when do you work out?

Options
I am currently doing it first thing in the morning because I want to stay on track and not make excuses, but in the past I've had the best luck with working out at around 4pm. Only because that is when my appetite really revs up and a super intense cardio workout gives me something else to do and also kills my appetite until about 8 pm...

I wish I could trust myself to do it at that time, but I also have five children, all under age 9 and I just don't see them "letting" me do it at that time.

Replies

• MelHoneyRocks
    Options
    I do better in the evenings, but I dont have small children depending on me. The AM may be your best bet, no distractions and a little ME time is always important.
  • TattooedMommy427
    TattooedMommy427 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning before work. I get up between 4:30-4:45. I have a semi strenous job so I'm too tired to work out after work.
  • Jartexas
    Jartexas Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Morning was always best for me, but with my step kids having to get to the bus by 6:45 it kills that, now I doing it right after I get home from work.
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    I run every morning right after a hot tea caffeine kick. Fasted cardio is the only way I lose weight. Running in the afternoon just ends up being maintenance.
  • chellis76
    chellis76 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I work out at 4 am because i can't do it any other time because my life it too busy with working fulltime and having a family! It gives me energy for the day and I feel great!!
  • tiffsNEWlife
    Options
    I've been doing in first thing in the morning. This way I think, "I don't want to undo everything I just did". Keeps me more motivated to eat right
  • Junerenee
    Junerenee Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    i like the part about killing the afternoon munchies with a workout. maybe you can get your kiddos involved in the workout: i think doing what kids do would be an amazing workout, how about going to the park and following them around with all their climbing, squatting, jumping etc. could be amazing.
  • hlokty07
    Options
    I always try to do my workouts first thing in the morning. It makes me feel great and accomplished for the rest of the day. Plus, I feel like I always procrastinate or make up excuses if I wait until the evening! Similar to my situation right now, the biggest loser is coming on, but I haven't had my workout yet and am really trying to find the motivation to get off my butt and do it!
  • bergswoman
    Options
    I'm glad you asked this.... I have a daughter that is 17mo old and I have the same problem. My hubby goes to school in the pm so that doesn't work. Morning does seem to be the best for me but I just can't manage to drag myself out of bed any earlier then I have to for work and that is even a challage! Good luck all. I just need some good motivation
  • teach1975
    Options
    Most in the morning-about 5am-6am. I may walk a mile or so after ork. Too tired after work usually!!
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    During the week I work out in the mornings and sometimes do an active Wii game at night. Weekends are different, Saturday I try for the morning and Sunday the gym opens at noon so I go in the afternoon.

I prefer mornings because at the end of the day I just want to go and be home.
  • mommy23skllm
    Options
    I work out twice a day. I'm a SAHM to 2 small children, so I have to work around their sleep schedule. I work out for a half hour to an hour in the morning during the baby takes a nap. Then I work out for an hour after dinner when the baby goes to bed and my husband plays with my daughter.
  • munderscoreh
    Options
    Studies have shown that you burn the most fat during cardio workouts when you do them first thing in the morning BEFORE breakfast. You should also wait about 45 minutes to an hour after your cardio to eat your breakfast because your metabolic rate is increased for a longer period of time. (Basically, you still burn fat while sitting around)
  • ckehoe89
    ckehoe89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I also work out in the mornings. This is partially because I work out better than, which seems weird because I feel like a zombie. But also it is because of my school's gym schedule. It is open 6 am to 8 am, weird time in the afternoons that I can never make because of classes, and then 4-10 or 11. The gym is ALWAYS packed at 4pm, and for the most part until it closes. If I go in the morning there are not as many people.

It also feels nice to have it out of the way, and then you can budget your calories the rest of the day. After classes I usually have work to do and the gym is the last place I want to be
  • Michellels
    Options
    I, too,workout in the early morning. It is the least likely time for distractions. Every once-in-awhile, though, I will have an agreement for him to facilitate my working out in the evening. Most people have more effective workouts in the late afternoon. However, I believe that research indicate that people who exercise first thing in the morning tend to be more consistent.
    http://www.acefitness.org/fitfacts/fitfacts_display.aspx?itemid=53
    http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/whats-the-best-time-to-exercise
  • rainbobrite929
    Options
    They just had a report about this on Nightly News that stated if you work out in the morning and then EAT breakfast you will lose more weight that if you work out later in the day or after dinner. It apparently jump starts your metabolism.
  • Dom82
    Dom82 Posts: 235
    Options
    I get up at 5am 4 to 5 days a week to work before work and then I work out again after work for an hour 5 days a week.

I find the morning work outs give me a jump start to the day and I can get so much more done in the mornings as well :)
  • Skye76
    Skye76 Posts: 28
    Options
    Fasted cardio is the only way I lose weight.
    Studies have shown that you burn the most fat during cardio workouts when you do them first thing in the morning BEFORE breakfast.

Unfortunately, fasted cardio (except at very low intensities) is a myth. It makes little difference whether you do your cardio when you're fasting or not, and more difference if you do your cardio at your thermic peak (which varies from individual to individual).

Link: http://www.alanaragon.com/myths-under-the-microscope-part-2-false-hopes-for-fasted-cardio.html
  • treekins
    treekins Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I find working out between finishing work and getting the kids gives me a big boost of energy...perfect for getting supper made and helping with homework! And somehow my appetite is for VEGGIES (I focus protein on breakfast and lunch, so this is great for me).
  • achbarrow
    achbarrow Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    For me it depends on the day. I like working out after work, on weekdays I don't get off until 11pm thought I'm I'm working out from like 11:30/45 until 1 am. I like working out in the evenings so on days when I'm not working I tend to go around 6 or 7.