Too skinny? Tone up?

Options
Hi! I wasn't sure where to ask this so I just chose this section. Anyway, I'm a 22 year old female, 5'8 1/2 and 112. I also did my.measurements and they're 32 in bust, 22 in waist and 36 in hips. I hope I did that right! People are always telling me that I'm too skinny or that I look anorexic. It's very annoying. I'm fine with my body but I'd like to have a more toned body. What should I do? I'll be the first to admit that I'm pretty lazy and don't exercise. I do bike almost everyday and take walks but thats it. Thanks guys!

Replies

• sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Lift weights
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    5'8" and 112? Certainly don't lose any more.
  • KaraJ91
    KaraJ91 Posts: 3
    Options
    Ok
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    lift weights while SLIGHTLY increasing calories by maybe 150-200 Calories a day.

Try this for a month then re-*kitten* calorie needs and continue.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    Maybe find an exercise that you like?
    Also, like yourself the way you are. No one has the right to judge you or label you like that. When people make comments like that to me I usually end up feeling badly for them. It's not personal, it's about them.
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    Lift weights
    But she'll get too bulky like a man!!

lmfao
  • Maky20
    Maky20 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting or do bodyweight exercises.
    There are many varieties on that subject and you can find what suits you.
    And please eat more, every week increase your calorie intake for 100-200. Your BMI is around 16.7 and it means your underweight
    Just saying it's up to you..
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Yeah people say some mean stuff.
    Were the same height, at my skinniest I was 120 pounds and to be honest looking back at the photos I didnt look great. I have a medium sized frame so I did look underfed. We dont all carry weight the same way though.
    Really though, it's about health, are you healthy because that's what really matters.
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Lift weights

lmfao

When did the OP ever insinuate this?
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    At 112, you are definitely very slim. Forgetting what others say about you, are you happy with yourself? Do you like how your body looks and feels, do you have plenty of energy, no health problems? If you are happy and healthy, then you don't need to change.

But if you are not, then add calories and strength training.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Lift weights

lmfao

He's being 'funny'

He's that cute but annoying 18 year old brother that keeps giving you a dead arm and telling you you've got a fat *kitten*.

I quite like him though, because he's honest.
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Lift weights

lmfao

He's being 'funny'

He's that cute but annoying 18 year old brother that keeps giving you a dead arm and telling you you've got a fat *kitten*.

Eh. Okay.
  • Jamal_Guildford
    Jamal_Guildford Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Also, like yourself the way you are. No one has the right to judge you or label you like that. When people make comments like that to me I usually end up feeling badly for them. It's not personal, it's about them.

Her BMI is 16.7... Even if she is happy with her body, this is not really healthy. It can be harmful for her.... I think she needs to put on weight... this is my view.
  • becalala
    becalala Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Her BMI is 16.7... Even if she is happy with her body, this is not really healthy. It can be harmful for her.... I think she needs to put on weight... this is my view.

So because she has a low BMI, she can't be healthy? People can't naturally have a low bmi and be healthy?
  • W31RD0
    W31RD0 Posts: 173 Member
    Options

So because she has a low BMI, she can't be healthy? People can't naturally have a low bmi and be healthy?

A somewhat low BMI isn't a problem, some people are just thinner like that. But She could gain 10lbs and still be under normal weight. This is low BMI to the point she might suffer hormone problems.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

There is such a thing as TOO SKINNY.
  • sammer825
    sammer825 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    holy cow guys, most of you get off track and start to argue and it completely defeats the purpose of the post!

OP are you part of a gym? if so, most gyms offer one free personal training session; see if yours does. they will ask you your personal goals and show you exercises to tone up. If not, join one! or, look in your community for different classes. Boot camps are awesome. I would up your calories a little bit.

No, you will not get bulky like a man so dont ever think that.

Also, i like pinterest they have TONS of at home exercises you can do, DVDs are great also, Jillian Michaels has some that are only 20 minutes long.

I hope these things helped.
  • W31RD0
    W31RD0 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    holy cow guys, most of you get off track and start to argue and it completely defeats the purpose of the post!

I agree, and while people should be happy with their bodies, there are some in this thread who are advocating potentially dangerous behavior. I simply can't abide by that.
    OP are you part of a gym? if so, most gyms offer one free personal training session; see if yours does. they will ask you your personal goals and show you exercises to tone up. If not, join one! or, look in your community for different classes. Boot camps are awesome. I would up your calories a little bit.

This is good advice. Though I never had a chance to go to any gym classes. It's very important to have someone show you proper form, especially when working with free weights.
    No, you will not get bulky like a man so dont ever think that.

^^^^. There are guys here who struggle to attain the calories and workout hard enough to get 'bulky'. If you are female you have much less muscle building hormones. Furthermore, muscle building is a slow, iterative process. You simply are not going to do some curls and wake up muscle bound the next day. You will notice growth over time, but it will be slow and frankly most women could use some more muscle and stop looking to magazines to see what their muscles should look like.
    Also, i like pinterest they have TONS of at home exercises you can do, DVDs are great also, Jillian Michaels has some that are only 20 minutes long.

I like bodybuilding.com's exercise guides. Check out some articles, I am sure there is one that will fit OP's goals. Plus they have videos for each exercise to work on proper technique.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Lift weights

lmfao

He's being 'funny'

Eh. Okay.
    Haha this response killed me! :love:
  • jrodri0105
    jrodri0105 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    eat more and lift