Progress/success with minimal exercise?

Options
The gym used to be an integral part of my weight loss plan... but a year and a half ago, I developed a chronic illness that makes any sort of strenuous exercise painful and difficult at best. At worst, I can do serious long-lasting damage. For perspective, there are some days when I refrain from even walking around the block to the store for food because it's too much. It varies by day, by week... sometimes by hour. Planning for exercise is almost impossible. Fibro sucks :indifferent:

I do like to take walks, and I'm planning on starting yoga soon (I hope), but this has been a bad week for me physically so I haven't been able to do a whole lot outside of work.

Anyone have any progress pics or success stories from people who don't do much/any exercise?

Replies

• Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I've made my current progress without exercise, but I started out quite big to begin with. and only now feel energetic enough to start incorporating exercise into my day.

In your situation, gentle exercise is still exercise. Do what you can REASONABLY do. But you CAN still lose weight without exercise if you need to.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    My WOE progress is from what i do in the kitchen and put in my mouth. I do move a lot more now than before and half the time i am bouncing off the walls but i don't do any intentional exercise. That said - Once i am below or at my goal then i will really start focusing on strength training.
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    my weightloss was based on calorie reduction and not exercise. I wanted to create a lifestyle that I could stick to and quite honestly, exercise isn't something I enjoy. I walk on my lunch hour for a half hour three days a week...that's it! And that's even hit and miss.
  • Cielazul
    Cielazul Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I started out solely logging my food intake and trying to keep my caloric intake at my goal. This was quite enough for me to start off with, really. After that was a firm habit (at about one month into it) I started exercising very moderately, but every day, to firm that up as a habit. I did it every day, even during a one week period of illness.

After a month of that I added weight training.

I did just fine in losing weight without exercise, but the exercise has energized me, made me physically stronger, and also allows me to eat a bit more each day.

Just do what you can! I don't run, I walk, and it feels great! Anything you can do will be helpful. There was an article in the NYTimes yesterday about how running as little as 5 minutes daily has tremendously good effects on health and longevity.

Push yourself a little, if you want to, but don't feel guilty or ashamed of your limitations. Take care of yourself.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    I lost 20 lbs without any exercise at all - as a couch potato. It's stalling a bit now since I'm not strict enough and because I'm already in the middle of my BMI, so it would have slowed down anyway.
  • yasmine334
    yasmine334 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I have made my progress so far (27 lbs) with minimal exercise, I do walk a lot and I also cycle occasionally. but I dont have a regular exercising plan or anything. just low carb+calories deficit.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    My loss through mid-April (24 lbs) was all from diet only. Since then, I walk 1 hr a day for exercise - that's it, and even then I had 3 weeks off because I tore my knee cartilege. I had a lot to lose (starting BMI was obese), but it's perfectly possible. I think you just have to be more careful about logging and food portion accuracy.

Good luck to you!
  • yellowlemoned
    yellowlemoned Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I don't exercise much at all. I'd say maybe once or twice a month I'll do some zumba but that's on a good month. As far as success, I've lost 52 lbs already. If you want before and after pictures, check my profile. Before is the one from a wedding (#7) and after is from this past March (#8)
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I started looking into The Wahls Protocol since it referenced my illness. I've heard that it also had shown improvement for pain related to fibro. There are various food related recommendations in this link.

https://www.inspire.com/groups/fibromyalgia/discussion/terry-wahls-protocol-for-nutritionally-treating-fibro/

This is a quote from my questions on the topic:
    I have based my diet on Terry Whals, with some variety as I have food allergies

Since changing my diet 12 months ago I have lost 40kg (88lb) and I am basically symptom free.. i get fatigued easier than the average person... but no like i used to... migraines are gone.. restless legs (etc) is a rare occurrence (only when I am too warm in bed)

Just to mention 12 months ago I was in hospital, They thought I had a stroke, the whole right side of my body was non-responsive. (it turned out to be my Diagnosis point for MS)

with 12 months on a 9cups of veggies a day, dairy free, gluten free (not gluten free anymore - just low gluten), yeast free, natural ingredients (no packets where possible) DIET (basically Whals) There is no Physical sign of my flare (they even did a nerve conduction test and there was no damage at all)

I'm also taking a High Dose Magnesium(700mg per day) supplement, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Zinc, and VitD (5000Ui)

Feel free to add me and flick through my diary...

Allie

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1344704-the-wahls-protocol

ETA: I wasn't feeling well enough for physical activity most of this year. I lost 37 pounds with zero exercise.
  • L0te
    L0te Posts: 14
    Options
    Wow, this really makes me feel better! I definitely plan to do what I can, when I can, but its really a relief seeing how well people have done without regular exercise routines.
  • 98bikinisuitedlbs
    98bikinisuitedlbs Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I joined mfp due to 10 lbs gain over 4 yos. Gain and lost same 5 lbs the last couple years from cardio alone and injured my R knee for the 3 rd time. I have made the most significant progress the day of my surgery 7/ 7 due to fasting and no weight baring on R knee after micro for tour surgery. Lost 7lbs overall for the month of July. CW 101, 5'1 and hoping to get to 98 to maintain. I have reduced my calories significantly and I try to have a low calorie dinner as I continue to make progress though I struggle with wanting to more refined sugar and carbs..

After i recover will be doing Pilates 3 times a week and weekend walks,,
  • L0te
    Options
    I started looking into The Wahls Protocol since it referenced my illness. I've heard that it also had shown improvement for pain related to fibro. There are various food related recommendations in this link.

https://www.inspire.com/groups/fibromyalgia/discussion/terry-wahls-protocol-for-nutritionally-treating-fibro/

This is a quote from my questions on the topic:
    I have based my diet on Terry Whals, with some variety as I have food allergies

Since changing my diet 12 months ago I have lost 40kg (88lb) and I am basically symptom free.. i get fatigued easier than the average person... but no like i used to... migraines are gone.. restless legs (etc) is a rare occurrence (only when I am too warm in bed)

Just to mention 12 months ago I was in hospital, They thought I had a stroke, the whole right side of my body was non-responsive. (it turned out to be my Diagnosis point for MS)

with 12 months on a 9cups of veggies a day, dairy free, gluten free (not gluten free anymore - just low gluten), yeast free, natural ingredients (no packets where possible) DIET (basically Whals) There is no Physical sign of my flare (they even did a nerve conduction test and there was no damage at all)

I'm also taking a High Dose Magnesium(700mg per day) supplement, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Zinc, and VitD (5000Ui)

Feel free to add me and flick through my diary...

Allie

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1344704-the-wahls-protocol

ETA: I wasn't feeling well enough for physical activity most of this year. I lost 37 pounds with zero exercise.

This looks interesting!

About 2 months ago, I tried a 7 day cleanse diet where I ate nothing but fresh fruit/veg, meat, and some yogurt. By the end of it I felt fantastic, but that diet is not sustainable for me, for affordability, ease (I hate cooking and I'm terrible at it), and feeling deprived.

I have gone wheat/gluten-free since the end of that diet to see if that in particular was responsible, but some other factors have been flaring my symptoms lately so it's hard to tell. Maybe I will have to try upping the veg and removing dairy for a while...
  • MeRoHa
    MeRoHa Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Last July I felt like I would never see the lighter side of life. Topping out at about 280 pounds in mid July 2013, I joined MFP and dedicated myself to becoming healthier.Today I am at 170 pounds. I am not at my goal but am a lot closer to it.

I also have multiple health conditions including fibromyalgia, asthma, chronic pain and a neuromuscular disease called Myasthenia Gravis. So exercise can be very difficult and often painful. I started by doing exercise in 5 to 10 minute sessions. Sometimes walking, sometimes dancing, sometimes Wii Fit. When I could get to the gym - water exercise. I started with a goal of 20 to 30 minutes a day of exercise. I worked my way up to 30 minutes to an hour a day of exercise. The changes in my eating habits and the regular movement helped to reduce my flares of pain. Of course there were days or weeks when pain caused me to reduce or go light on my exercise. On those days I try to make sure I stay at or under my calorie goal.

This month I have just been trying to maintain things because I had surgery the 1st of July and will not be cleared to do any aerobic exercise until after I am cleared to exercise by my doctor. Being stuck at home unable to exercise, drive, work, etc. would have normally been a huge trigger for me to overeat, but I have been sticking to my plan. I have come too far to lose progress now.

So do what you can. Even a little 5 to 10 minutes of Tai Chi will at least get you moving. Just do not try to do a lot on days you feel good, because that can trigger a wave of pain. Just do what you can. It can help your body, mind and spirit.

But please make sure you consult your doctor(s) as to what exercises are best for you as each of us are different and our tolerances are also.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I went from 142 -> 117 with nothing but diet and an occasional (by which I mean once or twice a week) casual walk. I was walking the dog, so if I burned more than 50 cals per walk I'd be surprised.

It can be done with just diet. Obviously, adding in exercise helps. I'd look into a bodyweight strength program - those you can do practically anywhere, at anytime that you feel up to it.
  • L0te
    Options
    Last July I felt like I would never see the lighter side of life. Topping out at about 280 pounds in mid July 2013, I joined MFP and dedicated myself to becoming healthier.Today I am at 170 pounds. I am not at my goal but am a lot closer to it.

I also have multiple health conditions including fibromyalgia, asthma, chronic pain and a neuromuscular disease called Myasthenia Gravis. So exercise can be very difficult and often painful. I started by doing exercise in 5 to 10 minute sessions. Sometimes walking, sometimes dancing, sometimes Wii Fit. When I could get to the gym - water exercise. I started with a goal of 20 to 30 minutes a day of exercise. I worked my way up to 30 minutes to an hour a day of exercise. The changes in my eating habits and the regular movement helped to reduce my flares of pain. Of course there were days or weeks when pain caused me to reduce or go light on my exercise. On those days I try to make sure I stay at or under my calorie goal.

This month I have just been trying to maintain things because I had surgery the 1st of July and will not be cleared to do any aerobic exercise until after I am cleared to exercise by my doctor. Being stuck at home unable to exercise, drive, work, etc. would have normally been a huge trigger for me to overeat, but I have been sticking to my plan. I have come too far to lose progress now.

So do what you can. Even a little 5 to 10 minutes of Tai Chi will at least get you moving. Just do not try to do a lot on days you feel good, because that can trigger a wave of pain. Just do what you can. It can help your body, mind and spirit.

But please make sure you consult your doctor(s) as to what exercises are best for you as each of us are different and our tolerances are also.

Thank you and that is so awesome what you've done.

I appreciate -everyone's- input but I was really hoping to hear something like this. I have been limiting myself a lot to prevent flares but maybe slowly building up stamina is what I really need to be doing. You are inspiring!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!