategy--focusing on removing calories in meals--works fine, and if removing the cheese and roll is the easiest way to cut calories for you, go for it. I've reduced the amount of cheese I eat a lot, since it has lots of calories and I used to eat a lot, so now I eat it more sparingly (although I will likely have feta in my omelet in a few minutes). Similarly, I am not that into most bread, so it was an easy way FOR ME to cut calories. That's going to depend on personal preference, though, and to me doesn't explain having a rule. Also I eat lots of dairy in general probably, because it's such an easy source of protein and I love yogurt and cottage cheese.

Maybe you also want to experiment to see how you feel without those items. I know they don't make me feel bad, but lots of people do have issues with lactose. Far fewer with wheat (or gluten), but it's kind of a trendy claim and often based on misinformation about wheat and/or gluten, which is why people think it is important to correct misinformation.

IMO, the GI/GL thing is often misunderstood also, as the numbers you see are based on the foods eaten alone. Personally, I know I can spike and crash easily if I eat white bread by itself (same with many other things), which is why my former breakfast of a plain bagel was so dumb, for me. But I've found I get no such effect at all if I eat whole grain bread in a sandwich with meat, what I generally do now.

Also the real reason eliminating food groups works at first but probably doesn't long term is that at first cutting out, say, wheat and dairy leads to cutting out lots of high calorie treats, as well as plenty of other items. But if it's based on a restriction you usually either don't stick with it once the weight is gone and regain or find other kinds of treats to substitute that have as many calories. That's certainly what I'd do, so I just focus on the overall balance of my diet. But I get the desire to experiment.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I have no choice to be both gluten and dairy free and still managed to pile on the pounds - and I don't use too many substitutes either.

One thing you have to remember is that there are many vital nutrients in these food groups and you have to be very careful to make sure you get a balanced diet - you may need to take a good supplements that includes Calcium, selenium, magnesium among others.
  • SweeDecadence92
    SweeDecadence92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I can't handle dairy or gluten, else I have it coming out both ends and usually spend the next day or so in bed, yet here i am on a calorie counting website trying to losing weight.

Anything that has you consuming a calorie deficit is going to result in weight loss.

I feel like you've massively answered your own question though by saying you've lost 5lbs since you started it, so I'm not sure what information your looking for.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    The only thing that will cause weight loss is a caloric deficit. Well, that and crack,but that's not as safe and I assume you want to keep all of your teeth.
  • Liggy302
    Liggy302 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Yeah, I know a calorie deficit leads to weight loss. I should have been more specific. I just hear so much about how all calories are not created equal anymore. ...How your body uses different fuel sources differently, some last longer, some raise your blood sugar, blah, blah, blah.

If anything, it has made me way more aware of what I am putting in my mouth!!! This is always good!

I personally, cut out all gluten, quite strictly a few years ago after being diagnosed with PCOS. It was so hard as it is in virtually everything. I did it with the sole purpose of regaining regular periods (TMI sorry guys), which did happen BUT I also lost just under a stone in 2 months (approx) without changing anything, no exercise etc etc.

Don't know about Dairy though, never tried it. I know weight loss is about Calorie Deficit, but I think it can sometimes be a bit more complicated than that tbh depending on the person, health issues etc etc.

Good Luck :)
  • 0smiile0
    0smiile0 Posts: 22
    Options
    You'll be losing weight this time because you're paying attention to your calories and staying in a deficit. That is the key. Calories in vs calories out. Gluten and dairy or not, thats what it comes down to.

Cutting those types of food out of your diet won't specifically lead to weight loss. Due to intolerances, I cut out gluten and dairy in November and I actually GAINED weight because my body was finally able to digest things properly.

Honestly, I find the whole gluten free fad diet to lose weight very annoying.