This is probably too much information

Options
But I normally weigh myself in the morning after going to the toilet and have somehow put on half a stone in a few days.

In addition to a crappy weekend - (due to failing an exam) I have noticed that my first bowl movements of the day have shifted from first thing in the morning to late morning and have been less over the last week (normally it's three/four times a day now only twice).

Today's poo was huge!! Could I be slightly backed up and could this be the large weight which has appeared over a matter of days?

Replies

• sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Yep! eat a bunch of very ripe fruit, veggies, drink tonnes of water, avoid starches for a few days to loosen things up.
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Sorry to laugh after your crappy weekend, but :laugh: - the poo talk made me laugh (clearly I am really a 7 year old boy).

Yes I guess it's probably a combination of being backed up and temporary water weight. You'll be right after another big poo! try not to stress.
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about laughing I was a bit giggly reading back before posting
  • adopp062715
    adopp062715 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    How do you go four times a day?! I am lucky to go once a day lol. But yes that could be the reason for your weight gain. Eat some more fiber :)
  • freshstart180213
    freshstart180213 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different in toilet habits for some once every couple of days is normal for others a few times a day so if u havent gone normally for u it could certainly explain the weight increase but remember us gals have a rough time anyways hormones and water weight can also explain unexpained gains and losses in weight also u have been through some stress with exams have you logged as carefully as normal have u drunk enough or simply the stress itself could mess with you personally I wouldnt worry too much at this pojnt a week or so ago I got really frustrated myself as just after my ToM the scales stopped but my body reset itself and im back to normal and losing again maybe it will just take your body time to readjust from the stress of revision and exams
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,212 MFP Moderator
    Options
    WHen I'm eating at a deficit, my bowel movements decrease to once every other day or so. For me that's normal, and it may be that since you're eating less, your body has less waste to move. :) If you still going fairly regularly, I wouldn't worry about it. And I DEFINITELY can record a loss after one of my bowel movements. Keep up the hard work! You're doing great.
  • aneary1980
    Options
    How do you go four times a day?! I am lucky to go once a day lol. But yes that could be the reason for your weight gain. Eat some more fiber :)

Generally 3/4 normally first thing in the morning, late afternoon and evening sometimes inbetween. The morning one has moved from 7am to 11am.

I'm having a stir fry with Chilli tonight so hopefully that will get things moving and hopefully back to the morning again.

I feel sluggish in the morning with out going before work.
  • stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    everyone's potty habits are different. my husband eats like 4000 calories a day because he's weight training and has a fast metabolism, and he has at least 2-3 bowel movements a day. he eats a considerable amount of fiber - fruits, veg - as well as some processed foods. all that stuff that his body can't use gets passed through his bowel movements. i try to eat more whole foods and don't eat as much fruit and veg, plus i'm eating at a deficit. so i go much less.

if you've just made a change in your diet or added any new supplements, it could have knocked your system a bit out of whack. i agree about adding a bit of extra fiber to see if you can 'get things moving' haha. sorry, we've all got a bit of 7 year old in us i suppose.
  • aneary1980
    Options
    everyone's potty habits are different. my husband eats like 4000 calories a day because he's weight training and has a fast metabolism, and he has at least 2-3 bowel movements a day. he eats a considerable amount of fiber - fruits, veg - as well as some processed foods. all that stuff that his body can't use gets passed through his bowel movements. i try to eat more whole foods and don't eat as much fruit and veg, plus i'm eating at a deficit. so i go much less.

if you've just made a change in your diet or added any new supplements, it could have knocked your system a bit out of whack. i agree about adding a bit of extra fiber to see if you can 'get things moving' haha. sorry, we've all got a bit of 7 year old in us i suppose.

I have just relised it isn't fiber it's water lack of it.

I always drink a pint over the course of bedtime and morning but I haven't been drinking much during the day. So I will try that and the chilli tonight also my stir fry will have brown rice so hopefully I will be sorted.

Although then I'll find that it isn't me being backed up or water weight it's just fat!
  • aneary1980
    Options
    The stir fry sort of worked 8:15am just need it to be about an hour earlier and everything will be perfect. :smile:
  • Veggie_mama
    Veggie_mama Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    TMI coming here...(if you are grossed out, please stop reading here...)
    I have had a massive deposit and when I weighed myself after, was down 2.5 pounds. So, absolutely, if you are having bowel issues, it can affect your weight.
    It's a double edged sword sometimes with water consumption. I drink a lot of water a day, so I'm usually pretty normal, but then I gain water weight from the 100+ oz of water I drink a day. lol
    Rather be water weight than the other...:ohwell:
  • aneary1980
    Options
    2.5lbs I was hoping more like 7lbs. :(
  • leadiax3
    leadiax3 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Yes.. mooooorrrreee waaaaater.. and stay active. I notice jogging and ab exercises get my plumbing accelerated. I love TMI.
  • stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    it's so hard to really know how much you weigh because there are so many factors - water weight, what's sitting in our stomach/bowels, if it's that time of the month, if capricorn is rising. it's kind of ridiculous. in the past i've only weighed myself like once a week but this time i've started by weighing every day. i feel like that way, even if i have an off day where the moon is full and a short haired dog crossed my path so i'm a pound up, i'll see a general downward trend.