bulging disc

Options
Does anyone else have a bad back? The Doc thinks I might have a bulging disc in my lower back, going for a CT scan. Any thoughts on exercises that will help?

Replies

• sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I have a bad back. 1 ruptured disc and 1 bulging disc. Believe it ir not, after you take anti inflammatory meds for a while, the swelling does go down and there is actually some pain reflief without surgery. It is UNBELIEVABLE how bad back pain can be! :sad:
    I would stay away from any back excercises until the CT scan so that the doctor can assess how severe your injury is and let you know how to treat it. Hope you get good news and some releif soon. :flowerforyou:
  • sassykj
    sassykj Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Pilates has done WONDERS for my lower back!! I have an extreme curvature to my low back, so I started a Pilates regemine and I feel much better!! It strengthens and tones at the same time!
  • shirley_1984
    Options
    I was diagnosed with a bulging disc back in August of 2010.... I have been working on strength for my lower back since my accident in 2009 (January) when it happened, I was unable to have any tests then because I was pregnant...
    A great lower back strengthening exercise is the plank.... I know it is dreadful but it strengthens your core and lower back as well...
    Good Luck with your tests...
  • Cbaker5156
    Cbaker5156 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have a bad back as well. I have a Bulging disk in my neck C7-T1, and a Lower back nerve root (L5) injury.. Basically both ends messed up... I agree with the previous post, anti inflammatory and time. My back can hurt so bad one day and feel somewhat better another day.. Im just taking it one day at a time. But definately non impact exercise like walking, or recumbent bike..

Good Luck I hope you feel better soon...
  • kay43026
    Options
    YES! I spent from Thanksgiving until almost Christmas getting my back feeling better.

My bottom 2 discs are bulging. I've got a curvature of the spine (30%) from the waist down. However, it was probably due to an injury (I'm not aware of) when I was quite young since my hips/pelvis are aligned like they should be.

I went to a chiropractor, who did initial xrays. He then sent me for an MRI to determine the severity of it. When he saw the MRI he was quite happy. From the initial xrays, he thought he'd be sending me to an orthopedic surgeon!

My chiropractor has done a WONDERFUL job of stretching/adjustments. At first I was going 3 times a week, then twice, now I'm just going as needed. Haven't been there since right before Christmas.

I do stretching exercises at home almost every day...which REALLY helps. Also, for me, he said not to do any Yoga type exercises where I'm stretching backwards. Between the walking and stretching, I'm feeling pretty good. But boy, did I have a rough 4-5 weeks!!!

Good Luck and please keep us posted on how you're doing.
  • happy1964
    Options
    Thanks for the support and ideas. Just waiting for the appointment and wanted to do whatever I can to stay on my weight loss journey.
  • kthom
    kthom Posts: 175
    Options
    Strengthen your back and core with exercise and try acupuncture for the pain. Anti-inflammatories will help with the pain too but careful, the are very hard on your stomach and can cause their own set of problems. Does anyone in Golden do acupuncture? We are probably coming out at Family Day, I could help you then but that is a long wait.
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    definitely strengthen the core ---- Swimming for cardio!!!!!!!
  • wendyfaye83
    Options
    I HAD A HERNIATED DISIC L5S7. THE ONLY THING I COULD DO WAS SWIM........ EVENTUALLY I HAD TO HAVE SURGERY TO CORRECT IT. THE DOCTOR SAID I NEEDED TO STRENGTHEN MY CORE, AND GET THE BELLY FAT OFF.
  • bromk
    bromk Posts: 34
    Options
    My doctor recommended exercising in water...stretching and walking. It takes the pressure off your back and the movement against the resistance of the water is a great calorie burn.
  • happy1964
    Options
    not sure if there is anyone doing acupuncture here now. It is sooo annoying
  • happy1964
    Options
    might have to try swimming, sounds soothing! Thanks!:happy:
  • kthom
    Options
    If there is it really works. If not and you are still having trouble I will bring my needles. I am pretty sure we are going to come out.
  • welly5
    welly5 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    You have my sympathy! Ii had a back injury over a month ago (and my back has had issues for years) and back pain is so horrible!!!

Are you seeing a physio therapist?? I would be dead dead dead without mine. A good physio will know what excersizes to give you, its actually a bad idea to develop your own based on suggestions from someone who doesn't know what the reason for your bad back is or what stage of mobility you're at.

I get IMS (intramuscular stimulation) needling at my physio place.. it helps so much with the pain. The needles are big! much bigger than acupuncture but you don't feel them. All you feel is your muscle sort of twinging and grabbing the needle and then relaxing. In the past my physio therapy was just massage, heat, and excersizes. I go to a different place now and they have added the IMS and I'm very very pleased with it.

Here a good link about it http://www.intramuscularstimulation.com/2.htm

Plus physio therapists need lots extra schooling and updating to do IMS so its nice to know that you are getting someone who has knowledge about current medical findings.

Good luck with your back.. I'm working towards being able to work out again in the sort-of -near-future. :D
  • happy1964
    Options
    sounds good Kim!
  • happy1964
    Options
    Thanks looks interesting, I have been going for massage and she gave me some stretches to do. Will have to see if anyone offers IMS here.
    :smile:

You have my sympathy! Ii had a back injury over a month ago (and my back has had issues for years) and back pain is so horrible!!!

Are you seeing a physio therapist?? I would be dead dead dead without mine. A good physio will know what excersizes to give you, its actually a bad idea to develop your own based on suggestions from someone who doesn't know what the reason for your bad back is or what stage of mobility you're at.

I get IMS (intramuscular stimulation) needling at my physio place.. it helps so much with the pain. The needles are big! much bigger than acupuncture but you don't feel them. All you feel is your muscle sort of twinging and grabbing the needle and then relaxing. In the past my physio therapy was just massage, heat, and excersizes. I go to a different place now and they have added the IMS and I'm very very pleased with it.

Here a good link about it http://www.intramuscularstimulation.com/2.htm

Plus physio therapists need lots extra schooling and updating to do IMS so its nice to know that you are getting someone who has knowledge about current medical findings.

Good luck with your back.. I'm working towards being able to work out again in the sort-of -near-future. :D
  • happy1964
    Options
    when is Family day?

If there is it really works. If not and you are still having trouble I will bring my needles. I am pretty sure we are going to come out.
  • kthom
    Options
    Third weekend in February.