Can you maintain your weight by not tracking food

Options

Replies

• Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I don't log, I used to and will never go back. You should be able to have enough self control to eat freely without having to write down every little thing you eat every single day, that just unnatural. I know a lot of people on here log and that's fine I just don't see how you guys manage to do this or why it's needed 24/7. Really sorry if I offended any trackers by this
    Remember that in 20years when you've had a couple kids and a few life experiences. At 19 life is good.

I'm almost 40 and I don't track and maintain just fine.

I'm actually a little bit surprised that so many people think the act of logging is the actual "lifestyle"...missing the boat IMHO. It's a great way to get on track and learn how to eat right but it's basically like training wheels...someday you should be able to take them off and just ride your bike.

I agree with this.

I haven't checked this thread in a while so there's a possibility that I'm reposting something I said earlier in the thread, but I think a major consideration is whether or not the act of tracking has a negative impact on the quality of life of the user and if so, how much of an impact and what's the trade-off?

I can see tracking being preferred and perhaps even enjoyable for certain people without causing any issues and in this example they can probably track long term and be perfectly fine with it.

But I don't think that's the norm, and if tracking does cause problems then it shouldn't be the long-term strategy or goal.

You nailed Sidesteel!

When logging becomes an obsession or a burden is probably time to stop doing it and say goodbye to MFP. That is what I am doing at the end of next week.
  • hollytaggart9
    hollytaggart9 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can. But I will say this...you truly can not out-exercise a bad diet. I sure as hell tried. I started logging because it really does keep me aware of some of the things I love to eat and the actual huge amount of calories in them...I really now have to think twice before getting a huge cheeseburger.... My BMI is normal though, so I am only trying now to trim about 5 more pounds off to help with my running goals.
  • KatMicNYC
    KatMicNYC Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I like that idea, can't someone just make a grocery store like that!
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    I don't log, I used to and will never go back. You should be able to have enough self control to eat freely without having to write down every little thing you eat every single day, that just unnatural. I know a lot of people on here log and that's fine I just don't see how you guys manage to do this or why it's needed 24/7. Really sorry if I offended any trackers by this
    Remember that in 20years when you've had a couple kids and a few life experiences. At 19 life is good.

I'm almost 40 and I don't track and maintain just fine.

I'm actually a little bit surprised that so many people think the act of logging is the actual "lifestyle"...missing the boat IMHO. It's a great way to get on track and learn how to eat right but it's basically like training wheels...someday you should be able to take them off and just ride your bike.

I agree with this.

I haven't checked this thread in a while so there's a possibility that I'm reposting something I said earlier in the thread, but I think a major consideration is whether or not the act of tracking has a negative impact on the quality of life of the user and if so, how much of an impact and what's the trade-off?

I can see tracking being preferred and perhaps even enjoyable for certain people without causing any issues and in this example they can probably track long term and be perfectly fine with it.

But I don't think that's the norm, and if tracking does cause problems then it shouldn't be the long-term strategy or goal.

You nailed Sidesteel!

When logging becomes an obsession or a burden is probably time to stop doing it and say goodbye to MFP. That is what I am doing at the end of next week.

Thank you, I'm glad someone said it. My ultimate goal is not to have to track. BUT, I'll still monitor my weight/size. Maybe just once a week...it will be a trial and error process. I can become obsessive about it...some people may be able to find a better balance than I do. I actually feel like I'm addicted to dieting at this point....if you know what I mean? The high of watching the scale go down every week, and of fitting into a smaller size...I will have to replace that with something else when I enter maintenance...which will be a while from now, admittedly. But I now have NO doubt in my mind that I will reach it.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    My ultimate goal is to not have to track, too. I plan on slowly easing out of it eventually.

I have, while maintaining, stopped logging every now and then. During these weeks (or once, a month) I find that I maintain just fine.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I'm glad someone said it. My ultimate goal is not to have to track. BUT, I'll still monitor my weight/size. Maybe just once a week...it will be a trial and error process. I can become obsessive about it...some people may be able to find a better balance than I do. I actually feel like I'm addicted to dieting at this point....if you know what I mean? The high of watching the scale go down every week, and of fitting into a smaller size...I will have to replace that with something else when I enter maintenance...which will be a while from now, admittedly. But I now have NO doubt in my mind that I will reach it.

I can very much understand all your points, especially the kick from weighing and seeing the number go down. Personally speaking I shall definitely need new goals omce I reach my target weight, as it seems better in most aspects of life if I have something to strive for. I think weight & fitness-wise, I see myself giving myself fitness goals to focus on, ie greater strength, greater flexibility, optimal nutrition, run 5k/ 10k/ marathon/ etc. Its definitely good to move on and move forward, as well as of course making sure you have the tools to manage your weight should you need to decrease it or increase it :)
  • hl05
    hl05 Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm back to tracking since the past few months I decided not to, and put on a few pounds. Also, not tracking has led me to consume more calories than necessary, eat unhealthier, and slack off on exercising. I feel like using a tracker really helps keep me in check. If you're able to keep all your good habits from tracking, you can definitely do it! I'm just a lazy person and need a tracker.
  • mitchiejo
    mitchiejo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I know I have to track my food. I was working out most days of the week and gained 15 pounds before I joined MFP. That was when I learned I couldn't eat whatever I wanted even though I exercised.
  • mandi_spicer
    mandi_spicer Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I did it for about six months and was able to maintain until the fifth or sixth month. I gained about 5 lbs because I started eating/ordering out more (whoops!). I'm back on MFP, lost the 5 lbs I gained and have 5 lbs more to lose until I hit goal weight!! When I hit my goal weight, I will still continue to use my food diary for at least a few months to track my nutrition and maintenance calories.

The ultimate goal is to make healthy choices and hold myself accountable without having to track calories and nutrition. :)
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I quite logging then quite paying attention and I can eat this or that I run 8 miles a day then it got really cold and wintery out and I did not run 8 miles a day anymore and still ate the same (got into the habit). Well im back in the habit only after about 20lbs. So me no I cannot maybe not necessarly LOG but if I quite paying attention to my food intake for the day then yes I will gain.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Sure you can, but the question you need to ask yourself is why couldn't you do that before?

There's a quote from the walking dead that I really liked about watches and time.

Dale Horvath: I like what, uh, a father said to son when he give him a watch that had been handed down through generations. He said "I give you the mausoleum of all hope and desire, which will fit your individual needs no better than it did mine or my father's before me, I give it to you not that you may remember time, but that you may forget it for a moment now and then and not spend all of your breath trying to conquer it."

I think if you replaced the word watch with Calorie counting app and replace time with calories it would fit.
  • ladyblue100
    ladyblue100 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I never thought I would be the type of person to record the foods I ate but I feel more accountable when I do record what I eat. This site makes it beyond easy to record everything. If I had to go with out I would probably do just fine. What it really comes down to is how healthy you are and what foods you prefer to have every day.
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I have not yet developed the ability to be honest with myself about my calorie intake without writing everything down.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    When I don't log, what happens is that healthy habit of eating the right amount slowly becomes undone. Hence, I can survive a few weeks without logging, but give it a few months and the weight comes back. If logging is not a lifetime habit you can stick with, maybe it's time to switch now to whatever system you're going to use, so you can get practice with it. Stopping at your goal tends to lead to the typical dieter yo-yo pattern.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Counting calories is not something that you need to do for your lifetime. My sister said .. "It is for dieters". I tend to agree.

It just gets obsessive.

But for people that have food control issues .. it may be a necessary option.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Ultimately it comes down to what your goals are. If you are happy with your weight and what you see in the mirror then I would just watch the weight and calorie count as you need to. If it ain't broke don't fix it am I right?

My goal isn't just weight loss personally, I want to lose the weight then work to gain muscle mass. I want to be lean and I want to like how I look in the mirror, for me just losing the weight isn't the end. I plan to calorie count for life, once I reach my goal weight I"ll be bulking and cutting and there is no end to that for me.
  • kathie2409
    Options
    I have recently gained half a stone despite exercising. I joined MFP this week for the first time and have already made changes to my diet by day four. I hadn't realised how many calories, sugar, salt and fat content there are in what I thought were healthy foods. I also hadn't realised how many bits of snacking had been going on! Now I feel in control, can allow myself a treat but can see where I need to manage other areas of eating to maintain a balance. Keeping a diary ( it has to be honest) has given me my motivation back and goals to achieve. Its not just about tracking weight it is understanding what you are putting into your body and what is healthy.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Counting calories is not something that you need to do for your lifetime. My sister said .. "It is for dieters". I tend to agree. It just gets obsessive.
    Experts these days--including the American Medical Association--tend to advocate lifestyle change over temporary diets for long-term success. E.g., practice now what you plan to do long-term. If you see calorie counting only as a "for a few months" tool, you may be better off with another you can stick to.

(It could also be useful as one-week splash in your face, of course!)

I don't believe setting aside 10-15 minutes before bed logging my foods is obsessive. I agree there are alternatives out there, some even with similar success--such as weight watchers.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Sure you can, but the question you need to ask yourself is why couldn't you do that before?

There's a quote from the walking dead that I really liked about watches and time.

Dale Horvath: I like what, uh, a father said to son when he give him a watch that had been handed down through generations. He said "I give you the mausoleum of all hope and desire, which will fit your individual needs no better than it did mine or my father's before me, I give it to you not that you may remember time, but that you may forget it for a moment now and then and not spend all of your breath trying to conquer it."

I think if you replaced the word watch with Calorie counting app and replace time with calories it would fit.
    For me, the answer to this was: I didn't know enough then.
  • truemusclefitness
    Options
    The fact is we must watch and be aware of what we are doing , from eating , sleeping and working out. Its always a good ideal to have things in order because if not thats what bring confusion and mismanagement of our lives. Even though logging and having a calender can be very annoying at times it serve its purpose . Honestly to much working out can slow your weight lose because you are not giving your body enough rest and definitely bad snacks are a no-no , even though I tell everyone they should treat them selfs from time to time try your best not to OD on it . But I would say log everything this way you are in control of things.