keeping breast reduction a secret

Options
I am hoping to have a breast reduction soon (waiting for insurance to approve). I would rather not tell work why I need a week off. Any suggestions?

Replies

• MobiusMan
    MobiusMan Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    HIPA laws prevent them from asking and you have no obligation to tell. I'm having a medical procedure authorized by insurance ...enough said. it's no one's business.
  • usmcpatience
    Options
    HIPA laws prevent them from asking and you have no obligation to tell. I'm having a medical procedure authorized by insurance ...enough said. it's no one's business.
  • MobiusMan
    Options
    if anyone asks what for say it's personal and you would rather not discuss it. they are required to stop asking. friends will be curious but understand your decision to keep your health decisions private.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I'm having a procedure done and they recommend that I take a week to recover. Don't worry it's nothing serious. :)
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Not sure on the rules . . . But really? Less boobs? LOL
  • gsusdva
    gsusdva Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    That was quick! Thanks for the advice. I figure people might notice but hoping to camoflauge for a while so it isn't too obvious.
  • gsusdva
    Options
    That's what my husband said....LOL....looking forward to jogging with only one bra on :)
  • jenX1174
    jenX1174 Posts: 154
    Options
    I agree!

Just make sure you are taking a FMLA for it, if you qualify. The reason, is if you should have complications, or recovery takes longer, you will be legally allowed to have the time off and won't lose your job for missing too much work. FMLA allows up to 12 weeks of paid leave, per year (as long as you have worked a certain number of hours) for you and a family member.

Good luck with your surgery!
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Seriously . . Id lose the weight you want first then worry with the surgery. They go away fast.
  • MobiusMan
    Options
    Careful, some of us (guys) like little ones.
  • klthomas59
    klthomas59 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just tell them you are having some female problems you need to get taken care of. That usually stops them from asking anything further because they assume it has something to do with your period and that don't want any further info and it is true.
  • rainastar
    Options
    That's what my husband said....LOL....looking forward to jogging with only one bra on :)

I can relate! I wear TWO sports bras!

Good luck with the surgery!
  • MrsWendyQ
    MrsWendyQ Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I've considered having that surgery myself. They're misery on my already ailing back. But, I've decided to wait it out and see if losing the weight I've been wanting to shed first will "naturally" reduce them. Good luck! I've heard great things from friends who have had it done!
  • jparson714
    jparson714 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I told my administrator that I had to have a test run so I needed to be late one morning. She inquired to what test needed to be run... I'm an educator and she misinterpreted the word test. I only needed a mammogram so it didn't bother me to tell her, but she apologized for days about asking what test. I told her it was fine and she said that she was worried because she isn't allowed to ask that question. It is definitely against the law to ask it; plus it's no ones business!
  • gsusdva
    Options
    I was also waiting until I reached a healthy BMI....I got within 7lbs about 2 years ago and was still a 34FF so my friend (who also had a BR) talked me into calling the surgeon. After stopping my antidepressant med I've put on 20lbs but it is all in my stomach . I am committed to reaching a healthy BMI but think the boobs will not get much better without some help.

Thanks for your comments :)
  • MobiusMan
    Options
    I was also waiting until I reached a healthy BMI....I got within 7lbs about 2 years ago and was still a 34FF so my friend (who also had a BR) talked me into calling the surgeon. After stopping my antidepressant med I've put on 20lbs but it is all in my stomach . I am committed to reaching a healthy BMI but think the boobs will not get much better without some help.

Thanks for your comments :)
    Not to mention you will be more prone to exercise if you are less self conscious and in less discomfort. So it may well enhance your efforts.
  • emmerrs
    emmerrs Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine recently got breast implants, and she chose to have her surgery over her Christmas holidays. If you get vacation time sometime soon, you could book it around that time and not have to explain at all?
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options

Until you've suffered with breasts so big your shoulders/neck constantly ache, don't laugh. You can't run/exercise properly, you can't fit into "normal" sized shirts, much of the male attention you get is because of your chest, and you have to wear two (or in my case, three) bras. Seriously, it's not ok to laugh or ridicule something like this!

Original poster: I had to take a week off from university and work when I had my reduction done. I told them I was having surgery, and that was sufficient. To those who continued to prod, I just said it was "a long story", or to those I trusted, I said "chest surgery" (implying it could be heart, ribs, lungs, etc). Good luck!! It can change your life! :flowerforyou:
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I agree!

Just make sure you are taking a FMLA for it, if you qualify. The reason, is if you should have complications, or recovery takes longer, you will be legally allowed to have the time off and won't lose your job for missing too much work. FMLA allows up to 12 weeks of paid leave, per year (as long as you have worked a certain number of hours) for you and a family member.

Good luck with your surgery!

Excellent advice... BUT in order to get FMLA you do have to give information about why you need it.
    I would opt for the second persons advice, you are having a medical procedure and need time off.
    Actually if you take vacation... why do you have to tell them anything at all?
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Oh and BTW, I had my breast reduction in 2004 and it was the BEST decision even. They removed 8 pounds of breast and I am still a C cup ... good luck!