GYROS Healthy or unhealthy!?!?!?

Options
BEERRUNNER
BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
So last night we took a break from grilling and decided to make gyros at home. we bought the gyro meat and pita etc...
It seems like a pretty solid meal!
I cut up some onion, tomato, cuccumber and ..........an avocado(I love these things) to throw on it.

So gooood!:bigsmile:

What do you think?

Replies

• wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I would think this has a ton of sodium in it. So as long as that doesn't affect your water retention, I'd be ok with it on the rare occasion. As an FYI, I was told that Gyro meat that we see in the states isn't allowed in Greece as it is "mystery" meat similar to the hot dog. :)

And I love those too but can't have any because of my caloric restrictions. :(
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Yummy! I just don't usually eat them out since the pitas they come in are often very greasy.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It sounds delicious. What kind of meat did you get?
  • andrewptr1
    andrewptr1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Aside from them being my late night drinking meal of choice i could eat them everyday....I like to THINK they are healthy but have a feeling that i am wrong...(the fries and vanilla malt with it aside of course)
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I see nothing wrong with it if you can fit it into your calories for the day.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals, for me (IIFYM) that sounds super delicious and something I might have to try.

There are plenty of worse things out there and making it yourself you have more control of what goes into it. That's a win in my book.
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I LOVE gyros and probably ate 1,000 in college. It is tough to find a place that makes them good.

Every October I go up to my college town for work and I get one of the great gyros at this bar and grille. They load on the meat, greasy pita and I get some cris-cut fries with cheese.

Even though I am on "my journey" and eating better, I might have to indulge again this October and seriously restrict calories the rest of the week. Maybe I will have met my goal by then and this will be my reward!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Carb, protein, fat... looks pretty balanced to me. ;)
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Really not too bad.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I don't think they are too bad. I eat them about once a month, there's a great place across from a nearby university that also makes falafel and stuffed grape leaves. Nom nom nom.

Never really seems to affect me as far as sodium/water retention, either.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    It sounds delicious. What kind of meat did you get?

The meat I think is a mixture of beef and lamb!?
  • cstringfellow2013
    cstringfellow2013 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Lamb gyros with extra tzatziki sauce and a side of dolmades (stuffed grape leaves) is my order every time. NOMNOMNOM!