Decent shorts for lifting

Options
dbmata
dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
Any recs? I've been looking for some better shorts to lift in, the ones I have current have taken a little shredding from the bar, and they bind on my knee something fierce during squats.

I went and picked up some lululemon shorts yesterday, but curious if there are any other recs of brands or types to check out.

Second question: Compression shorts, anyone wear them for leg day? Any practical benefits found beyond properly holding junk in place to avoid the deadlift ball tap.

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Football (or soccer depending on your location) shorts are quite good - nice and loose and lightweight material.

ETA: I've no advice to offer on the ball tap situation :laugh:
  • dbmata
    Options
    It's not pleasant, tell you what. ;)
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I usually wear some loose fitting under armour shorts and never have any problems.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Adidas makes some shorts that work, and some that don't. I don't know wtf they call their different shorts. The ones that work are a slippery material that doesn't adhere with sweat.

I don't know how men do deadlift without compression shorts. Maybe really long arms?
  • dbmata
    Options
    Adidas makes some shorts that work, and some that don't. I don't know wtf they call their different shorts. The ones that work are a slippery material that doesn't adhere with sweat.

I don't know how men do deadlift without compression shorts. Maybe really long arms?

You can try to tuck back.

Duct tape too, but that runs hell on the hair.

I'm a bit ignorant of the current crop of compression wear. Who makes good stuff, who makes the best stuff, and who makes stuff that I should avoid unless I run out of duct tape?
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options

Sounds like you're a good bencher.
  • n3ver3nder
    n3ver3nder Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Boxer briefs or briefs for me, sort the worst of the ball tap. On snatch grip deadlifts it's not so good though.

For shorts I have some Hylete 2.0's, they're pricey though so I wouldn't bother unless you've the disposable income or get them cheap like I did. The 'specifically with lifting in mind' side pockets are great though, and they stretch well for squats and the like. Anything designed with lifting, crossfit, MMA etc in mind should work well.
  • dbmata
    Options

Explain.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    I wear pants
  • dbmata
    Options
    For shorts I have some Hylete 2.0's, they're pricey though so I wouldn't bother unless you've the disposable income or get them cheap like I did. The 'specifically with lifting in mind' side pockets are great though, and they stretch well for squats and the like. Anything designed with lifting, crossfit, MMA etc in mind should work well.

Checking those hyletes, thanks. The stretching sounds perfect.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I wear pants

Winter, definitely.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options

Explain.

I would guess he means short arms.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Yes. Short arms, or you're cisco addler. Don't Google you'll be scarred permanently.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I either wear running shorts (UA), basketball shorts (Nike), or knee length compression shorts (UA or Lulu).
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I have reebok ones I think I got a "the sporting goods store that shall not be named because it's also phallic in nature"
    for like 12 bucks I Think- they are on par with UA ones- and 1/2 the price- I would check their stuff- they have decent sales on stuff- and if you aren't wearing them out- it doesn't matter if it's an odd color either.

I only lift in fitted gear- lose gear is just WAY to uncomfortable and weird for movement to me. how you guys do it regularly I have no idea.

Edit- I don't know if target sells the premimum/silver (it's their "upper end) quality for men like they do women- but i have 2 pairs of the premium pair of pants- and holy balls- I've had them for at LEAST 4 years of constant abuse- and they look a little worn- but no leg pilling- no tearing- no popped seams- they wear like iron- new treat for myself this fall might be a new pair in mediums ;)

They are afantastic.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I just wear normal basketball shorts and UA compression shorts under
  • oinkerjnn
    oinkerjnn Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I like Adidas ultra light shorts for lifting. That's not what they're really called, they're just the lightest Shorts they have. Boxer briefs work well for me underneath.

They are loose and relatively short. I hate shorts catching around my knees on squats and other leg stuff.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I just wear normal basketball shorts and UA compression shorts under

I've been doing the basketball shorts, they just piss me off now.

Fittreelol - 71" reach, as for the other aspect, I cannot comment.

JoRocka - I'll check it out, imagine the constant binding on the knee with those lunges. hah. it's frustrating as all get out.

Buddy of mine suggested a PL singlet from Inzer. Heh, no.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    dude - seriously- people lift in the same sweats I lounge at home- the heavy cargo ones from models?

I have NO idea how they do it- burpees- jump rope- lunges- anything that requires some knee bend- to much catching- and weird ness- my butt's eating it or it's catching on thighs- it's just a big fat NO WAY.

Fitted gear is wear it's at- seriously- people rag on women for wearing fitted clothes- but it's kind of awesome- and they have stuff that isn't super fitted that's vacuum sealed-so you should be able to find some fitted gear and maybe loose shorter shorts over? so no binding/catching.