Switching Careers...feeling lost.

Options
dakotababy
dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
Hey everyone, I just wanted to post this because I would not mind some perspective, but I also do not expect replies - I really just need to vent.

I have been working as an addiction counsellor for about 3 years. I went to school specifically for this career...and over the years I have found myself to hate working with addicts. I just feel like my job does not match my values anymore...and I am coming to terms that I need to leave the field and look for something else. My problem is that I dont know what that would be.

I have gone through and listed everything I have interest in, but then I feel like I just "settle" on something, or I go through the pros/cons of each option and just start to feel hopeless. I dont understand how people work in the same position for years, for their whole life. I just feel like no matter what I go into, the vanity would wear off and I will be looking for something else - which is fine, but I cant keep starting over. I am terrified to leave, especially the financial factor and I hope that maybe even if I switch jobs, I can find something that pays ok - and I could go to work happy.

I have never had a job where I was just happy and actually looked forward to going to work. I cant imagine going through life dreading working everyday - and it is mind blowing that people actually do it. I dont know, maybe i just need to "suck it up" and do it anyway...yet on the other hand, I hear of people who find these jobs that they love and look forward to.

The most difficult thing, is that I dont know if I really like working with people. HATED customer services, HATE clients...one person suggest I work with animals, which I LOVE! For a good paying job, I would need to go back to school...like high school to upgrade my sciences. I feel like I am 25 years old and it is just too late to do it. To relocated to a different city, go back to school for how many years...just to work in another job that I MIGHT like. That is so discouraging about school - how do I know I would even like the job? I dont want to spend money and do the time just to find out I hate the job (which is exactly what happened when I became an addiction counsellor).

I currently have a passion for fitness, and have thought about getting my certification. I feel like this could "tie me over' but...deep down, I wonder if I would like to work with people. At least the environment would be more positive? I guess I am just trying to be a perfectionist and find a job that does not exist.

I will be doing some serious thinking and making a decision over the weekend, because I know I need to **** or get off the pot already. Stalling and making excuses is not helping me, and my work is not going to get any better at this point...and I probably will not suddenly have different values any day soon.

Thanks guys.

Replies

• LoneWolf_70
    LoneWolf_70 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    become a stripper. you can work with addicts and drunks and make big money.
  • dakotababy
    Options

...youd like that wouldnt you.
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, trust me. Three years into my career as an attorney- I can't STAND it. It just straight up blows. I had a brief period where I thought of other careers I was interested in and other degrees I could pursue (I didn't totally dismiss the idea of more school, but was not happy about it) including nutritionist, psychologist (yes I toyed with the idea of getting a PhD..), social worker.... ultimately, I decided I did not want my law degree to be a total loss so I started researching jobs where a law degree is useful, but not necessary. I knew i was interested in the non clinical health care field and after what seems like thousands of job applications, networking, talking with ex-attorneys, researching, etc.. i'm now an intern at a major health system's regulatory department. No, not a full time job (yet) but i've found this is a great way to gain experience and determine if you like the career you're considering. If financially possible of course. I'm working part time for my old law firm, so thank god i'm not totally destitute!!!

It's tough to change careers, but I'm 29 and i already wasted money and time on a degree that's really not doing much for me, so you can certainly do it! You have to like -or at least tolerate- what you do or else life is miserable!!
  • LoneWolf_70
    LoneWolf_70 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options

*waves dollah bills yall
  • 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Options

stripper-and-fireman.jpg

Edit: ^ Cyanide & Happiness ^
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    JustAnotherGirlSuzanne Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Do you like working with your hands? Get into a trade of some kind. It's good money, in high demand, and you typically do not have to look at the same four walls all day long.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Could you do a job that's related to your addiction counselling but not actually counselling? For example, training courses for counsellors, social studies research, health journalism? Healthcare management? You might not need to completely retrain but a short course might up skill you.
  • 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Money doesn't always equal happiness... unless you love money and find a common ground on career.

Just look up non-degree job lists and cherry pick possibilities:
    http://www.businessinsider.com/the-40-highest-paying-jobs-you-can-get-without-a-bachelors-degree-2012-8?op=1
  • 1HappyRedhead
    1HappyRedhead Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Sweetie, it's never too late, but at the ripe old age of 25, :wink: , you still have your whole life ahead of you. Hang in there, the decision will come to you, and then you'll be ready to live your life to the fullest!! Best of luck and lots of HUGS!! :flowerforyou:
  • 1HappyRedhead
    1HappyRedhead Posts: 413 Member
    Options

stripper-and-fireman.jpg

That little cartoon is hilarious!! :laugh:
  • goldmay
    goldmay Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Maybe try shadowing or volunteering in areas you might want to work? Like if you're thinking about animals you can contact a vet and see how they work or what their techs do.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Sorry you feel so unmotivated. I'm 35 and back in school (uni), certainly not the only one to do so either.

What made you feel drawn to your current work in the first place? And what specifically makes you feel not happy about your work situation? Can you do some other form of counselling with your current education/competences? What I'm trying to say is are you sure it is the line of work in general that is unappealing or is it the branch of it, working around addicts? Is it the team, your colleagues, or just the clients?
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    25 is very young. I know it doesn't seem like that from your perspective but it's MUCH too early to think you must stay in a field you don't care for if you don't have to.

http://www.careeronestop.org/ is a great place to start doing research on what to do next.

There are lots of jobs that are not in the customer service realm. Your local community college probably has an online page like this one: http://www.midlandstech.edu/counseling/careerresources.html

If you can't get into their resources online without being a student you probably can onsite in their library. Also, the main branch of your local library is likely to have a great many resources about career switching and how to do it. Find the reference librarian and tell her what you are trying to do and they are likely to have a whole area set up for this.

Meanwhile, the current job is paying you so consider that a support for you while you decide to do something else. And remember, it's normal to have "short timer syndrome" at a time like this. You know, but no one else at work knows, that you are not long for this place. Therefore everything that bothered you a little before is going to annoy you big time now. I can't explain why this is true but it is.

So try to keep the issues of the current job in proportion while you do the investigation and preparation for a different career. And whatever you do, try not to let your coworkers -- even the ones who are friends -- know what you are doing until it's a pretty much done deal. It will make life easier if you don't need to deal with the implicit or explicit complexities of coworkers' mistrust, jealousy, or premature dismissal of your value to the team.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, I just wanted to post this because I would not mind some perspective, but I also do not expect replies - I really just need to vent.

I have been working as an addiction counsellor for about 3 years. I went to school specifically for this career...and over the years I have found myself to hate working with addicts. I just feel like my job does not match my values anymore...and I am coming to terms that I need to leave the field and look for something else. My problem is that I dont know what that would be.

I have gone through and listed everything I have interest in, but then I feel like I just "settle" on something, or I go through the pros/cons of each option and just start to feel hopeless. I dont understand how people work in the same position for years, for their whole life. I just feel like no matter what I go into, the vanity would wear off and I will be looking for something else - which is fine, but I cant keep starting over. I am terrified to leave, especially the financial factor and I hope that maybe even if I switch jobs, I can find something that pays ok - and I could go to work happy.

I have never had a job where I was just happy and actually looked forward to going to work. I cant imagine going through life dreading working everyday - and it is mind blowing that people actually do it. I dont know, maybe i just need to "suck it up" and do it anyway...yet on the other hand, I hear of people who find these jobs that they love and look forward to.

The most difficult thing, is that I dont know if I really like working with people. HATED customer services, HATE clients...one person suggest I work with animals, which I LOVE! For a good paying job, I would need to go back to school...like high school to upgrade my sciences. I feel like I am 25 years old and it is just too late to do it. To relocated to a different city, go back to school for how many years...just to work in another job that I MIGHT like. That is so discouraging about school - how do I know I would even like the job? I dont want to spend money and do the time just to find out I hate the job (which is exactly what happened when I became an addiction counsellor).

I currently have a passion for fitness, and have thought about getting my certification. I feel like this could "tie me over' but...deep down, I wonder if I would like to work with people. At least the environment would be more positive? I guess I am just trying to be a perfectionist and find a job that does not exist.

I will be doing some serious thinking and making a decision over the weekend, because I know I need to **** or get off the pot already. Stalling and making excuses is not helping me, and my work is not going to get any better at this point...and I probably will not suddenly have different values any day soon.

Thanks guys.

You can do volunteer work at an animal shelter and get a feel for what it might be like at a shelter or a vet's office before you go down that path.
  • emily889
    emily889 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I graduated last year with a business degree... woo. It is so vague, it almost doesn't even count as a degree because any good positions you need experience in management. I am all about helping people, but dear god I can't take a bank setting much longer! I am looking into community colleges around here and seeing what I might find interesting. I am 25 and turning 26...and I don't see it as too late to do something different. We are still young... people in their 40's and higher go back to school all the time. Just do a lot of research!! That is what I am doing! Good luck! :happy:
  • dakotababy
    Options
    I feel your pain, trust me. Three years into my career as an attorney- I can't STAND it. It just straight up blows. I had a brief period where I thought of other careers I was interested in and other degrees I could pursue (I didn't totally dismiss the idea of more school, but was not happy about it) including nutritionist, psychologist (yes I toyed with the idea of getting a PhD..), social worker.... ultimately, I decided I did not want my law degree to be a total loss so I started researching jobs where a law degree is useful, but not necessary. I knew i was interested in the non clinical health care field and after what seems like thousands of job applications, networking, talking with ex-attorneys, researching, etc.. i'm now an intern at a major health system's regulatory department. No, not a full time job (yet) but i've found this is a great way to gain experience and determine if you like the career you're considering. If financially possible of course. I'm working part time for my old law firm, so thank god i'm not totally destitute!!!

It's tough to change careers, but I'm 29 and i already wasted money and time on a degree that's really not doing much for me, so you can certainly do it! You have to like -or at least tolerate- what you do or else life is miserable!!

I guess I am in a similar position, I am also just working part time, which gives me lots of time to try new things while still being financially secure for the time being.
  • slomo22
    slomo22 Posts: 125 Member
    Options

70% of the time this works every time
  • dakotababy
    Options
    Do you like working with your hands? Get into a trade of some kind. It's good money, in high demand, and you typically do not have to look at the same four walls all day long.

I actually never really considered this...I think the social standard of those being primarily male positions kind of made me discredit them. This might actually work, in the sense that I dont need to work directly with people in some trades.
  • inneedofanap
    inneedofanap Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Just don't burn your bridges.

At one point I decided I wanted a career change and I moved from healthcare to a big corporation. I hated every single moment I was there. I lasted 2 years before coming back to healthcare.
  • dakotababy
    Options
    Sorry you feel so unmotivated. I'm 35 and back in school (uni), certainly not the only one to do so either.

What made you feel drawn to your current work in the first place? And what specifically makes you feel not happy about your work situation? Can you do some other form of counselling with your current education/competences? What I'm trying to say is are you sure it is the line of work in general that is unappealing or is it the branch of it, working around addicts? Is it the team, your colleagues, or just the clients?

Originally, I wanted to work with youth as a highschool counsellor. After trying university, I did not like the idea of going through 5-6 or more years of school. I found a program in a different city for an addiction counsellor diploma (2 years). I figure - hey, i can work with youth and be a counsellor! So i completed, and got my first job at a youth treatment centre. After 2 years of working with youth - I found them annoying, manipulative and basically liars most of the time. I then switched and worked with adults...and adult addicts are basically teenagers in grown up bodies.

I believe the only other form of counselling that I could do with my diploma would be possibly career counselling, though I might not be thinking out of the box on that. I think at this time, it is mostly working with addicts. I find it difficult to work with people who dont really want to change, but "do so" because probations/social services tells them to, so of course, a lot of the times they are just playing the system.

I am currently working with a health region, so I get paid very well for 2 years in school. I find the health region is actually starting to impose too much (forcing either vaccinations or wearing a mask - becoming very intrusive to control sick time) But really...this is just something that bothers me ontop of everything else. It is like cherry on top, but not really the cause.