Protein Bars!

Options
Okay, so the workers at my supermarket (Market Basket) are on strike and we are not shopping there to show our support. So the other market where we have been going does not sell Pure Protein bars, which is what we've been eating, so I bought a few random high protein bars to expand my horizons and OMG, there are some REALLY good ones!

Here are the ones I tried:

ThinkThin - Peanut Butter coated with chocolate. 20 grams of protein, 0 grams of sugar, 240 calories and so yummy! It was like eating a Reese's peanut butter cup if it were in bar form. My husband had the Chocolate Chunk and said that was equally delicious and candy bar-esque. I will definitely buy more....however they have more calories than Pure Protein by 50 calories.

Luna Protein - Chocolate Almond Coconut. OMG!!!! Can you say Almond Joy? That's what these taste like and the texture was similar, too. However, 180 calories, 12 grams sugar (boo), and only 12 grams of protein. Not bad, but not the biggest bang for you buck. But what a scrumptious sweet treat! I would not eat these daily, but maybe once a week.

The Zone Protein - Strawberry with Greek Yogurt Coating. This was just okay and inferior to the Pure Protein Strawberry Yogurt in flavor, texture and nutrition. This was 200 calories, 16 grams of sugar (what?!), 16 grams of protein. It also felt very light and airy, not substantial. I won't get these again.

I also bought a box of Quest Bars last month, Cookies and Cream flavor, and I know a lot of folks like them, but I don't know what all the fuss is about. The texture was gummy and grainy (think old chewing gum peeled off the sidewalk) and the flavor was cloyingly sweet with an alcohol finish. They also come "free form", which contributes to the feeling that they were scraped into the packaging. There is no coating on the bars, so they are more like the old school Power Bars, which I find unappetizing. At $2/bar I just wouldn't go out of my way to buy them again. But they do have 21 grams a protein at only 180 calories and 1 gram of sugar.

I would love to hear about the protein bars you like and why! Happy snacking!

Replies

• Evelynnn2014
    Options
    It was from you that I started eating Pure Protein bars which I just buy at Walmart. I like that they are so low in sugar (unusual) and high in protein plus very tasty. Otherwise I just like Fiber One mealbars, particularly the peanut butter chocolate ones. Very filling and satisfying.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i just got a box of Think Thin chocolate covered strawberry in the mail. It's pretty tasty but i was hoping for a crunchy bar.

I also got the Think Thin Brownie crunch bar. havent tried it yet but will tomorrow

I thought Quest cookies and cream was gross. But I did really like the Banana Nut . I'll order those again. I agree with OP about the texture. That's why I was trying to find a crunchier textured bar otherwise it just seems like i'm eating a harder version of proein sludge. gross.

And anything peanut butter is just gross IMO
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I can't get past the fact that you're showing support for a supermarket worker's strike...what?
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    We must have opposite tastes in protein bars because I really like the Zone Bar strawberry yogurt bars. My whole family thinks they're pretty good. The chocolate mint ones are a nice change of pace, too.

I do not like the Pure Protein bars (got a large variety pack at Costco and gave them away). My son didn't care for them either, sorry.

We do like the Powerbar Triple Threat Caramel Peanut Fushion...definitely one of our go-to's.

My favorite "energy" bars are the Clif Mojo bars (10g protein). The Mountain Mix and Peanut Pretzel are amazing. Though not a high-protein bar, they serve my needs when I'm on the go or after a workout.
  • 5pmsomewherenow
    5pmsomewherenow Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm also a Market Basket Lover -- and I'm missing my local market while the workers and management get things worked out. Where did you find the Think Thin bars? I haven't seen those and I like what you posted as the protein to sugar ratio.

I just picked up some Luna Protein bars today while shopping a bit this morning in Boston. I'm dreading this weekend's domestic duties without my local Market Basket stocked up and ready to roll. I feel like I have to run around to 3-4 places to get the fish, meat, produce and groceries I used to nicely and inexpensively get in one place.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Target carries PureProtein bars.
  • kerry981
    kerry981 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the Quest bars. They're lower in calories than a lot of protein bars and after trying a number of them, my favorite is the Double Chocolate Chunk. With only 160 calories, 20 grams of protein, and 16 grams of fiber, you can't really beat that. I've also found that the ones that are chunkier are easier to tolerate, texture wise. Plus, eating the Double Chocolate Chunk feels like a treat.

And I sound like they're paying me to say nice things. If only.
  • stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    i love the luna bars, chocolate dipped coconut and lemon zest are my favorites. i know they don't have as much protein as other bars, but i like that they use mainly organic ingredients and i can get them for less than $1 a bar.

i've never tried quest bars, now i might have to go searching and see if i can find a few singles at a local shop to try out ;) i like the looks of high protein. i struggle with getting enough protein daily, even with a protein shake at lunch (24g protein).
  • steveocy1
    steveocy1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My only rule with protein bars is they have to have a 10-to-1 calorie to protein ratio (or less). Anything beyond usually has way too much sugar for my liking. Currently I have a box of Life Choice double chocolate bars from wallyworld. They are 190 cals to 21 grams of protein. So they fit into my rule.

I only eat a protein bar when I am on the go and need something quick that I can eat on my way out of the door so taste really isn't a big deal for me. Convenience is the only reason I grab one in the first place since I usually have no problem hitting my protein macro on most days.