51 year old male cant lose weight

Options
Hi,
I'm a 51 yr old male currently at 100kg wanting to get to 90.

I have a large frame but carry too much around my tummy and under my arms/back around the chest area.
Last year I got down to 95 but then stopped losing anymore and recently I have slowly gained.
I exercise mon-fri for 40/45 minutes always cardio either treadmill run, cycle, rower.
Diet is good my wife thinks I don't eat enough but I'm at a complete stalemate. I do have a weight bench but rarely do resistance work. I cant run outside due to compartment syndrome in both legs which have been operated on twice but I purchased a top of the range Nordic track treadmill which I love. Have a stationary bike and considering upgrading to a sprint bike.
Have tried HIIT but still no loss. I hate drinking water but am wondering if this could be a problem

Replies

• OllyJ_79
    OllyJ_79 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing and logging your food and drink?
  • nix1963
    nix1963 Posts: 3
    Options
    I was but lost interest but was recommended fitness pal so will start again
  • OllyJ_79
    OllyJ_79 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Once you starting weighing and logging the weight loss will resume, as long as you are at a calorie deficit; the exercise will help you to get fitter, and allow you to eat more food, whilst maintaining a healthy deficit value.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    You mention nothing about calories of food. Exercise is for fitness a calorie deficit is for weightloss

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexypants&page=1#posts-18361594
  • maplehouse200
    maplehouse200 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    'stopped losing'
    'rarely do resistance'
    'can't run outside'
    'considering upgrading'
    'tried HIIT'
    'hate drinking water'
    'lost interest'

You have too many excuses and don't want it enough.
    Glad to have helped.
  • otter090812
    otter090812 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    51 year old male can lose weight... just needs to understand how by mining the MFP resources (see link above). FIFY

From 38 year old female can lose weight (as it turned out). :smile:
  • Reprocess
    Reprocess Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Open up your diary for public or add me as a friend and i'll be happy to take a look at your logging and excercise to help you.
  • eplerd
    eplerd Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm 51 (and a half) and have lost 36 pounds since March or April!!

You CAN do it - it is just harder at our age!!
    You MUST log EVERY BITE and do it HONESTLY - Weigh your food for the most accuracy and no rounded measurements either!!

One thing that CAN cause issues for us older men is Low Testosterone levels - I was diagnosed with Low-T and put on AndroGel and now Fortesta (Andro was too pricey for insurance to cover )

However make sure to discuss the health risks of hormone replacement therapy - here in the US we have lots of class-action lawsuit attorney advertisements saying it can cause heart attacks, strokes, etc....

Anyway - get a physical, test for Low-T and USE MFP TO LOG EVERYTHING and it WILL work - my only times I have gained was when I either didn't log and/or overate (and didn't log because of it)

Dave
  • Bluuzplayer
    Bluuzplayer Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 49 and have lost over 30lbs since March so yes...you can. You must do what the last post stated...log everything, work out, etc.

Get a heart rate monitor, log your food, start (carefully) with weight training. Age is never an excuse, you just need to adjust the HOW you do it. Science is science, it will work eventually.

Best of luck.
  • Eoghann
    Eoghann Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    While there are a number of possible explanations for "Can't lose weight" the most likely ones are:

You are consuming more calories than you think
    You are burning less calories than you think.
  • nix1963
    nix1963 Posts: 3
    Options
    'stopped losing'
    'rarely do resistance'
    'can't run outside'
    'considering upgrading'
    'tried HIIT'
    'hate drinking water'
    'lost interest'

You have too many excuses and don't want it enough.
    Glad to have helped.

There's always one that really MOTIVATES you thanks.

Glad to have ignored you
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,051 Member
    Options
    At any rate, you can certainly lose weight despite most of these issues - ie you do not have to run or do resistance training or drink water to lose weight.
    As long as you eat less than you burn.

Have a medical check up first to make sure there are no underlying issues - and then log meticulously to make sure you are in a calorie deficit.
    You can do this. :smile:
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Not drinking water is not your problem. You can lose weight never drinking water. Or exercising. Calories is what matters. Your wife thinking you don't eat enough is no way to gauge your intake level. If you're not losing and want to, you have to eat less, move more or both. It really is that simple. Good luck!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    You're eating too much.

I'm 50 and have lost 49 pounds since 4/28.