Lifting and cardio

Options
OK....I need some real help here......for the past 3 months, i've been doing 30-40minutes of weights followed by 30-45 of cardio. Usually jogging a 5K or HIIT running at 8-9 mph for 30 sec / 30 sec rest. Last night, one of the trainers i was talking to, said that too much cardio will negate my lifting efforts, is this true?? If I want to get stronger, should I cut back on my cardio?? ( Still trying to lose the fat BTW )

I'm thinking that this trainer is full of crap......

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    doing lots of cardio just adds some stress hormones. There is some science to not doing too much while having the goal of increasing strength.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Recovery is a finite quality.

Increasing calorie intake can increase recovery. Decreasing the amount of non-essential (i.e. not contributing to your goals) training can increase recovery.

Cut calories, add in a tonne of extra training, where is the recovery and optimal adaptation going to come from?

That's not to say that cardio is detrimental to strength gains, you've just got a find a way that they can co-exist in a sensible programme that is tailored to your lifting level and cv fitness which allows you optimal recovery and therefore strnegth adaptations.
  • jason_adams
    jason_adams Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Elite Sprinters run and do "cardio". Doesn't seem to stop them from having muscles, so I'm not following the logic.

If you're enjoying your runs and it's not limiting your ability to lift, then by all means keep doing it. Seems to me you've got everything set from a training perspective. Make sure your nutrition and recovery (sleeping!) are up to par and you're good to go for gains!
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    Elite Sprinters run and do "cardio".

light bulb...
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    My question would be more about maximization.

If you're lifting hard enough, cardio afterward would not be maximized. Hell, even the day after a heavy lifting session (my statement is predicated on intensity) your cardio efforts will probably be submaximal until in a conditioned and trained state.

I'll give you some advice though, don't swim the day of or after a hard arms session. It doesn't work well.
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I would suggest this video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aAQaGQ1oyE
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals, are you trying to bulk or lose weight?

If your bulking, excess cardio can be counter productive. Remember to gain muscle mass efficiently you need to be eating at a calorie surplus, so if you are doing insane amounts of cardio you will need to eat more. Eating might start to not become as fun for you.

If your working to lose weight, then by all means I see nothing counter productive about doing 40 minutes of heavy weights then 40 mintues of cardio. The goal of lifting weights should be to mitigate muscle loss while eating at a calorie deficit. You won't burn many calories lifting heavy weights due to rest time inbetween sets, but the benefit is there. Cardio is not required to lose weight, but it will help you to eat more of your favorite foods without as much restrictions.

I lift weights to mitigate muscle mass, I do cardio to drink beer and have ice cream.

What are your goals?

*edited for word choice, messed up on surplus vs deficit*
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    My question would be more about maximization.

If you're lifting hard enough, cardio afterward would not be maximized. Hell, even the day after a heavy lifting session (my statement is predicated on intensity) your cardio efforts will probably be submaximal until in a conditioned and trained state.

I'll give you some advice though, don't swim the day of or after a hard arms session. It doesn't work well.

this post+++ Make sure you are giving yourself and your muscles a chance to recover. On the days I do heavy weights I typically don't do as much cardio if even at all. I'm trying to lose weight so I do my best to squeeze in cardio but I can lose weight on my food choices as well.
  • jasati
    jasati Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Lifting is a good cardio exercise, recovery time is important, separate the days on which you do cardio from weights, work more intensely for shorter periods when lifting, vary the cardio when running - terrain, speed, hills for enjoyment, eat quality food, be patient with yourself, regular training is part of a lifestyle choice not a diet, exercise needs to be 'refreshed' every few weeks to keep challenging the body. See it as a marathon not a sprint......! hope there is sense somewhere in this offering otherwise just discount. Kind regards.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    .... if you are doing insane amounts of cardio you will need to eat more.

I wouldn't describe a fairly slow 5K as insane, more like a warm up...