Are slimming belts effective

Options
My friend just bought a slimming belt. It was but one get one half off, so she got me one too. Do they work?

Replies

• LunaDoll08
    LunaDoll08 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I wanted to know the same thing to.
  • ReneR4
    ReneR4 Posts: 42
    Options
    If it's one of those sweat belts then definitely yes! I use mine when I workout and it's usually soaked (gross, I know) by the time I'm done with my workout.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    No it doesn't work. It may get soaked with sweat but it doesn't mean it works. That excess sweat will be replaced with the first glass of water you drink.

They make you sweat but they won't make you lose weight faster or better.

If it's a gift and it's free, well by all means use it if you want, but, it doesn't do anything more than your regular exercise will do.

Same thing with the sauna shirts, you know those plastic long-sleeved shirts that make you sweat like a pig. You may get dehydrated but it's not burning any more calories than sitting in a hot subway car in the middle of a humid New York summer when even blinking your eyes makes you sweat.

Sorry, it's the truth.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    No it doesn't work. It may get soaked with sweat but it doesn't mean it works. That excess sweat will be replaced with the first glass of water you drink.

They make you sweat but they won't make you lose weight faster or better.

If it's a gift and it's free, well by all means use it if you want, but, it doesn't do anything more than your regular exercise will do.

Sorry, it's the truth.

^pretty much this. I have one and have used it. It never made any difference to my weight loss or cause me to miraculously lose inches around the midsection. It makes you sweat more, but any changes will be temporary. Use one if you want, but don't have high expectations.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    What about the ones that electroshock your abs? I'm sitting at work at a desk 8hrs a day and have often thought about getting one of those to use maybe 10-20 min a day... And yes I do plan to keep exercising and not just rely on the belt to get me abs lol
  • ReneR4
    ReneR4 Posts: 42
    Options
    Well all the sweat motivates me to push even more so I guess mentally it does work for me.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    It doesn't work for fat loss, if that's what you're asking.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Back in 2011 I discovered the magic formula for weight loss and improved muscle tone. Normally I'd charge £99.99 plus shipping & handling for this ancient secret, which I just rediscovered by accident (and which doctors don't want you to know etc.) but because I like this web site I'll post the secret here absolutely free.

The secret (and don't tell anybody who doesn't visit this web site) is this: Eat at a moderate deficit and exercise more.

No belts required.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    No, they are not effective in fat loss.

They cause you to lose water weight, which you will put right back on as soon as you re-hydrate. Useless.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    There's no cheat code for losing weight. Don't waste your money. Watching what you eat, hard work at the gym or a combination of both is the only way to lose weight.

Spot reduction is not possible. Where fat is stored on your body largely depends on genetics, and you can't change those.
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I had no idea what a "slimming belt" was, so I googled it. Found some websites with amazing before and after photos, as well as testimonials about how easy it is. It reminded me of this story... :smile:

http://www.cracked.com/article_21211_5-shocking-realities-behind-ads-weight-loss-products.html
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    My slimming belt, so far, has proven ineffective. Kinda like this guy's:

IPF_World_Champion_Dean_Bowring_performing_the_three_Powerlifting_moves.jpg

I just keep getting more swole by the day.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    What about the ones that electroshock your abs? I'm sitting at work at a desk 8hrs a day and have often thought about getting one of those to use maybe 10-20 min a day... And yes I do plan to keep exercising and not just rely on the belt to get me abs lol

Equally useless. Even if it did strengthen the abs (dubious) it won't do anything to the layer of fat covering your abs, so you will look no different. The only way to achieve abs is to lower body fat, and you do that by eating at a deficit and lifting weights. Stop looking for the quick fix, there are none.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Options

Equally useless. Even if it did strengthen the abs (dubious) it won't do anything to the layer of fat covering your abs, so you will look no different. The only way to achieve abs is to lower body fat, and you do that by eating at a deficit and lifting weights. Stop looking for the quick fix, there are none.

I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing then... eating well, exercising etc. lol I was just crossing my fingers for something to speed up the process. I only have a tiny bit of fat covering up my abs, but I can't seem to get rid of it :(:(
  • Canuname
    Canuname Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Faye_Anderson said:
    Back in 2011 I discovered the magic formula for weight loss and improved muscle tone. Normally I'd charge £99.99 plus shipping & handling for this ancient secret, which I just rediscovered by accident (and which doctors don't want you to know etc.) but because I like this web site I'll post the secret here absolutely free.

The secret (and don't tell anybody who doesn't visit this web site) is this: Eat at a moderate deficit and exercise more.

No belts required.

Well, damn, why couldn't you have told me that a few years ago. All that wasted time. Now I will have to start all over again.
    :drinker: :wink:
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options

I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing then... eating well, exercising etc. lol I was just crossing my fingers for something to speed up the process. I only have a tiny bit of fat covering up my abs, but I can't seem to get rid of it :(:(

I know what you mean. The ab area is really slow to move. But you just have to keep eating at a deficit until it comes off. For a lot of people it's the last to go.
  • cookieinbk82
    cookieinbk82 Posts: 320 Member
    Options

I know what you mean. The ab area is really slow to move. But you just have to keep eating at a deficit until it comes off. For a lot of people it's the last to go.

That's what seems to be the last thing going on me too. I have been working out and eating right, and when I look at myself in the mirror I look ok but when I turn sideways I see a big stomach bulge sticking out.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Options

That's what seems to be the last thing going on me too. I have been working out and eating right, and when I look at myself in the mirror I look ok but when I turn sideways I see a big stomach bulge sticking out.

Super frustrating, but I will not be defeated! Thanks all, I will keep my money instead of buying a belt to electrocute my abs lol